Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

It has been a while since I have sent a Bacula status report, so it is a
bit longer than usual.  In this report, I have five things to mention:

1. Bacula Systems Support Job
2. Bacula Training course
3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0
4. No rpms for version 5.2.0
5. New Bacula Systems CEO

1. Bacula Systems Support Job:

Recently I announced on these lists a Bacula Systems Support Job in the
US, and I am very pleased to say that several members of the community
showed an interest and shortly we will have a new employee (details to
be announced next status report) that came from among you :-)

Bacula Systems now has a similar position open in Europe, so if you like
working with Bacula, have good sys admin skills, like helping customers,
and want to learn more about Bacula, perhaps you would be interested in
the job that is now open.  If so, please see:

http://www.baculasystems.com/index.php/company/careers/item/270.html

2. Bacula Training course:

Due to some last minute cancellations, we have a few places available in
the Bacula Administration I Course that I will be teaching on the 15-17
November in Yverdon-les-Bains, Switzerland.  The only requirement for
this course is that you have reasonable system administrator skills on
Linux.

If you would like to learn more about the course, please go to:

    www.baculasystems.com -> Training Course Schedule

If you are with a company, I offer you a 15% discount for one person and
more for two.  If you are a community member (not being paid by a
company to come to the course), I can offer you a *very* substantial
price reduction as our way of giving back to the community.
There are, however, a limited number of "community" places available in
each course we give.  Last time I made this offer, a community member
was able to profit from it, and I hope you can do the same.

If you are interested in the community discount, please send me an email
directly, rather than register on the web site, and I will ensure you
can get into the class at a discount.

This course was originally intended for beginners, but over the years we
have been giving it, we have realized that quite a number of experienced
Bacula users have attended the course, and they have all been very
satisfied.

As mentioned above, I will either be teaching the course myself, so
hopefully you will join me in the course and have dinner with me on the
18 of November.

3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0

Bacula version 5.2.0 is ready.  However, I have been holding it back
because the normal community testing is not happening.  The only user
helping us to test is DassIT (thanks very much). This means that the new
version has not been tested enough on FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Solaris.
That said, I have done preliminary building and testing on Mac OS and
a number of Linux releases (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES).

This is a major feature upgrade with quite a number of bug fixes as
well.  It is in the current git repo (hosted on bacula.org).
In any case, we will be releasing it probably this weekend -- hopefully
by then community members will have done additional testing.

4. No rpms for version 5.2.0

I am sorry to announce that Scott Barninger who has long served as the
rpm builder for many years has decided to do other things. I wish him
the best and thank him for all the hard work he did over many years. I
have contacted several community members, and there is a possibility
that they will pickup building rpm binaries for us, but for the moment,
this is not sure.  As a consequence, with much regret on my part, when
version 5.2.0 is released, there will initially be no binaries.

5. New Bacula Systems CEO

As many of you know, over the last 6-9 months, I have been very involved
with Bacula Systems, and now I am pleased to announce that Bacula
Systems has a new CEO, Frank Barker. Frank started his IT career with
Hewlett-Packard in the UK, rising through Support and Sales into
Management before moving to the HP EMEA headquarters in Geneva to run
their Telco, Financial Services and Global Accounts businesses. He
subsequently ran HP's Consulting and Systems Integration business across
EMEA, then moved to the US to setup a worldwide division around cloud
computing. Prior to joining Bacula Systems, Frank was CEO and Managing
Director for several technology companies in software and security and
has a track record of successfully growing technology companies. He is a
graduate of Harvard Business School and holds and Honours Degree in
Electronics from Strathclyde University in Scotland.

I am personally very pleased that Frank has joined Bacula Systems, for
lots of reasons, but mostly because it has permitted me to once again
devote full time to Bacula development :-)

Re: Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

Phil Stracchino-3
On 10/26/11 11:09, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> 3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0
>
> Bacula version 5.2.0 is ready.  However, I have been holding it back
> because the normal community testing is not happening.  The only user
> helping us to test is DassIT (thanks very much). This means that the new
> version has not been tested enough on FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Solaris.
> That said, I have done preliminary building and testing on Mac OS and
> a number of Linux releases (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES).

Kern,
I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
as I get a chance.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  [hidden email]   [hidden email]   [hidden email]

Re: Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

Ben Walton
Excerpts from Phil Stracchino's message of Wed Oct 26 11:27:43 -0400 2011:

> I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
> as I get a chance.

I'll do the same.  I'll do solaris 9 too if that's a concern?  (It's
EOL this month unless you're paying the big bucks.)

I can also look at helping out with the rpm packaging too although my
time is limited these days so help would be appreciated.  I can target
RHEL5 and RHEL6 and maintain the .spec file.

