Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA

Hello all

I have been working on adding a HP Overland 8 tape drive to my Bacula backup system.

I have the system recognizing the tape and autoloader.

I can run mt and mtx command. I can write to and read from the tapes. I was able to successfully run btape test and autochanger but when I ran the (fill) test the device would be removed from /dev and the test would fail. I then need to power cycle the device.

I have looked at dmesg and there is nothing reported about btape or the devices. I have rebooted the server. I have reset the device to factory default. I have also powered the device off for at least 15 minutes.

Any advice would be great.

Daniel Hicks

Senior Systems Analyst

FutureWorld Technologies Inc.

DMEA IT Support

Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Ana Emília M. Arruda
Hi Daniel,

It would be helpful if you could send to the list the configuration you are using in Bacula for the Autochanger and the btape fill output.

Also, it would be helpful the output of the following commands:

lsscsi -g
ls -laR /dev/tape

Best regards,
Ana

On Fri, Jul 21, 2017 at 4:13 PM, Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all

I have been working on adding a HP Overland 8 tape drive to my Bacula backup system.

I have the system recognizing the tape and autoloader.

I can run mt and mtx command. I can write to and read from the tapes. I was able to successfully run btape test and autochanger but when I ran the (fill) test the device would be removed from /dev and the test would fail. I then need to power cycle the device.

I have looked at dmesg and there is nothing reported about btape or the devices. I have rebooted the server. I have reset the device to factory default. I have also powered the device off for at least 15 minutes.

Any advice would be great.

Daniel Hicks

Senior Systems Analyst

FutureWorld Technologies Inc.

DMEA IT Support

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA

Thanks for the reply Ana.

Here is most of the info you asked. I will work on running btape again but now it is just timing out and saying that the device cannot be accessed when I try to run the fill test.

[root@server ~]# lsscsi -g

[0:2:0:0]    disk    LSI      MR9260-8i        2.13  /dev/sda   /dev/sg0

[0:2:1:0]    disk    LSI      MR9260-8i        2.13  /dev/sdb   /dev/sg1

[1:0:1:0]    cd/dvd  Slimtype DVD A  DS8ACSH   LP53  /dev/sr0   /dev/sg2

[5:0:4:0]    tape    HP       Ultrium 5-SCSI   Z58W  /dev/st0   /dev/sg3

[5:0:4:1]    mediumx HP       1x8 G2 AUTOLDR   3.50  /dev/sch0  /dev/sg4

[root@server ~]# ls -laR /dev/tape

/dev/tape:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  4 root root   80 Jul 21 11:43 .

drwxr-xr-x 21 root root 3560 Jul 21 11:45 ..

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  100 Jul 21 11:45 by-id

drwxr-xr-x  2 root root   80 Jul 21 11:43 by-path

/dev/tape/by-id:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 100 Jul 21 11:45 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root  80 Jul 21 11:43 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 Jul 21 11:45 scsi-3500110a00093f5f0 -> ../../sg4

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 Jul 21 11:43 scsi-3500110a00093f5f1 -> ../../st0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  10 Jul 21 11:43 scsi-3500110a00093f5f1-nst -> ../../nst0

/dev/tape/by-path:

total 0

drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 80 Jul 21 11:43 .

drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 80 Jul 21 11:43 ..

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  9 Jul 21 11:43 pci-0000:04:00.0-sas-0x500110a00093f5f2-lun-0 -> ../../st0

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Jul 21 11:43 pci-0000:04:00.0-sas-0x500110a00093f5f2-lun-0-nst -> ../../nst0

bacula-sd.conf

Autochanger {

  Name = "Autochanger"

  Device = HP-Overland

  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

  Changer Device = /dev/sg4

}

Device {

  Name = HP-Overland

  Drive Index = 0

  Media Type = LTO-5

  Archive Device = /dev/nst0

  AutomaticMount = yes;

  AlwaysOpen = yes;

  RemovableMedia = yes;

  RandomAccess = no;

  AutoChanger = yes;

  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg3'"

}

With the current configuration I am now able to complete the following, but when I run btape and try to run the fill test. The tape devices go offline. I need to power cycle the tape device manually.

