Bacula Status Report

The last Status Report was in February 2016, so this one is a bit
overdue. That said, I would like to discuss the following subjects:

1. Bacula Release Status

2. Windows Binaries

3. Next Bacula Version

4. Bacula Forks

5. The Storage, Visualisation, Cloud (SVC) awards 2016

1. Bacula Release Status
As probably know, the latest release of Bacula version 7.4.4 was
released on 20 September 2016. Since version 7.4.0, we have had several
minor releases, which are in general due to new MySQL and C++ software
versions that created incompatibilities with Bacula. Hopefully all those
are behind us.

The MySQL problems were:
1. MySQL no longer accepts 0 for a DATETIME default (despite the act
that 0 is a perfectly valid Unix time value). This was fixed by removing
the DEFAULT for all DATETIME fields.
2. MySQL no longer releases the _r.so version of the library needed by
Bacula since they now include the thread safe feature in the standard
library. This was fixed by using more modern tools for detecting libraries.

The C++ problems were that the new GCC 6.0 aggressive compiler behavior
that elides (deletes) code written by the Bacula developers. There is no
benefit to the new GCC aggressive optimization and it breaks a lot of
programs including Bacula. This problem showed up on ArchLinux and
Fedora 24.

2. Windows Binaries
I have now rebuilt the Enterprise Windows binaries to be compatible with
Bacula version 7.4.4. They are currently available in the ww.bacula.org
"Download Center". If you want them for non-personal usage, please go to
the Bacula Systems web site where you will find the binaries at a very
reasonable price.

As soon as possible we will be releasing Bacula binaries built for the
most popular platforms, so I have decided to split the current Download
Center page on www.bacula.org into a Source Download page and a Binaries
Download page. Please take note of it, because I will move the Windows
binaries from the current single download page into the binary download
page.

3. Next Bacula Version
I had expected to release the next major version of Bacula in October or
November, but due to recent massive changes in the Storage Daemon
architecture, it will take me until the March-June time frame to get
everything properly integrated. This will be the first major step in a
large rewrite of the Storage Daemon. The second step will come 6-9
months later (if all goes well).

Basically this first major step has converted the Storage Daemon device
drivers into a class based architecture, which allows us to easily and
more reliably add new drivers, such as deduplication and cloud backup.

4. Bacula Forks
Since Bacula is an Open Source project anyone can take the code and add
to it or modify it as they like. However if they then redistribute it,
they need to abide by the Open Source license. In the case of Bacula
this is GPLv3. When someone forks Bacula, it is a sign that they like to
code.

However, in most cases (not all) forking, in my personal opinion, leads
to duplication of effort, which is a pity since it is difficult to
create a code base such as Bacula. We encourage people to contribute
with patches, bug reports, ideas, and feature requests on our bugs site:
http://bugs.bacula.org/

As you probably know there are several known forks of Bacula, but there
are also least two others that have forked Bacula without any
announcement. One is commercial, and the other seems to be a country
sponsored fork.

Concerning one of the known forks, in September there was a post from
the the main Bareos developer and by far their most experienced
developer announcing that he has quit the project.

This announcement is not a surprise for me as I have been expecting it
at some point, simply because it is very difficult or impossible to be
the only senior developer for a project the size of Bacula and hence for
this particular fork. This announcement reinforces the Bacula position
as the world's most popular and most used Open Source backup software.
Unfortunately for Bareos users, (in my personal opinion) it also puts a
question mark on the future prospects for the project.

A problem of this type is not a possibility for the Bacula project,
because there are multiple senior developers and also Bacula Systems is
constantly developing new code that is flowing back to the community
version. Thus the Bacula project is assured of having a bright future ahead.

5. The SVC Awards 2016
Bacula has been nominated for the SVC awards. The award is based on the
number of votes that the nominee receives. Unfortunately they accept
only votes from buisnesses. So if you are a business (or other entity)
and like Bacula, you might want to vote (hopefully for Bacula). To do
so, please see:

http://www.svcawards.com/

Note, the voting closes 11 November.

Thanks for using Bacula — be happy.

Re: Bacula Status Report

Davin Church-2
At 06:44 AM 10/5/2016, you wrote:
As soon as possible we will be releasing Bacula binaries built for the most popular platforms, ...

I'm almost afraid to ask, but would that possibly include the community version of the Windows Director as well?  (AFAIK, there hasn't been a built release of that since v3.0.3.)

Davin

Re: Bacula Status Report

Kern Sibbald
Hello David,

Someday we will supply a Windows director, but it is a good amount of work, and the demand is very small, so we are working on higher priority projects.  One can run a Linux director in a Windows VM, but I recommend that the catalog database, preferably Postgresql be run directly on the hardware.