Bacula largest installations ever

Jason Voorhees
Hello bats:

I was wondering if you can share any of your biggest Bacula
deployments you ever made. I mean anything like "I use Bacula to
backup thousands of desktops/servers", or "I have a backup
infrastructure with Bacula for more than 30TB of data being backed
up".

It's just that I want to know how robust and scalable Bacula might be
compared to other competitors such as TSM, HP Dataprotector, Backup
Exec, among others.

This is because one of my customer want to backup more than 2,000
desktops and a backup software is under evaluation.

Thanks in advance for your comments, if any.

Re: Bacula largest installations ever

Heitor Faria
> Hello bats:

Hello, Jason,

Until my last information, Locaweb <https://www.locaweb.com.br/default> is the largest Latin America Hosting company with more than 1.5PB of data backed up with Bacula. I estimate (for less) they have at least 4,000 backup clients.

> Thanks in advance for your comments, if any.

For this size of workload, you might consider data reducing features such as global deduplication, and automation ones such as application specific plugins.
Unfortunately, these are only available today on Bacula Enterprise <https://www.baculasystems.com>, but licensing costs would be compensated with significant storage and staff economy.

Heitor Medrado de Faria | EB-1 Visa | LPIC-III | ITIL-F | EMC 05-001| Bacula Systems Certified Administrator II
• Do you need Bacula training? http://bacula.us/video-classes/
+55 61 98268-4220 | http://bacula.us

Re: Bacula largest installations ever

If your client is installing Bacula for such a large system, he should
be installing the Enterprise version for a number of reasons: 1. The
Enterprise version has quite a few performance (and scaling)
enhancements to handle big systems.  2. For that many clients one needs
professional advice and support (maybe you can do this).

Yes, on Bacula Enterprise they have very big sites of that size and
perhaps bigger.

In one very large installation were Bacula is not currently running
there are 12 instances of TSM.  I estimate that Bacula could do the same
work with 1 instance of the Director/Catalog/SD, but recommended 2 for
head-room and redundancy.

On 07/10/2017 06:18 PM, Jason Voorhees wrote:

> Hello bats:
>
> I was wondering if you can share any of your biggest Bacula
> deployments you ever made. I mean anything like "I use Bacula to
> backup thousands of desktops/servers", or "I have a backup
> infrastructure with Bacula for more than 30TB of data being backed
> up".
>
> It's just that I want to know how robust and scalable Bacula might be
> compared to other competitors such as TSM, HP Dataprotector, Backup
> Exec, among others.
>
> This is because one of my customer want to backup more than 2,000
> desktops and a backup software is under evaluation.
>
> Thanks in advance for your comments, if any.

Re: Bacula largest installations ever

Roberts, Ben

I manage a sizeable Bacula installation:

~70 FD

~10,000 volumes

~2,000 jobs currently in catalog of 45,000 jobs (lifetime for this instance of director/catalog)

~4.8 PB currently tracked by jobs in catalog

~30.1TB largest single job (which took 3d 9h on last run)

This workload previously served fine by a single director/catalog open-source edition for many years (running on mysql until the beginning of this year, since switched to postgres but not because of any performance issues)

Maintaining this workload currently requires less than 1 person-day of effort per month (after a fair amount of tuning)

Regards,

Ben Roberts

** This is an external e-mail. Please treat attachments and links as potentially dangerous. **

Hello bats:

I was wondering if you can share any of your biggest Bacula
deployments you ever made. I mean anything like "I use Bacula to
backup thousands of desktops/servers", or "I have a backup
infrastructure with Bacula for more than 30TB of data being backed
up".

It's just that I want to know how robust and scalable Bacula might be
compared to other competitors such as TSM, HP Dataprotector, Backup
Exec, among others.

This is because one of my customer want to backup more than 2,000
desktops and a backup software is under evaluation.

Thanks in advance for your comments, if any.

This email and any files transmitted with it contain confidential and proprietary information and is solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please return the email to the sender and delete it from your computer and you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email or its contents. This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any transaction. Any comments or statements made herein do not necessarily reflect those of GSA Capital. GSA Capital Partners LLP is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and is registered in England and Wales at Stratton House, 5 Stratton Street, London W1J 8LA, number OC309261. GSA Capital Services Limited is registered in England and Wales at the same address, number 5320529.

Re: Bacula largest installations ever

Simone Caronni-2
I had the chance to manage the following:

- Around 600 clients
- 15 different storage daemons with disk storage or automated tape libraries
- Automated laptop backups based on the site where they are connected (basically triggering backups to the closest SD storage daemon based on their DNS record as updated in Active Directory)
- Cross-datacenter consolidations for jobs
- All Red Hat/Fedora and Windows systems. 1 very old client on SCO UNIX.

Regards,
--Simone

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 9:21 PM, Roberts, Ben <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/