(stop bacula / storage daemon to run test)

bacula stop or

bacula-sd stop

(load tape into slot 0 on autochanger)

mtx -f /dev/sg4 load 1

TEST 1 - SUCCESSFUL

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

tar cvf /dev/nst0 .

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind

tar tvf /dev/nst0

TEST 2 - SUCCESSFUL

btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0

* test (command within the btape console)

TEST 3 - SUCCESSFUL

btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0

* autochanger (command within the btape console)

TEST 4 -

btape -c bacula-sd.conf /dev/nst0

* fill (command within the btape console)

I am not sure if this is too much info. I have created a migration job. When I run it there are two jobs that are created, a migration and a backup but they just sit there waiting on tape device.

bacula-dir.conf

Job {

  Name = Migrate-to-Tape

  Type = Migrate

  Level = Full

  Client = server-fd

  FileSet = "Full Set"

  Schedule = SaturdayNight

  Pool = File

  Selection Type = SQLQuery

  Selection Pattern = "

SELECT DISTINCT J.JobId, J.StartTime

  FROM Job J, Pool P

  WHERE P.Name = 'File'

    AND P.PoolId = J.PoolId

    AND J.Type = 'B'

    AND J.JobStatus IN ('T','W')

    AND J.JobBytes > 0

    AND J.JobId NOT IN

       (SELECT PriorJobID

          FROM Job

         WHERE Type IN ('B','C')

           AND Job.JobStatus IN ('T','W')

           AND PriorJobId != 0)

  ORDER By J.StartTime

  LIMIT 1;

"

  Purge Migration Job = yes

  Storage = HP-Overland

  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 6

  Messages = Standard

  Spool Data = yes

  Spool Attributes = yes

}

# Tape pool definition

Pool {

  Name = Tape

  Pool Type = Backup

  Recycle = yes

  AutoPrune = yes

  Volume Retention = 3 years

  Storage = HP-Overland

}

# File Pool definition

Pool {

  Name = File

  Pool Type = Backup

  Recycle = yes

  AutoPrune = yes

  Volume Retention = 30 days

  Maximum Volume Bytes = 500G

  Maximum Volumes = 100

  Next Pool = Tape

  LabelFormat = FVol-

}

Daniel Hicks | 916-999-2711 | DMEA

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Ana Emília M. Arruda
Hello Daniel,

You are welcome :-).

I see you are using /dev/sgX and /dev/nstX device names for the autochanger configuration. This is not recommended since they can be modified after server reboots.

Please use /dev/tape/by-id values or even udev rules. Also, I noticed you have a pool configured to use "Storage = HP-Overland". To avoid confusion, I would rename your tape library and tape drive resources:

bacula-sd.conf

Autochanger {

  Name = "

​HP-Overland-​
Autochanger"

  Device = HP-Overland

​-Drive-0​

  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

  Changer Device = /dev/​tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a00093f5f0

}

Device {

  Name = HP-Overland

​-Drive-0​

  Drive Index = 0

  Media Type = LTO-5

  Archive Device = /dev/​tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a00093f5f1-nst

  AutomaticMount = yes;

  AlwaysOpen = yes;

  RemovableMedia = yes;

  RandomAccess = no;

  AutoChanger = yes;

  Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error /dev/sg3'"

}

​The Storage definition in bacula-dir.conf, should use
​ be something like:

Storage {
  Name =
HP-Overlan
​d​
​-TL
  Device = HP-Overland-Autochanger
  Autochanger = yes
​}​

​Then your Tape pool should be configured to use the tape library and not the single drive:​

# Tape pool definition

Pool {

  Name = Tape

  Pool Type = Backup

  Recycle = yes

  AutoPrune = yes

  Volume Retention = 3 years

  Storage = HP-Overland​​-TL

}

​Regarding what you mentioned about the migration job, I would recommend you to have the btape tests successfully run and a successful backup job writing to tape before dealing with a migration job.​

The "fill" btape test needs a blank tape. You should have it formated before using it with the fill btape test:

mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
mt -f /dev/nst0 weof

If this does not solve this problem, please let us know the Bacula version you are using.

