Quantcast

Bacula in the cloud

Jason Voorhees
Hello guys:

Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?

I've been reading some posts about similar topics. Bandwidth always
seem to be a problem because it isn't to big (Gigs per second) or
there's to much information (several terabytes) and Bacula can't run
jobs for so long without modifying source code and recompiling.

I've been thinking something alternatives like these:

1. Backup to local disk and configure Copy jobs to make a copy to
Amazon S3. Local backups can run always fast but Copy jobs might be
delayed ... without issues?

2. Configure Amazon Storage Gateway as VTL so Bacula can backup
directly to Amazon using virtual tape devices through iSCSI. What do
you think about this?

3. For a single fileserver to be backed up (let's say a Samba server),
I could create a replica in the cloud (i.e. Amazon EC2) which can be
constantly synchronized (via rsync) and run Bacula locally in such EC2
instance.

What other ideas have you thought? Maybe a combination of other open
source tools that can be combined with Bacula? or maybe a different
open source solution that replaces Bacula to save backups in the
cloud?

I'd appreciate some ideas, pros and/or cons to be discussed.

Thanks in advance for your time bats!

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Uwe Schuerkamp
Hello Jason,

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:37:12PM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hello guys:
>
> Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
> information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?

I wrote a script a while ago that runs as a RunAfterJob element which
encrypts (gpg) and copies a full backup of a client (or its disk
volume rather) to an S3 bucket using the aws shell client.

It's still very rudimentary but it does the job nicely when it comes
to keeping a full backup safe (and secure) from a local disaster.

I seem to recall "cloud support" (whatever that may mean in today's
buzzword bingo) was announced for Bacula 8.

All the best,

Uwe

--
Uwe Schürkamp | email: <[hidden email]>

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Josh Fisher

On 10/18/2016 3:42 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

> Hello Jason,
>
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:37:12PM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>> Hello guys:
>>
>> Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
>> information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?
>>
> I wrote a script a while ago that runs as a RunAfterJob element which
> encrypts (gpg) and copies a full backup of a client (or its disk
> volume rather) to an S3 bucket using the aws shell client.
>
> It's still very rudimentary but it does the job nicely when it comes
> to keeping a full backup safe (and secure) from a local disaster.
>
> I seem to recall "cloud support" (whatever that may mean in today's
> buzzword bingo) was announced for Bacula 8.

I tend to think that will be targeting local cloud storage, for example
ownCloud, in enterprise environments. I'm not sure something like S3 is
very useful for direct backup storage over the Internet. A 1 TB backup
over a 100 Mbps connection would take a minimum of 22+ hours, assuming
maximum throughput and that S3 could actually sustain 12.5 MB/s.

For S3, copying via a script seems the best way to go.

> All the best,
>
> Uwe

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Bacula Systems has a White Paper on Bacula Enterprise Edition in the
cloud, and they have given me permission to publish it. However, as it
is currently written for Bacula Enterprise customers it needs some
modification, which I will make over the next week or so then release it.

It discusses a number of different ways that Bacula can work with the
cloud, so you all might find it very interesting.  Obviously one of the
current limitations for most people (like me) who do not have a big
budget for high-speed fiber optic Internet connections is the upload
speed.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I think
there are a number of very interesting solutions that will become
available in the near future.

On 10/18/2016 01:45 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 10/18/2016 3:42 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
>> Hello Jason,
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 09:37:12PM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>>> Hello guys:
>>>
>>> Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
>>> information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?
>>>
>> I wrote a script a while ago that runs as a RunAfterJob element which
>> encrypts (gpg) and copies a full backup of a client (or its disk
>> volume rather) to an S3 bucket using the aws shell client.
>>
>> It's still very rudimentary but it does the job nicely when it comes
>> to keeping a full backup safe (and secure) from a local disaster.
>>
>> I seem to recall "cloud support" (whatever that may mean in today's
>> buzzword bingo) was announced for Bacula 8.
> I tend to think that will be targeting local cloud storage, for example
> ownCloud, in enterprise environments. I'm not sure something like S3 is
> very useful for direct backup storage over the Internet. A 1 TB backup
> over a 100 Mbps connection would take a minimum of 22+ hours, assuming
> maximum throughput and that S3 could actually sustain 12.5 MB/s.
>
> For S3, copying via a script seems the best way to go.
>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Uwe

Re: Bacula in the cloud

C M Reinehr
On 10/17/2016 09:37 PM, Jason Voorhees wrote:

