Backup fails after update to 9.0.0

Uwe Schuerkamp
Hi folks,

I recently updated our four bacula servers to 9.0.0. Everything went
rather smoothly except for one job which now fails with the following
error message.

17-Jul 11:35 deniolXXXXX-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: bsock.c:569 Packet
size=1073741835 too big from "Client: YYYY-fd:YYYY:9102. Terminating connection.

I've compiled 9.0.0 from source (CentOS 6 running on all servers).

Any idea what could be causing this? Many thanks in advance for your
comments & suggestions,

Uwe

--
Uwe Schürkamp | email: <[hidden email]>
Arvato Systems S4M GmbH | Sitz Köln | Amtsgericht Köln HRB 27038

Re: Backup fails after update to 9.0.0

Kern Sibbald
Hello Uwe,

My best guess is that for some reason, your Director may not have lz4
properly built, so it does not support the new Bacula comm line
compression, and on the client that failed, it is doing comm line
compression.  That is typically with version 9.0 what leads to the
packet size being too big.   One way to test this is to explicitly set:

   CommCompression = no

In your Client resource.

You can also try setting the same directive in the bacula-dir.conf for
the Director resource.

If you still have problems, I would like to see exactly what Bacula
version, hardware (32bit/64bit, CPU architecture, ...), and OS the
client is running.

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 12:23:34PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello Uwe,
>
> My best guess is that for some reason, your Director may not have lz4
> properly built, so it does not support the new Bacula comm line compression,
> and on the client that failed, it is doing comm line compression.  That is
> typically with version 9.0 what leads to the packet size being too big.
> One way to test this is to explicitly set:
>
>   CommCompression = no
>
> In your Client resource.
>
> You can also try setting the same directive in the bacula-dir.conf for the
> Director resource.
>
> If you still have problems, I would like to see exactly what Bacula version,
> hardware (32bit/64bit, CPU architecture, ...), and OS the client is running.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern

Thanks for your reply, Kern.

It turned out I forgot to update one bacula instance which was still
running 7.4.4, so naturally this director got into trouble trying to
communicate with a 9.0.0 instance on the other end.

All the best, Uwe

--
Uwe Schürkamp | email: <[hidden email]>
Geschäftsführer: Ralf Schürmann | Dr. Manfred Heinen