Quantcast

Bad Autochanger

Ken Barclay

Greetings Bacula-users,

I’ve been attempting to setup and configure Bacula for the past 2 -3 weeks, during which time I’ve managed to resolve various problems by reading the manual and Googling.  However, this problem has had me stumped for several days now.

I have completed the Testing Your Configuration Files (User Manual P.37) without any problems.   I have run btape test, which ran successfully right through until reaching the Autochanger test.  This is where the problem lies:

=== Autochanger test ===

3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.

Slot 3 loaded. I am going to unload it.

3302 Issuing autochanger "unload 3 0" command.

unload status=OK 0

3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.

3993 Bad autochanger command: /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/changer load 1 /dev/tape 0

3993 result="Loading media from Storage Element 1 into drive 0...done

": ERR=Child died from signal 15: Termination

You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.

After the “autochanger load” command, it seems to hang or just sit and wait for five to ten minutes, then it issues the Bad autochanger message which is immediately followed by “Loading media, etc......done”.

Why does Bacula give an error message and then say the job is done.   Apart from that I already know that slot 1 has successfully loaded because I can see it on my second monitor with the Dell GUI.  So on monitor 1, I can see that the job is done, but on monitor 2 which has the btape command line it just sits waiting until finally it issues the Bad autochanger message.  Why?

Details relevant to my setup are as follows:

Bacula version 2.2.7                        mtx version 1.3.11

[root@SVR03 ~]# uname -a

Linux SVR03 2.6.18-53.1.13.el5xen #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 13:33:07 EST 2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@SVR03 ~]# tapeinfo -f /dev/tape

Product Type: Tape Drive

Vendor ID: 'IBM     '

Product ID: 'ULT3580-TD3     '

Revision: '6BA1'

Attached Changer API: No

SerialNumber: '1020267433'

MinBlock: 1

MaxBlock: 16777215

SCSI ID: 4

SCSI LUN: 0

Ready: yes

BufferedMode: yes

Medium Type: 0x38

Density Code: 0x44

BlockSize: 0

DataCompEnabled: yes

DataCompCapable: yes

DataDeCompEnabled: yes

CompType: 0x1

DeCompType: 0x1

BOP: yes

Block Position: 0

Partition 0 Remaining Kbytes: -1

Partition 0 Size in Kbytes: -1

ActivePartition: 0

EarlyWarningSize: 0

[root@SVR03 ~]# loaderinfo -f /dev/changer

Product Type: Medium Changer

Vendor ID: 'IBM     '

Product ID: '3573-TL         '

Revision: '0.80'

Attached Changer: No

Bar Code Reader: Yes

EAAP: Yes

Number of Medium Transport Elements: 1

Number of Storage Elements: 23

Number of Import/Export Elements: 1

Number of Data Transfer Elements: 1

Transport Geometry Descriptor Page: Yes

Invertable: No

Device Configuration Page: Yes

Storage: Data Transfer, Import/Export, Storage

SCSI Media Changer (rev 2): Yes

Volume Tag Reader Present: Yes

Auto-Clean Enabled: Yes

Transfer Medium Transport: ->Data Transfer, ->Import/Export, ->Storage

Transfer Storage: ->Data Transfer, ->Import/Export, ->Storage

Transfer Import/Export: ->Data Transfer, ->Storage

Transfer Data Transfer: ->Import/Export, ->Storage

Exchange Medium Transport: None

Exchange Storage: None

Exchange Import/Export: None

Exchange Data Transfer: None

Permissions, Owners, Groups info: (not all in same directory)

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           3 Feb 28 23:01 changer -> sg3

crwxrwx---  1 root disk    21,    3 Feb 28 23:01 sg3

lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root           4 Feb 28 23:01 tape -> nst0

crwxrwx---  1 root disk     9,  128 Feb 28 23:01 nst0

 -rwxr-xr-- 1 root bacula  1546 Jan  5 22:54 bacula

-rwxr-xr-- 1 root bacula  5173 Jan  5 22:54 bacula-ctl-dir

-rwxr-xr-- 1 root bacula  5037 Jan  5 22:54 bacula-ctl-fd

-rwxr-xr-- 1 root bacula  4977 Jan  5 22:54 bacula-ctl-sd

-rw-r----- 1 root bacula  8363 Feb 27 13:33 bacula-dir.conf

-rw-r----- 1 root bacula  1049 Feb 25 17:05 bacula-fd.conf

-rw-r----- 1 root disk    6483 Mar  4 15:09 bacula-sd.conf

From Bacula-sd.conf:

Device {

  Name = FileStorage

  Media Type = Tape

  Archive Device = /dev/tape

  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media

  Random Access = no ;

  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it

  RemovableMedia = yes ;

  AlwaysOpen = no;

  AutoChanger = yes;

}

#

# An autochanger device with two drives

#

Autochanger {

  Name = Autochanger

  Device = FileStorage

  Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"

  Changer Device = /dev/changer

I hope someone can help me to resolve this problem.  If you need any more details, just ask.