> Hello guys:
>
> Based on your experience, what alternative do we have for backing up
> information to the cloud preferably using Bacula?
>
> I've been reading some posts about similar topics. Bandwidth always
> seem to be a problem because it isn't to big (Gigs per second) or
> there's to much information (several terabytes) and Bacula can't run
> jobs for so long without modifying source code and recompiling.
>
> I've been thinking something alternatives like these:
>
> 1. Backup to local disk and configure Copy jobs to make a copy to
> Amazon S3. Local backups can run always fast but Copy jobs might be
> delayed ... without issues?
>
> 2. Configure Amazon Storage Gateway as VTL so Bacula can backup
> directly to Amazon using virtual tape devices through iSCSI. What do
> you think about this?
>
> 3. For a single fileserver to be backed up (let's say a Samba server),
> I could create a replica in the cloud (i.e. Amazon EC2) which can be
> constantly synchronized (via rsync) and run Bacula locally in such EC2
> instance.
>
> What other ideas have you thought? Maybe a combination of other open
> source tools that can be combined with Bacula? or maybe a different
> open source solution that replaces Bacula to save backups in the
> cloud?
>
> I'd appreciate some ideas, pros and/or cons to be discussed.
>
> Thanks in advance for your time bats!

My configuration, here, is to do daily backups at night to a disk array.
The backup files then are mirrored to an on-line cloud storage service
called SpiderOak. I keep several days worth of backups on the disk array
& then rely on the SpiderOak files for long term storage. In this way, I
completely have eliminated tape backups.

CMR
--
Linux distribution Debian v8.5, "Jessie"
------

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Jason Voorhees
Thank you all for your responses.

I'll take a look at Bacula systems' whitepaper to see what they're
talking about. Meanwhile I'll explore some of the alternatives
discussed on this thread like copying files with scripts and making a
replica on SpiderOak or anything similar.

I hope we can have an interesting solution for this "problem" in the
near future.

Thanks again for your time :)

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Josip Deanovic
On Tuesday 2016-10-18 12:34:08 Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses.
>
> I'll take a look at Bacula systems' whitepaper to see what they're
> talking about. Meanwhile I'll explore some of the alternatives
> discussed on this thread like copying files with scripts and making a
> replica on SpiderOak or anything similar.
>
> I hope we can have an interesting solution for this "problem" in the
> near future.

Hi Jason!

You have said that "Bacula can't run jobs for so long without modifying
source code and recompiling".

What did you mean by that and can you give an example of the problem
you have experienced?

I am asking because I am not aware of the bacula's job duration related
limitations.

--
Josip Deanovic

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Clark, Patti

From Bacula’s main.pdf documentation:

Max Run Time = <time> The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a job may run, counted from when the job starts, (not necessarily the same as when the job was scheduled).

By default, the the watchdog thread will kill any Job that has run more than 6 days. The maximum watchdog timeout is independent of MaxRunTime and cannot be changed.

Patti Clark

Linux System Administrator

R&D Systems Support Oak Ridge National Laboratory

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Heitor Faria

> Thank you all for your responses.
>
> I'll take a look at Bacula systems' whitepaper to see what they're
> talking about. Meanwhile I'll explore some of the alternatives
> discussed on this thread like copying files with scripts and making a
> replica on SpiderOak or anything similar.

Hello, Jason: why don't you install a 2nd remote Bacula storage daemon on a VPS / Dedicated Server?

> I hope we can have an interesting solution for this "problem" in the
> near future.
>
> Thanks again for your time :)

Heitor Medrado de Faria - LPIC-III | ITIL-F | Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
• Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/
+55 61 8268-4220 | http://bacula.us

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Josip Deanovic
On Tuesday 2016-10-18 21:28:44 Clark, Patti wrote:
> From Bacula’s main.pdf documentation:
>
> Max Run Time = <time> The time specifies the maximum allowed time that a
> job may run, counted from when the job starts, (not necessarily the
> same as when the job was scheduled). By default, the the watchdog
> thread will kill any Job that has run more than 6 days. The maximum
> watchdog timeout is independent of MaxRunTime and cannot be changed.

Thanks.

I have never stumbled on this one and I missed this part in the
documentation.
The longest running job I had was a little over five days.

--
Josip Deanovic

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Roberts, Ben

The documentation is outdated and this limit was removed (or perhaps vastly increased?) somewhere around the 7 mark. I’ve had jobs running a lot longer since upgrading.

In branch-5.2: http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/tree/bacula/src/lib/bnet.c#n784

bsock->timeout = 60 * 60 * 6 * 24;   /* 6 days timeout */

In branch-7.0 this line is removed.

(Unfortunately I can’t see a way to get a direct link from cgit directly to a line at a particular commit.)

Regards,

Ben Roberts

From: Josip Deanovic <[hidden email]>
Date: Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 4:06 PM
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

On Tuesday 2016-10-18 12:34:08 Jason Voorhees wrote:

Thank you all for your responses.

