Bacula blocks Auto-clean function on Tape Library

Bacula blocks Auto-clean function on Tape Library

Jim Richardson

I just noticed that the cleaning light on my tape library is on.  I have my library setup to auto-clean.  Bacula has the drive locked even after the jobs are complete.  The only way I have seen to get the library to clean is to issue a unmount command and issue the clean command from the library interface.  Is there a way to have Bacula unmount the drive after jobs are complete to allow the library to manage its cleaning cycles, or is there something I am missing in my configuration that may be causing the behavior?

Thank you in advance.

Jim Richardson

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank you.

Re: Bacula blocks Auto-clean function on Tape Library

David Westfall
I would also like to know how to get tapes unmounted after a job.  I have a Virtual Tape Library (VTL) between my system and a Physical Tape Library (PTL) and the VTL will not write to the PTL until the tape is unmounted.  I know that tapes are kept mounted for faster access time for the next job, but the mount time for a VTL is seconds.

Dave W

--
David Westfall
Red-Inc Email - [hidden email]

(301) 342-9273

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

Re: Bacula blocks Auto-clean function on Tape Library

You have probably used the default definition for a Device which is setup for a tape drive. You didn't provide any information about your setup (such as bacula-sd.conf) so I cannot correctly answer.  However, I suspect that you have:

  AlwaysOpen = yes;

in your Device resource.  Changing that to:

 AlwaysOpen = no;

will probably solve your problem.  This does not unmount the tape though, it just frees it.  If you want to automatically unmount the drive, then there is an other directive that will permit you to do so.  I forget the exact name since I do not use it so I will let you read the manual.

Note: for a real tape library I do not recommend setting Always Open=no  as it will cause more wear on your tape drive.