Bacula Community on SBC/SFFC as SOHO Backup Appliance

Bacula Community on SBC/SFFC as SOHO Backup Appliance

Daniel Dickinson
Hi all,

I've got 'scratch my own itch' project I've got in the planning stages
for Bacula Community.  I'm looking at running Bacula on a Pi or Pi2
(depends what's not in use and the TLS CPU requirements) for my home
office.  Currently use Alpine but I want to move to using some work I've
done with Yocto-OE to have a squashfs (read-only) rootfs with the only
rw parts the configuration, working dirs (like /var), and the volume
storage.  This is intended as PoC for an embedded Backup Appliance
using Bacula (in addition to satifying various private reasons for
wanting to do this).  Obviously there speed limit is relatively low
because of USB 2.0 limitation on Pi / Pi2, but upgrading the storage
transfer rate will have to wait for room in the budget (and for the
small number of hosts / mostly small hosts which I'm doing backups,
there is a really need for more speed).

Anyway once I have more to report, on github, would folk on list
be interested?  (Long term I hope to develop a WebUI for controlling
the device, including managing local and cloud storage, networking,
and of course Bacula itself (though I need to look in to existing
WebUI's to see if they'll work for this use case first to see if I need
to work on that).

Regards,

Daniel

Re: Bacula Community on SBC/SFFC as SOHO Backup Appliance

Heitor Faria

> Hi all,

Hello, Daniel,

> I've got 'scratch my own itch' project I've got in the planning stages
> for Bacula Community.  I'm looking at running Bacula on a Pi or Pi2
> (depends what's not in use and the TLS CPU requirements) for my home
> office.  Currently use Alpine but I want to move to using some work I've
> done with Yocto-OE to have a squashfs (read-only) rootfs with the only
> rw parts the configuration, working dirs (like /var), and the volume
> storage.  This is intended as PoC for an embedded Backup Appliance
> using Bacula (in addition to satifying various private reasons for
> wanting to do this).  Obviously there speed limit is relatively low
> because of USB 2.0 limitation on Pi / Pi2, but upgrading the storage
> transfer rate will have to wait for room in the budget (and for the
> small number of hosts / mostly small hosts which I'm doing backups,
> there is a really need for more speed).

I was meditating about this some years ago. For backup workload I concluded a model with built-in gigabit Ethernet interface and 3.0 USB would be better <https://www.amazon.com/ODROID-XU4-Single-Board-Computer-Gigabit/dp/B0163GEA64>.
Since I live in Brazil where importing taxes are absurd, I never executed this experiment.

> Anyway once I have more to report, on github, would folk on list
> be interested?  (Long term I hope to develop a WebUI for controlling
> the device, including managing local and cloud storage, networking,
> and of course Bacula itself (though I need to look in to existing
> WebUI's to see if they'll work for this use case first to see if I need
> to work on that).

Maybe creating another child mailing list would organize this project better.

> Regards,
>
> Daniel

Heitor Medrado de Faria | EB-1 Visa | LPIC-III | ITIL-F | EMC 05-001| Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
• Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/
+55 61 98268-4220 | http://bacula.us

On 2017-07-18 09:39 AM, Heitor Faria wrote:

>> Hi all,
>
> Hello, Daniel,
>
>> I've got 'scratch my own itch' project I've got in the planning stages
>> for Bacula Community.  I'm looking at running Bacula on a Pi or Pi2
>> (depends what's not in use and the TLS CPU requirements) for my home
>> office.  Currently use Alpine but I want to move to using some work I've
>> done with Yocto-OE to have a squashfs (read-only) rootfs with the only
>> rw parts the configuration, working dirs (like /var), and the volume
>> storage.  This is intended as PoC for an embedded Backup Appliance
>> using Bacula (in addition to satifying various private reasons for
>> wanting to do this).  Obviously there speed limit is relatively low
>> because of USB 2.0 limitation on Pi / Pi2, but upgrading the storage
>> transfer rate will have to wait for room in the budget (and for the
>> small number of hosts / mostly small hosts which I'm doing backups,
>> there is a really need for more speed).
>
> I was meditating about this some years ago. For backup workload I concluded a model with built-in gigabit Ethernet interface and 3.0 USB would be better <https://www.amazon.com/ODROID-XU4-Single-Board-Computer-Gigabit/dp/B0163GEA64>.
> Since I live in Brazil where importing taxes are absurd, I never executed this experiment.

I'm doing okay on Alpine with a Pi2 (backups of the biggest host do take
around six hours but all the others hosts are quite small, and that's
only for full backups, so while not ideal, it's manageable at preset),
but my plan, when I can budget for adding a USB 3.0 + gigabit SBC/SFFC,
I will do so.  Since I'll be using Yocto-OE (and currently alpine),
which between ARM and x86_64 isn't difficult, so doing a PoC on Pi works
well (for me; the idea is that the firmware should be workable on
whatever device a user choose; I just happen to have spare Pi's).

>> Anyway once I have more to report, on github, would folk on list
>> be interested?  (Long term I hope to develop a WebUI for controlling
>> the device, including managing local and cloud storage, networking,
>> and of course Bacula itself (though I need to look in to existing
>> WebUI's to see if they'll work for this use case first to see if I need
>> to work on that).
>
> Maybe creating another child mailing list would organize this project better.

Depends on the level of interest, I think (and can non-Admins add lists?)

Regards,

Daniel