I'll take a look at Bacula systems' whitepaper to see what they're

talking about. Meanwhile I'll explore some of the alternatives

discussed on this thread like copying files with scripts and making a

replica on SpiderOak or anything similar.

I hope we can have an interesting solution for this "problem" in the

near future.

Hi Jason!

You have said that "Bacula can't run jobs for so long without modifying

source code and recompiling".

What did you mean by that and can you give an example of the problem

you have experienced?

I am asking because I am not aware of the bacula's job duration related

limitations.

--

Josip Deanovic

This email and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and proprietary information and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please return the email to the sender and delete it from your computer and you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email or its contents. This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of GSA Capital. GSA Capital Partners LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales at Stratton House, 5 Stratton Street, London W1J 8LA, number OC309261. GSA Capital Services Limited is registered in England and Wales at the same address, number 5320529.

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Josip Deanovic
On Wednesday 2016-10-19 06:41:53 Roberts, Ben wrote:

> The documentation is outdated and this limit was removed (or perhaps
> vastly increased?) somewhere around the 7 mark. I’ve had jobs running a
> lot longer since upgrading.
>
> In branch-5.2:
> http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/tree/bacula/src/lib/bnet.c#n7
> 84 bsock->timeout = 60 * 60 * 6 * 24;   /* 6 days timeout */
>
> In branch-7.0 this line is removed.
>
> (Unfortunately I can’t see a way to get a direct link from cgit directly
> to a line at a particular commit.)
>
> Regards,
> Ben Roberts

Great.
Thanks for the info.

--
Josip Deanovic

Re: Bacula in the cloud

On 10/19/2016 08:41 AM, Roberts, Ben wrote:

The documentation is outdated and this limit was removed (or perhaps vastly increased?) somewhere around the 7 mark. I’ve had jobs running a lot longer since upgrading.

In branch-5.2: http://www.bacula.org/git/cgit.cgi/bacula/tree/bacula/src/lib/bnet.c#n784

bsock->timeout = 60 * 60 * 6 * 24;   /* 6 days timeout */

In branch-7.0 this line is removed.

Well, I am not really sure that it was removed, since I would say that it was replaced.  The current bsock timeout is 200 days.

(Unfortunately I can’t see a way to get a direct link from cgit directly to a line at a particular commit.)

Regards,

Ben Roberts

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Daniele Palumbo
Hi Kern,

News about it?

Thanks,
Daniele

> Il giorno 18 ott 2016, alle ore 14:13, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
>
> Hello,
>
> Bacula Systems has a White Paper on Bacula Enterprise Edition in the
> cloud, and they have given me permission to publish it. However, as it
> is currently written for Bacula Enterprise customers it needs some
> modification, which I will make over the next week or so then release it.
>
> It discusses a number of different ways that Bacula can work with the
> cloud, so you all might find it very interesting.  Obviously one of the
> current limitations for most people (like me) who do not have a big
> budget for high-speed fiber optic Internet connections is the upload
> speed.  I have spent a lot of time thinking about this, and I think
> there are a number of very interesting solutions that will become
> available in the near future.
>
> Best regards,
> Kern
>
> On 10/18/2016 01:45 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:
>> On 10/18/2016 3:42 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:

>>> I wrote a script a while ago that runs as a RunAfterJob element which
>>> encrypts (gpg) and copies a full backup of a client (or its disk
>>> volume rather) to an S3 bucket using the aws shell client.
>>>
>>> It's still very rudimentary but it does the job nicely when it comes
>>> to keeping a full backup safe (and secure) from a local disaster.
>>>
>>> I seem to recall "cloud support" (whatever that may mean in today's
>>> buzzword bingo) was announced for Bacula 8.
>> I tend to think that will be targeting local cloud storage, for example
>> ownCloud, in enterprise environments. I'm not sure something like S3 is
>> very useful for direct backup storage over the Internet. A 1 TB backup
>> over a 100 Mbps connection would take a minimum of 22+ hours, assuming
>> maximum throughput and that S3 could actually sustain 12.5 MB/s.
>>
>> For S3, copying via a script seems the best way to go.
>>
>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Uwe

Re: Bacula in the cloud

Kern Sibbald
Hello Daniele,

It has been released in the Enterprise addition at the end of February.
As I reported in my last status report (see www.bacula.org), I am now
backporting the changes from the Enterprise version.  All the new
Enterprise SD plugins will not be available in the first community
version with the backport.  I am planning to release the Aligned Volumes
plugin first then a couple of months later release the Cloud plugin.

I have given a rough date for the backport, but since I am "retired"
deadlines are now out the window (i.e. I avoid deadlines).  The Oct/Nov
time frame is probably reasonable ...