Thanks
-Benk
--
Ben Walton
Systems Programmer - CHASS

On 10/26/11 11:27, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 10/26/11 11:09, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> 3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0
>>
>> Bacula version 5.2.0 is ready.  However, I have been holding it back
>> because the normal community testing is not happening.  The only user
>> helping us to test is DassIT (thanks very much). This means that the new
>> version has not been tested enough on FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Solaris.
>> That said, I have done preliminary building and testing on Mac OS and
>> a number of Linux releases (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES).
>
> Kern,
> I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
> as I get a chance.

Kern,
Looks like the DB upgrade scripts for 5.2.0 can upgrade the DB from
v5.0, but not from v5.1.  I have a v13 database.  I'm patching the DB
manually right now, but this may leave people who've been experimenting
with 5.1 stranded.

Anything I need to watch out for here...?

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  [hidden email]   [hidden email]   [hidden email]
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

How we do releases including the numbering system is documented in the
manual.

Version 5.2.0 is currently in the bacula.org git branch named
"Branch-5.1", this means
that it has not yet been released.  Thus HEAD is the current 5.2.0
pending release.  Note
until it is officially released, we may push a few more patches,
especially if the testing
shows up any problems we can correct.

Once it is released, we will rename Branch-5.1 to be Branch-5.2 and we will
add a Release-5.2.0 tag to the HEAD at release.   Subsequent production
patches
and new "patch" releases will be in that branch.  Each release will all
have a tag.

We will also start a new branch that will be called Branch-5.3, which
will contain
"unstable" development code for the next release.

I don't see any need to change our current numbering system, it has
worked very well for
quite a long time.

On 10/26/2011 05:27 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 10/26/11 11:09, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> 3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0
>>
>> Bacula version 5.2.0 is ready.  However, I have been holding it back
>> because the normal community testing is not happening.  The only user
>> helping us to test is DassIT (thanks very much). This means that the new
>> version has not been tested enough on FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Solaris.
>> That said, I have done preliminary building and testing on Mac OS and
>> a number of Linux releases (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES).
> Kern,
> I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
> as I get a chance.

Thanks, that will be a big help.

On 10/26/2011 05:36 PM, Ben Walton wrote:

> Excerpts from Phil Stracchino's message of Wed Oct 26 11:27:43 -0400 2011:
>
>> I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
>> as I get a chance.
> I'll do the same.  I'll do solaris 9 too if that's a concern?  (It's
> EOL this month unless you're paying the big bucks.)
>
> I can also look at helping out with the rpm packaging too although my
> time is limited these days so help would be appreciated.  I can target
> RHEL5 and RHEL6 and maintain the .spec file.

Great.  I have updated all the .spec files.  However, I haven't tried
building
an rpm with them, so there is a high probability they will need some
tweaking.

Yes, the spec files have a lot of very old version support, which makes them
rather complicated because of all the if's.

On 10/27/2011 04:15 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 10/26/11 11:27, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> On 10/26/11 11:09, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> 3. Bacula Release version 5.2.0
>>>
>>> Bacula version 5.2.0 is ready.  However, I have been holding it back
>>> because the normal community testing is not happening.  The only user
>>> helping us to test is DassIT (thanks very much). This means that the new
>>> version has not been tested enough on FreeBSD, Mac OS, and Solaris.
>>> That said, I have done preliminary building and testing on Mac OS and
>>> a number of Linux releases (RedHat, Ubuntu, SLES).
>> Kern,
>> I'll pull it down and fire up a test installation on Solaris 10 as soon
>> as I get a chance.
> Kern,
> Looks like the DB upgrade scripts for 5.2.0 can upgrade the DB from
> v5.0, but not from v5.1.  I have a v13 database.  I'm patching the DB
> manually right now, but this may leave people who've been experimenting
> with 5.1 stranded.
>
> Anything I need to watch out for here...?
Uh, well we don't usually provide scripts for upgrading from a
development version
simply because it can change a number of times as we add new features.
Depending on exactly when in the development cycle you created the DB,
you may
need to add a few more fields.

I recommend diffing the make_xxx_tables.in script you have for the 5.1
that you used
to the current 5.2.0 script.  That should tell you pretty clearly what
you need to do.

On 10/27/11 15:44, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> Looks like the DB upgrade scripts for 5.2.0 can upgrade the DB from
>> v5.0, but not from v5.1.  I have a v13 database.  I'm patching the DB
>> manually right now, but this may leave people who've been experimenting
>> with 5.1 stranded.
>>
>> Anything I need to watch out for here...?

> I recommend diffing the make_xxx_tables.in script you have for the 5.1
> that you used
> to the current 5.2.0 script.  That should tell you pretty clearly what
> you need to do.

I just compared what the script was doing to the existing schema and
made the necessary changes by hand.  Wasn't a problem, and nothing
non-obvious showed up.

5.2.0 compiled on the first try on Solaris 10u9 x86_64 once I got
32/64-bit build issues resolved (I hate the hybrid 64+32-bit default
Solaris build, and wish I could install it 64-bit only).  Fired up
without any problems and appears to be working fine so far.  I do notice
that 5.0.3 BAT seems to have some slight problems talking to a 5.2.0
Director; specifically, the restore browser in the 5.0.3 BAT doesn't
work properly against a 5.2.0 director.  There's probably nothing I can
do about that until I can find, or make, a Bacula-5.2.0 Gentoo ebuild.

