Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

Pasi Kärkkäinen
Hello list!

I'm in the process of testing Bacula with some Windows clients
(winbacula 2.2.10-b4) and I'm seeing some VSS problems..

I get this error about half of the times I run the backup job.. I think this
mainly happens just with a single server, not all of them..

JobId 1: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS Win 2003", Drive(s)="C"
JobId 1:      Could not stat C:/Program Files: ERR=Access is denied.
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "System Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FSRM Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "MSDEWriter", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: Job write elapsed time = 00:00:16, Transfer rate = 0  bytes/second
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Event Log Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "COM+ REGDB Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "IIS Metabase Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "BITS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Registry Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FRS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "NTDS", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Certificate Authority", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WMI Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WINS Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Dhcp Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)

And the next I run the same job (1 minute later) it's all fine..
no errors/warning and the job completes fine.

The job is trying to backup "c:\program files".. it's just a small job for
testing purposes.

Some other messages from the job:

Elapsed time:           16 secs
FD Files Written:       0
SD Files Written:       0
FD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
Rate:                   0.0 KB/s
Software Compression:   None
VSS:                    yes
Encryption:             no
Accurate:               no

Non-fatal FD errors:    1
SD Errors:              0
FD termination status:  OK
SD termination status:  OK
Termination:            Backup OK -- with warnings

I can't see any errors/warning in the windows event log..
It's windows 2003 r2 sp2 32bit with winbacula 2.2.10-b4.

On the bacula server I'm running bacula 2.3.28 on CentOS 5.1 atm..

Any ideas how to debug this?

-- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

John Drescher
On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello list!
>
> I'm in the process of testing Bacula with some Windows clients
> (winbacula 2.2.10-b4) and I'm seeing some VSS problems..
>
> I get this error about half of the times I run the backup job.. I think this
> mainly happens just with a single server, not all of them..
>
> JobId 1: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS Win 2003", Drive(s)="C"
> JobId 1:      Could not stat C:/Program Files: ERR=Access is denied.
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "System Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FSRM Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "MSDEWriter", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: Job write elapsed time = 00:00:16, Transfer rate = 0  bytes/second
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Event Log Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "COM+ REGDB Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "IIS Metabase Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "BITS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Registry Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FRS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "NTDS", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Certificate Authority", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WMI Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WINS Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Dhcp Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
>
> And the next I run the same job (1 minute later) it's all fine..
> no errors/warning and the job completes fine.
>
> The job is trying to backup "c:\program files".. it's just a small job for
> testing purposes.
>
> Some other messages from the job:
>
> Elapsed time:           16 secs
> FD Files Written:       0
> SD Files Written:       0
> FD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
> SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
> Rate:                   0.0 KB/s
> Software Compression:   None
> VSS:                    yes
> Encryption:             no
> Accurate:               no
>
> Non-fatal FD errors:    1
> SD Errors:              0
> FD termination status:  OK
> SD termination status:  OK
> Termination:            Backup OK -- with warnings
>
> I can't see any errors/warning in the windows event log..
> It's windows 2003 r2 sp2 32bit with winbacula 2.2.10-b4.
>
> On the bacula server I'm running bacula 2.3.28 on CentOS 5.1 atm..
>
> Any ideas how to debug this?

Is the bacula-fd service running under an administrator or backup
operator account?

