Bacula manual is too outdated

Wanderlei Huttel
Hello Kern

Always when is necessary to take a look in the manual is painful, because there are a lot of new features and improvements that not well documented and many times when we doesn't achieve what we want, we give up.

How could the bacula community could help to keep manual up to date? In the last releases it looks only "new features" was updated.
There are many settings it would be interesting to have more examples to be clearly.

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

Re: Bacula manual is too outdated

Kern Sibbald

Hello Wanderlei,

Unfortunately, the community has rarely contributed to the manual, though they have feed in lots of information that I have put in the manual.  Perhaps 1 of every 20 submissions comes with documentation.  So it all falls on my back.  There is one exception to that, and it is the Enterprise manual, which is improving.  I have a project going with Bacula Systems to ensure that there is only one manual source rather than the two that currently exist.  Consequently there is a chance that within the next 6 months to a year that the manual will improve.

Developers including me detest writing documentation.  I write it because otherwise I spend too much time on support.  Even with a perfect manual, I spend too much time on support, because a lot of people do not read it.  Those are just facts of nature that we must live with unless a fairy goddess comes along and sprinkles some mother tongue technical person with fairy dust that causes him/her to get interested in the manual.

On 07/21/2017 06:38 PM, Wanderlei Huttel wrote:
Hello Kern

Always when is necessary to take a look in the manual is painful, because there are a lot of new features and improvements that not well documented and many times when we doesn't achieve what we want, we give up.

How could the bacula community could help to keep manual up to date? In the last releases it looks only "new features" was updated.
There are many settings it would be interesting to have more examples to be clearly.

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

Re: Bacula manual is too outdated

Wanderlei Huttel
Hello Kern,

Thanks for answer.
Bacula Enterprise manual is better documented than Bacula Community or is the same?
I don't know if there are some information in the manual of Bacula Enterprise that could not be shared with community, because the license doesn't allow or another thing, etc, , bit if there's no problem and Bacula Enterprise are well documented,  can you would release this manual for the community too?

If in the future there's some project for translate the manual  for the portuguese brazilian, and I have time, I can help you.

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

On 07/21/2017 07:23 PM, Wanderlei Huttel wrote:
Hello Kern,

Thanks for answer.
Bacula Enterprise manual is better documented than Bacula Community or is the same?
It is better and it is prettier.
I don't know if there are some information in the manual of Bacula Enterprise that could not be shared with community, because the license doesn't allow or another thing, etc, , bit if there's no problem and Bacula Enterprise are well documented,  can you would release this manual for the community too?
No, we are not going to release the manual to the community for a number of reasons: 1. There are features described in the manual that are not available in the community.  2. They are not particularly interested in having competitors see it, because there is a fairly substantial amount of money that goes into keeping it up to date and improving it with new graphics and information.  3. It looks nicer than the community manual.  4. The Bacula Enterprise users already complain that the manuals are very similar.

If in the future there's some project for translate the manual  for the portuguese brazilian, and I have time, I can help you.
That would be very welcome.  There are quite a number of requests to have the Bacula messages within the program translated into various languages.  I would start with that since it is a much smaller project and also important for non-English speakers.

[...]

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula manual is too outdated

Dan Langille
On Jul 21, 2017, at 1:00 PM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Documentation is one of the easiest ways for community members to contribute to a project. No coding skills required. It is much easier than it sounds.

If anyone wants to get started, the bacula documentation mailing list archive has some suggestions regarding simple changes.

I'm on that mailing list, so if anyone want to get started, I'm happy to guide.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula manual is too outdated

Dan Langille
Your English is good enough.  What we lack is people willing to do the work. If you are willing, we'll guide you. Hopefully, others will join the effort too.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Jul 22, 2017, at 3:48 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

Hi Dan, Hi Wanderlei, Hi Kern,

At first I have to admit that I'm not that kind of fairy dust native English speaker :-)

I'm nativ German and would be happy to provide some translations anyway.

But I have a strong technical interest, but would never have the time to do some direct programming stuff.

However I would be interested in updating and improving the manual.

And maybe I could also assist in doing some "basic" support. I'm sure I will need a lot time to learn more, but I think it's worth a try, isn't it?

Best,

Christian

-----Original-Nachricht-----
Betreff: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Bacula manual is too outdated