Backing up network drives with windows

John Drescher
On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:33 AM, Bernd Plagge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using Bacula for years to backup my Linux boxes.
> Thanks for a great program!
>
> Now I need to back up a Windows machine.
> Fixed drives (C, D, etc) are no problem.
> However, one of the LAN devices is a disk storage array with built-in Samba. It can be configured as a domain member and the various directories are shareable.
>
> I didn't succeed to accessing the directories as \\hdd-box\directory1 or //hdd-box/directory1 or as Z:/directory1
> How can I backup this box.

The reason why this did not work is bacula will run as user SYSTEM or
(something other) where this drive is not mapped under that users
context. Also I bet the UNC paths failed because the local SYSTEM user
probably has no rights in hdd-box.

John

--
John M. Drescher

Re: Backing up network drives with windows

John Drescher
> I'm not quite convinced - for two reasons
> 1) I did some tests starting bacula-dir, bacula-sd, bacula-fd manually and got the some results

You ran bacula-fd directly in a command window?

> 2) The backup target is a TrueCrypt drive assigned to a drive letter

That will not work when run as a service. It may work when bacula-fd
runs in in a cmd window as the logged on user.

> If I used UNC paths what would the right syntax be?
> References to start-before jobs etc are written as C:\\directory\program while file sets are written with a forward slash. Which one would be the correct synxtax.

Use forward slashes.

> I know how to check the number of files considered for backup using the 'estimate' command but is there another way like a debug log?

Not that I know of.

John

Fwd: Backing up network drives with windows

John Drescher
> > I'm not quite convinced - for two reasons
> > 1) I did some tests starting bacula-dir, bacula-sd, bacula-fd manually and got the some results
> >
> You ran bacula-fd directly in a command window?
>
> > 2) The backup target is a TrueCrypt drive assigned to a drive letter
> >
> That will not work when run as a service. It may work when bacula-fd
> runs in in a cmd window as the logged on user.
>
> > If I used UNC paths what would the right syntax be?
> > References to start-before jobs etc are written as C:\\directory\program while file sets are written with a forward slash. Which one would be the correct synxtax.
>
> Use forward slashes.
>
> > I know how to check the number of files considered for backup using the 'estimate' command but is there another way like a debug log?
> >
> Not that I know of.
>
> John

Hi John,

I did some more tests today.

Windows machine in questions is a Win 2000 server.
Services will use by default the local service user but a different
user can be configured.
It is also possible to keep desktop assignments.

The Windows versions of bacula-dir, bacula-sd and bacula-fd have
several command line switches one of them being '/debug'. I tried this
but it didn't produce any additional output. Maybe this is written to
a different log file? Does anybody have experience with this?

I tried to backup a HDD share without any permission limitations
(readable and writeable by everyone) but even that didn't work.
Because of missing debug output and error messages I don't have any
clue what is going on. Is it a permission problem (which it shouldn't)
or is it a syntax problem.

BTW, is there anything like strace for Windows?

Cheers,
Bernd

- --
Bernd Plagge - プラゲ ベェアント
First Choice Internet Ltd., Tokyo - ファースト・チョイス・インターネット(有)
Tel. 03-4500-7799 - Fax. 03-4400-3723
mail: [hidden email] - url: http://www.choicenet.ne.jp
                       *** Campaign ***
Affordable Web Sites http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/hpcampaign.html
ホームページキャンペーン  http://choicenet.ne.jp/jp/hpcampaign.html
FREE Web Assessment: http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/website_assessment.html
Web Design:          http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/webdesign.html
Web Hosting:         http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/hosting.html
Net Support:         http://choicenet.ne.jp/en/netsupport.html
                       *******************
無料ウエブサイト評価     http://choicenet.ne.jp/jp/website_assessment.html
ウエブデザイン:          http://choicenet.ne.jp/jp/webdesign.html
ウエブホスティング:      http://choicenet.ne.jp/jp/hosting.html
ネットワークサポート:    http://choicenet.ne.jp/jp/netsupport.html

--
John M. Drescher

Re: Fwd: Backing up network drives with windows

yistoneriver

I wrote  a WSH script to mount a network drive, supplying with user name and password (the user had full privileges to the network drive) and executes it in the "ClientRunBeforeJob" directive.  This is not net, but seems to work so far.

To obtain more detailed messages, please follow the instructions in this section of Bacula online manual:
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Windows_Version_Bacula.html#SECTION004240000000000000000

You should specify log level at least 300.

-yuji