John

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:17:31AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm in the process of testing Bacula with some Windows clients
> > (winbacula 2.2.10-b4) and I'm seeing some VSS problems..
> >
> > I get this error about half of the times I run the backup job.. I think this
> > mainly happens just with a single server, not all of them..
> >
> > JobId 1: Generate VSS snapshots. Driver="VSS Win 2003", Drive(s)="C"
> > JobId 1:      Could not stat C:/Program Files: ERR=Access is denied.
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "System Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FSRM Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "MSDEWriter", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: Job write elapsed time = 00:00:16, Transfer rate = 0  bytes/second
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Event Log Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "COM+ REGDB Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "IIS Metabase Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "BITS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Registry Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "FRS Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "NTDS", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Certificate Authority", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WMI Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "WINS Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> > JobId 1: VSS Writer (BackupComplete): "Dhcp Jet Writer", State: 0x1 (VSS_WS_STABLE)
> >
> > And the next I run the same job (1 minute later) it's all fine..
> > no errors/warning and the job completes fine.
> >
> > The job is trying to backup "c:\program files".. it's just a small job for
> > testing purposes.
> >
> > Some other messages from the job:
> >
> > Elapsed time:           16 secs
> > FD Files Written:       0
> > SD Files Written:       0
> > FD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
> > SD Bytes Written:       0 (0 B)
> > Rate:                   0.0 KB/s
> > Software Compression:   None
> > VSS:                    yes
> > Encryption:             no
> > Accurate:               no
> >
> > Non-fatal FD errors:    1
> > SD Errors:              0
> > FD termination status:  OK
> > SD termination status:  OK
> > Termination:            Backup OK -- with warnings
> >
> > I can't see any errors/warning in the windows event log..
> > It's windows 2003 r2 sp2 32bit with winbacula 2.2.10-b4.
> >
> > On the bacula server I'm running bacula 2.3.28 on CentOS 5.1 atm..
> >
> > Any ideas how to debug this?
> >

> Is the bacula-fd service running under an administrator or backup
> operator account?

bacula-fd.exe is running as SYSTEM.. when I check from task manager.

Is that wrong?

-- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

John Drescher
>> > And the next I run the same job (1 minute later) it's all fine..
>> > no errors/warning and the job completes fine.

I missed that line the first time I read your post...
> bacula-fd.exe is running as SYSTEM.. when I check from task manager.
>
> Is that wrong?

I believe that is fine in most cases however since you said it worked
one time it probably is not a permissions problem on accessing the
files. Hopefully some one else has an idea.

John

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:29:52AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> I missed that line the first time I read your post...

OK.

> > bacula-fd.exe is running as SYSTEM.. when I check from task manager.
> >
> > Is that wrong?
> >
> I believe that is fine in most cases however since you said it worked
> one time it probably is not a permissions problem on accessing the
> files. Hopefully some one else has an idea.

Yeah.. I don't think it's permission problem..

like said when I run the job multiple times I get also successfull jobs and
I can also restore files from those backups..

btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?

-- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

John Drescher
> btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?

Although I have never done this the following two bacula directives
look like they could help:

Run After Failed Job

Rerun Failed Levels

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html

John

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:40:23AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> > btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?
> >
> Although I have never done this the following two bacula directives
> look like they could help:
>
> Run After Failed Job
>
> Rerun Failed Levels
>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html

Thanks. I'll try these.

-- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

Pasi Kärkkäinen
On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:40:23AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:

> > btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?
> >
> Although I have never done this the following two bacula directives
> look like they could help:
>
> Run After Failed Job
>
> Rerun Failed Levels
>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html

Hmm.. it almost looks like 50% of the times I get that VSS error.. ie. every
second time it works and every second time it doesn't.

What's interesting is that the job itself terminates with "OK with
warnings".. it's definitely not OK because it does absolutely nothing..
0 files backup up when that Access is denied happens..

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 07:09:58PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 09:40:23AM -0400, John Drescher wrote:
> > > btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?
> > >
> > Although I have never done this the following two bacula directives
> > look like they could help:
> >
> > Run After Failed Job
> >
> > Rerun Failed Levels
> >
> > http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html
> >

> Hmm.. it almost looks like 50% of the times I get that VSS error.. ie. every
> second time it works and every second time it doesn't.
>
> What's interesting is that the job itself terminates with "OK with
> warnings".. it's definitely not OK because it does absolutely nothing..
> 0 files backup up when that Access is denied happens..

Yeah, did some 8 more test runs and 4 of them failed with that VSS
ERR=Access is denied error..

Is it possible that winbacula leaves VSS in some bad state? That would
maybe explain why it works every second time.. or is it more likely that
there is something on the server causing this?

-- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

Jürgen Kuri-2
Hello Pasi,

I had a similar strange behaviour with backup via VSS on Windows 2003 Server on different systems and I assume your problem refers to the M$-VSS service too. In order to determine if the issue refers to M$-Windows or to Bacula try to make backup via the Windows backup tool "ntbackup" at the DOS-prompt:

ntbackup backup "a path you want to backup" /j "test" /l:f /f "a path where to store backup file"

This performs a backup via VSS. Take a look in to the eventlog application and system in order to see if VSS and ntbackup worked.