--
  Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
  [hidden email]   [hidden email]   [hidden email]
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.

Re: Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

Kern Sibbald
On 10/27/2011 10:07 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On 10/27/11 15:44, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> Looks like the DB upgrade scripts for 5.2.0 can upgrade the DB from
>>> v5.0, but not from v5.1.  I have a v13 database.  I'm patching the DB
>>> manually right now, but this may leave people who've been experimenting
>>> with 5.1 stranded.
>>>
>>> Anything I need to watch out for here...?
>> I recommend diffing the make_xxx_tables.in script you have for the 5.1
>> that you used
>> to the current 5.2.0 script.  That should tell you pretty clearly what
>> you need to do.
> I just compared what the script was doing to the existing schema and
> made the necessary changes by hand.  Wasn't a problem, and nothing
> non-obvious showed up.
>
> 5.2.0 compiled on the first try on Solaris 10u9 x86_64 once I got
> 32/64-bit build issues resolved (I hate the hybrid 64+32-bit default
> Solaris build, and wish I could install it 64-bit only).  Fired up
> without any problems and appears to be working fine so far.
Great.

> I do notice
> that 5.0.3 BAT seems to have some slight problems talking to a 5.2.0
> Director; specifically, the restore browser in the 5.0.3 BAT doesn't
> work properly against a 5.2.0 director.  There's probably nothing I can
> do about that until I can find, or make, a Bacula-5.2.0 Gentoo ebuild.
Yes, Bat is very specific to the Director version, so what you
are seeing is to be expected, especially since we made a lot
of enhancements in the 5.2.0 bat.

Thanks for the quick turnaround.

Re: Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

John Drescher
On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/27/11 15:44, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> Looks like the DB upgrade scripts for 5.2.0 can upgrade the DB from
>>> v5.0, but not from v5.1.  I have a v13 database.  I'm patching the DB
>>> manually right now, but this may leave people who've been experimenting
>>> with 5.1 stranded.
>>>
>>> Anything I need to watch out for here...?
>
>> I recommend diffing the make_xxx_tables.in script you have for the 5.1
>> that you used
>> to the current 5.2.0 script.  That should tell you pretty clearly what
>> you need to do.
>
> I just compared what the script was doing to the existing schema and
> made the necessary changes by hand.  Wasn't a problem, and nothing
> non-obvious showed up.

So you did not make an update script (from 13 to 14) in the process?
Just checking before I spend time creating this myself. I tried to
update to 5.2.1 on my test box (home network - not work) but got
greeted with the incompatible schema and the update script would not
work since I have schema 13 not 12.

John

On 10/30/11 12:59, John Drescher wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I just compared what the script was doing to the existing schema and
>> made the necessary changes by hand.  Wasn't a problem, and nothing
>> non-obvious showed up.
>>

> So you did not make an update script (from 13 to 14) in the process?
> Just checking before I spend time creating this myself. I tried to
> update to 5.2.1 on my test box (home network - not work) but got
> greeted with the incompatible schema and the update script would not
> work since I have schema 13 not 12.

No, I admit I didn't because I only expected to do it once and didn't
figure many other people were going to need to.

I think there were only about three changes.

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/30/11 12:59, John Drescher wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I just compared what the script was doing to the existing schema and
>>> made the necessary changes by hand.  Wasn't a problem, and nothing
>>> non-obvious showed up.
>>>

>> So you did not make an update script (from 13 to 14) in the process?
>> Just checking before I spend time creating this myself. I tried to
>> update to 5.2.1 on my test box (home network - not work) but got
>> greeted with the incompatible schema and the update script would not
>> work since I have schema 13 not 12.
>
> No, I admit I didn't because I only expected to do it once and didn't
> figure many other people were going to need to.
>
> I think there were only about three changes.

Thanks. I will have to check more closely then as I only upped the
schema version..

John

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

Andreas Piesk
Am 26.10.2011 um 17:09 schrieb Kern Sibbald:
> 4. No rpms for version 5.2.0

currently i'm using the packages for RHEL, CentOS, Fedora available at

https://repos.fedorapeople.org/repos/slaanesh/

they're pretty good.

Regards,
-ap

Fwd: [Bacula-users] Bacula Status + Bacula 5.2.0 release

Somehow, the message below, and possibly a few others were picked up by a German site and echoed back to everyone on 17 March 2015.  Note that this message and the others date from 26 October 2011.  You can verify what I am saying by looking at the source headers of the original message.

I am on vacation in Hawaii from 10 March until 8 April 2015 so during that period it is highly unlikely I will be making any new release.  Though I hope now to be able to answer a few emails.  In fact I have had very very bad connectivity here until yesterday when I went to the local Radio Shack and bought a wifi extender.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  If it bothers any of you too much, you might find out who the author is and let him know as I am sure he will fix it.