Best regards,
Ana

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA

Ana

Thanks for your help, your suggestions helped to get me started. I also needed to define within the source pool that is was a read pool for the job.

Now I have two different issues, one where I can only write a small amount of data about 2GB of data and then the tape is marked full, the tapes are 3TB tapes. The other is when a larger migration job starts about 5 minutes in it will kill the tape drive taking it offline where the server no longer sees the SCSI devices for autoloader and tape drive. The only way to get it back is to reboot the autoloader/tape drive.

Any ideas.

Daniel Hicks | 916-999-2711 | DMEA

smime.p7s (7K) Download Attachment

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Ana Emília M. Arruda
Hello Daniel,

Did you run the btape tests? were the tests successful?
All tapes need to be blank tapes before you label them in Bacula.
If, for example, you use tar to write to the tape, then you label this tape in Bacula, only the space not used by the tar command will be available to be used by Bascula.

You may also make sure you don't have volume size limit in your pool definition.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ana

El 26 jul. 2017 14:58, "Hicks, Daniel CTR OSD DMEA" <[hidden email]> escribió:

Ana

Thanks for your help, your suggestions helped to get me started. I also needed to define within the source pool that is was a read pool for the job.

Now I have two different issues, one where I can only write a small amount of data about 2GB of data and then the tape is marked full, the tapes are 3TB tapes. The other is when a larger migration job starts about 5 minutes in it will kill the tape drive taking it offline where the server no longer sees the SCSI devices for autoloader and tape drive. The only way to get it back is to reboot the autoloader/tape drive.

Any ideas.

Daniel Hicks | <a href="tel:(916)%20999-2711" value="+19169992711" target="_blank">916-999-2711 | DMEA

Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: Bacula kills tape drive and autoloader

Darold Lucus

lsscsi -L This will list your auto changer

mtx
-f /dev/sgx status This will list all of the tapes in your auto changer.

root@nas:~# mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:1 Drives, 16 Slots ( 0 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=131000
      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=131001
      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=131002
      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=131003

   root@nas:~# lsscsi -L
[5:0:0:0]    tape    QUANTUM  ULTRIUM 5        3210  /dev/st0
  device_blocked=0
  iocounterbits=32
  iodone_cnt=0x11
  ioerr_cnt=0x1
  iorequest_cnt=0x11
  queue_depth=1
  queue_type=none
  scsi_level=7
  state=running
  timeout=900
  type=1
[5:0:0:1]    mediumx QUANTUM  UHDL             0090  /dev/sch0
  device_blocked=0
  iocounterbits=32
  iodone_cnt=0x19
  ioerr_cnt=0x2
  iorequest_cnt=0x19
  queue_depth=1
  queue_type=none
  scsi_level=3
  state=running
  timeout=0
  type=8

lsscsi -g
[6:0:0:0]    tape    QUANTUM  ULTRIUM 5        3210  /dev/st0   /dev/sg0 =Drive
[6:0:0:1]    mediumx QUANTUM  UHDL    0092  /dev/sch0  /dev/sg1 =Changer

Sincerely,

Darold Lucus

cid:image002.png@01D06336.119F49E0

LAN Administrator

EMAC, Inc

618-529-4525 EXT:370

www.emacinc.com

This message is confidential. It may also be privileged or otherwise protected by work product immunity or other legal rules. If you have received it by mistake, please let us know by e-mail reply and delete it from your system; you may not copy this message or disclose its contents to anyone.