Thanks in advance.

Ken.

Re: Bad Autochanger

John Drescher
On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Ken Barclay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Greetings Bacula-users,
>

> I've been attempting to setup and configure Bacula for the past 2 -3 weeks,
> during which time I've managed to resolve various problems by reading the
> manual and Googling.  However, this problem has had me stumped for several
> days now.
>

> I have completed the Testing Your Configuration Files (User Manual P.37)
> without any problems.   I have run btape test, which ran successfully right
> through until reaching the Autochanger test.  This is where the problem
> lies:
>

> === Autochanger test ===
>

> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
>
> Slot 3 loaded. I am going to unload it.
>
> 3302 Issuing autochanger "unload 3 0" command.
>
> unload status=OK 0
>
> 3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.
>
> 3993 Bad autochanger command: /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/changer load 1
> /dev/tape 0
>
> 3993 result="Loading media from Storage Element 1 into drive 0...done
>
> ": ERR=Child died from signal 15: Termination

I believe there is a user configurable maximum time bacula will allow
the changer to load a tape and you hit this maximum because bacula can
not tell if your tape is loaded and it is looping forever.

> You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.
>

> After the "autochanger load" command, it seems to hang or just sit and wait
> for five to ten minutes, then it issues the Bad autochanger message which is
> immediately followed by "Loading media, etc......done".
>
> Why does Bacula give an error message and then say the job is done.   Apart
> from that I already know that slot 1 has successfully loaded because I can
> see it on my second monitor with the Dell GUI.  So on monitor 1, I can see
> that the job is done, but on monitor 2 which has the btape command line it
> just sits waiting until finally it issues the Bad autochanger message.  Why?

If you believe the tape was successfully loaded in a slot then you
need to customize the mtx-changer script.

Look at the code

#     sleep 15
      wait_for_drive $device
      exit $rtn
      ;;

I would comment out wait_for_drive and replace it with sleep 120. Turn
on some debugging in the script so you can see what is happening.

John

Re: Bad Autochanger

Arno Lehmann

06.03.2008 11:30, Ken Barclay wrote:

> Greetings Bacula-users,
>

> I’ve been attempting to setup and configure Bacula for the past 2 -3
> weeks, during which time I’ve managed to resolve various problems by
> reading the manual and Googling.  However, this problem has had me
> stumped for several days now.
>

> I have completed the Testing Your Configuration Files (User Manual P.37)
> without any problems.   I have run *btape test*, which ran successfully
> right through until reaching the Autochanger test.  This is where the
> problem lies:
>

> === Autochanger test ===
>

> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
>
> Slot 3 loaded. I am going to unload it.
>
> 3302 Issuing autochanger "unload 3 0" command.
>
> unload status=OK 0
>
> 3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.
>
> 3993 Bad autochanger command: /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/changer load
> 1 /dev/tape 0
>
> 3993 result="Loading media from Storage Element 1 into drive 0...done
>
> ": ERR=Child died from signal 15: Termination

Most probably mtx-changer runs into a timeout there.

> You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.
>

> After the “autochanger load” command, it seems to hang or just sit and
> wait for five to ten minutes, then it issues the Bad autochanger message
> which is immediately followed by “Loading media, etc......done”.
>
> Why does Bacula give an error message and then say the job is done.

Well, because the job is done, though not successfully :-)

> Apart from that I already know that slot 1 has successfully loaded
> because I can see it on my second monitor with the Dell GUI.  So on
> monitor 1, I can see that the job is done, but on monitor 2 which has
> the btape command line it just sits waiting until finally it issues the
> Bad autochanger message.  Why?

Because mtx-changer probably doesn't get the expected output from one
of the commands it runs.

mtx-changer relies on mtx and mt to do the actual work - mtx for
autochanger operation, mt to verify a tape is loaded and online.

If these operations need longer than the timeout set in the
configuration, or the tape operations need longer than expected,
things fail.

You might start with running mtx-changer from the shell. I suspect
that, after a 'load' command, mtx-changer needs very long to recognize
the tape has been loaded. If that's the case, you might simply extend
the timeout for autochanger operations, or tweak mtx-changer a bit to
make it recognize the loaded tape correctly.