If a test backup with ntbackup via VSS fails, perform a test backup without reading backup data via VSS:

ntbackup backup "<a path you want to backup>" /j "test" /l:f /snap:off /f "<a path where to store backup file>"

If the test backup via VSS does not work you will most likely have a problem referred to VSS.

With

"vssadmin list writers"

on DOS-prompt you can see if the VSS-writers have any problems. But in my case "vssadmin" did not show any VSS-writer problems although we had a real VSS-problem.

There is a Microsoft web page which may be will give you a solution: http://dnn.mssbsfaq.de/SBS2003/Backup/ReinitialisierungdesVolumeShadowCopyService/tabid/1038/language/de-DE/Default.aspx . But, alas, it is in german.

Microsoft says, if you have a faulty installation - what ever this means - has changed involved components of VSS it could affect the VSS-functionality. If so, you have to reregister the VSS-components by doing the following on DOS prompt or via a batch file:

cd %windir%\system32
Net stop vss
Net stop swprv
regsvr32 ole32.dll
regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
Vssvc /Register
regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
regsvr32 es.dll
regsvr32 stdprov.dll
regsvr32 vssui.dll
regsvr32 msxml.dll
regsvr32 msxml3.dll
regsvr32 msxml4.dll
Net start swprv
Net start vss

We did this here with our system and our third-party backup system and ntbackup worked fine again.

I heard from the support of out third-party backup product that more and more customers run into VSS problems if they make backups via VSS and all clues seems to lead to M$-Windows' VSS.

Jürgen

On Tue, Jun 03, 2008 at 05:56:34PM +0200, Jürgen Kuri wrote:

> Hello Pasi,
>
> I had a similar strange behaviour with backup via VSS on Windows 2003 Server on different systems and
> I assume your problem refers to the M$-VSS service too. In order to determine if the issue refers to
> M$-Windows or to Bacula try to make backup via the Windows backup tool "ntbackup" at the DOS-prompt:
>
> ntbackup backup "a path you want to backup" /j "test" /l:f /f "a path where to store backup file"
>
> This performs a backup via VSS. Take a look in to the eventlog application and system in order to see if VSS and ntbackup worked.
>
> If a test backup with ntbackup via VSS fails, perform a test backup without reading backup data via VSS:
>
> ntbackup backup "<a path you want to backup>" /j "test" /l:f /snap:off /f "<a path where to store backup file>"
>
> If the test backup via VSS does not work you will most likely have a problem referred to VSS.

Hello!

I tried backups with ntbackup and they seem to work fine using VSS.. I ran 8
backups with ntbackup (/snap:on) and they worked fine.. no errors or warning
in the event logs.

So that makes it interesting.. why does Bacula have problems with using VSS?

> With
>
> "vssadmin list writers"
>
> on DOS-prompt you can see if the VSS-writers have any problems. But in my case "vssadmin" did not show any VSS-writer problems although we had a real VSS-problem.

Yep, I don't see any problems with VSS-writers..

> There is a Microsoft web page which may be will give you a solution: http://dnn.mssbsfaq.de/SBS2003/Backup/ReinitialisierungdesVolumeShadowCopyService/tabid/1038/language/de-DE/Default.aspx . But, alas, it is in german.
>
> Microsoft says, if you have a faulty installation - what ever this means - has changed involved components of VSS it could affect the VSS-functionality. If so, you have to reregister the VSS-components by doing the following on DOS prompt or via a batch file:
>
> cd %windir%\system32
> Net stop vss
> Net stop swprv
> regsvr32 ole32.dll
> regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
> Vssvc /Register
> regsvr32 /i swprv.dll
> regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
> regsvr32 es.dll
> regsvr32 stdprov.dll
> regsvr32 vssui.dll
> regsvr32 msxml.dll
> regsvr32 msxml3.dll
> regsvr32 msxml4.dll
> Net start swprv
> Net start vss
>
> We did this here with our system and our third-party backup system and ntbackup worked fine again.
>
> I heard from the support of out third-party backup product that more and more customers run into VSS problems if they make backups via VSS and all clues seems to lead to M$-Windows' VSS.