Arno

> [...]
>

> Device {
>
>   Name = FileStorage
>
>   Media Type = Tape
>
>   Archive Device = /dev/tape
>
>   LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
>
>   Random Access = no ;
>
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>
>   RemovableMedia = yes ;
>
>   AlwaysOpen = no;
>
>   AutoChanger = yes;
>
> }
>

> #
>
> # An autochanger device with two drives
>
> #
>
> Autochanger {
>
>   Name = Autochanger
>
>   Device = FileStorage
>
>   Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
>
>   Changer Device = /dev/changer
>

> *I hope someone can help me to resolve this problem.  If you need any

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de

Re: Bad Autochanger

Mark Nienberg
Ken Barclay wrote:

> === Autochanger test ===
>
> 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded" command.
>
> Slot 3 loaded. I am going to unload it.
>
> 3302 Issuing autochanger "unload 3 0" command.
>
> unload status=OK 0
>
> 3303 Issuing autochanger "load 1 0" command.

It would be very interesting to know how much time occurred between the
statement above and the error message below.  This would tell you if the
mtx-changer script is not waiting long enough for the load to complete
or if there is some other problem.

> 3993 Bad autochanger command: /etc/bacula/mtx-changer /dev/changer load
> 1 /dev/tape 0
>
> 3993 result="Loading media from Storage Element 1 into drive 0...done
>
> ": ERR=Child died from signal 15: Termination
>
> You must correct this error or the Autochanger will not work.

I suppose the other responses to this message are probably correct, but
the fact that this "Child died" error has been mentioned in 3 different
posts over the last couple of weeks makes we wonder if maybe there is
something else going on.  One thing I've considered, but have not
implemented yet, is replacing the mtx load command in the mtx-changer
script with a command that uses the library utility program that came
with my changer.  That would indicate if there is a problem with mtx.

Mark

Re: Bad Autochanger

John Drescher
>  I suppose the other responses to this message are probably correct, but
>  the fact that this "Child died" error has been mentioned in 3 different
>  posts over the last couple of weeks makes we wonder if maybe there is
>  something else going on.  One thing I've considered, but have not
>  implemented yet, is replacing the mtx load command in the mtx-changer
>  script with a command that uses the library utility program that came
>  with my changer.  That would indicate if there is a problem with mtx.

I believe the "Child Died" is caused by bacula forcibly terminating
the mtx-changer command if it does not complete within 5 minutes (or
whatever the user has set as the max changer wait).

John

Re: Bad Autochanger

Mark Nienberg
John Drescher wrote:

>>  I suppose the other responses to this message are probably correct, but
>>  the fact that this "Child died" error has been mentioned in 3 different
>>  posts over the last couple of weeks makes we wonder if maybe there is
>>  something else going on.  One thing I've considered, but have not
>>  implemented yet, is replacing the mtx load command in the mtx-changer
>>  script with a command that uses the library utility program that came
>>  with my changer.  That would indicate if there is a problem with mtx.
>>
> I believe the "Child Died" is caused by bacula forcibly terminating
> the mtx-changer command if it does not complete within 5 minutes (or
> whatever the user has set as the max changer wait).

    load)
       debug "Doing mtx -f $ctl load $slot $drive"
       ${MTX} -f $ctl load $slot $drive
       rtn=$?
#
# Increase the sleep time if you have a slow device
# or remove the sleep and add the following:
#     sleep 15
       wait_for_drive $device
       exit $rtn
       ;;

It seems to me that no matter how long the wait (and whether it is the
sleep or the wait_for) the load function will always return $rtn, which
is the result of the initial mtx call.  The sleep or wait_for is applied
*after* mtx returns whether mtx returns success or failure.  Am I wrong?

Mark

Re: Bad Autochanger

John Drescher
>     load)
>        debug "Doing mtx -f $ctl load $slot $drive"
>        ${MTX} -f $ctl load $slot $drive
>        rtn=$?
>  #
>  # Increase the sleep time if you have a slow device
>  # or remove the sleep and add the following:
>
> #     sleep 15
>        wait_for_drive $device
>        exit $rtn
>        ;;
>

>  It seems to me that no matter how long the wait (and whether it is the
>  sleep or the wait_for) the load function will always return $rtn, which
>  is the result of the initial mtx call.  The sleep or wait_for is applied
>  *after* mtx returns whether mtx returns success or failure.  Am I wrong?

No you look correct. Is it returning failure.

John

Re: Bad Autochanger

Ken Barclay
Hello John,
As your mail was the first that I received, I followed your advice and guess what......Autochanger Test Successful!

I increased sleep time to 120, and hashed out wait_for_drive.
Thanks very much for your prompt response.  Also thanks to everyone else who found the time to look into this problem.
Cheers,
Ken

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Ken Barclay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello John,
> As your mail was the first that I received, I followed your advice and guess
> what......Autochanger Test Successful!
>
> I increased sleep time to 120, and hashed out wait_for_drive.
> Thanks very much for your prompt response.  Also thanks to everyone else who
> found the time to look into this problem.
> Cheers,
> Ken

Good. I would now try running a test backup job that spans at least 3
tapes just to make sure this is running reliably.

John