Thanks a lot for your reply!

-- Pasi

> Jürgen

Another option is to make backups with bacula without reading backup data from VSS-snapshot however, without open file support. If I am right there is a switch in the "File"-directive "VSS = yes/no"

Jürgen

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

riccasto
hi,

I have the same behavior, I'have found that if you run an estimate command from bconsole to the vss_client-fd just before a backup, this problem no longer occour.

I've found that the first time you run an estimate command from bconsole to the vss_client-fd just after a good backup (the one that goes well in the cicle pair based) you got something similar to "2000 OK estimate files=0 bytes=0", (zero files/bytes???) it seems that the vss_client-fd daemon is not in a good state or it is not able to make calls to the win32 vss service due to the state of vss.
In any case from the second time and so on if you run the estimate command the reply is ok (with the correct files/bytes) it seems like if the fd and/or the vss services are in stuck and at the first estimate command release their resources.

i'm triyng now to run a script in RunBeforeJob to issue the estimate command from a dos shell and the following seems to work fine:

"C:\Program Files\Bacula\bin\bconsole.exe" -c C:\ProgramData\Bacula\bconsole.conf <c:\admin\backup\bacula\estimate.conf

and the estimate.conf is a file with the following entries:

estimate
1
estimate
2

This, script, when executed from a dos shell, do the job to run an estimate command to all your fd (in my case 2), but if this script is executed from the RunBeforeJob directive I got "BeforeJob returned non-zero status=255. ERR=Unknown error" and the job stop wit error.

any idea??

ric

<quote author="John Drescher-2">
> btw. is there a way to make bacula automatically rerun jobs failing like this?

Although I have never done this the following two bacula directives
look like they could help:

Run After Failed Job

Rerun Failed Levels

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Configuring_Director.html

John

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

yistoneriver
My colleague and I looked into this issue and found that we could reproduce this behavior under the following conditions:

1) FD runs on Windows 2003 Server
2) VSS is enabled
3) Only one file-list is listed in FileSet resource
4) the file-list is a folder (directory)

So, a workaround is to add a dummy file-list.  I hope this will help.

-Yuji

Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 06:16:51AM -0700, yistoneriver wrote:

> My colleague and I looked into this issue and found that we could reproduce
> this behavior under the following conditions:
>
> 1) FD runs on Windows 2003 Server
> 2) VSS is enabled
> 3) Only one file-list is listed in FileSet resource
> 4) the file-list is a folder (directory)
>
> So, a workaround is to add a dummy file-list.  I hope this will help.

Hi!

Actually yes, I think this was exactly the situation I had. There was only
one directory specified for backups!

The problem went away when we added more directories/disks..

So yeah, it sounds like a bug..

Thanks a lot for pointing this out!

-- Pasi

> -Yuji
>

> Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:

> >> like this?

> >> Hmm.. it almost looks like 50% of the times I get that VSS error.. ie.
> >> every
> >> second time it works and every second time it doesn't.
> >>
> >> What's interesting is that the job itself terminates with "OK with
> >> warnings".. it's definitely not OK because it does absolutely nothing..
> >> 0 files backup up when that Access is denied happens..
> >>

> > Yeah, did some 8 more test runs and 4 of them failed with that VSS
> > ERR=Access is denied error..
> >
> > Is it possible that winbacula leaves VSS in some bad state? That would
> > maybe explain why it works every second time.. or is it more likely that
> > there is something on the server causing this?
> >
> > -- Pasi

Re: Bacula VSS problems / ERR=Access is denied

Bruno Friedmann-2
Ok I understand the trouble I've got with a dynamic mount point .
I've a directory c:/data which is the mount point for a second drive under windows 2003 R2
In fileset I want to backup only the directory and what's inside.

After the upgrade to 2.2 version I've hit the access deny error.

I bypass the trouble in affecting also a drive letter D: and correct the fileset to point to D:
and this work ....

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Ioda-Net Sàrl
  2830 Vellerat - Switzerland

  Tél : ++41 32 435 7171
  Fax : ++41 32 435 7172
  gsm : ++41 78 802 6760
  www.ioda-net.ch

 Centre de Formation et de Coaching En Ligne
 www.cfcel.com