Quantcast

Bandwidth in Bacula (slow rate)

Petar Kozić
Hi,

I will try to describe my problem with slow transfer rate.

I was setup Bacula server and now every day I will put one by one instances in backup.

Yesterday I was put one instances and backup was done fine. But for about 47,000 files, sum size 930 MB, bacula is transfer for 11 minutes. Transfer rate is about 1,230 KB/s.

That's very slow. I try to measure bandwidth with iperf. Both instances are on linux. That was Gigabite network between two nodes.

Iperf says:
Interval            Transfer             Bandwidth
0.0-10.0 sec     1.08 GBytes    928 Mbits/sec

I don’t have any Bandwidth statement in configuration file.
How can I run backup faster ?

Petar Kozić
System Administrator

Re: Bandwidth in Bacula (slow rate)

Josh Fisher

On 3/21/2017 9:44 AM, Petar Kozić wrote:
Hi,

I will try to describe my problem with slow transfer rate.

I was setup Bacula server and now every day I will put one by one instances in backup.

Yesterday I was put one instances and backup was done fine. But for about 47,000 files, sum size 930 MB, bacula is transfer for 11 minutes. Transfer rate is about 1,230 KB/s.

That's very slow. I try to measure bandwidth with iperf. Both instances are on linux. That was Gigabite network between two nodes.

Iperf says:
Interval            Transfer             Bandwidth
0.0-10.0 sec     1.08 GBytes    928 Mbits/sec

I don’t have any Bandwidth statement in configuration file.
How can I run backup faster ?

What are the SpoolData and SpoolAttributes settings for the job? This is likely due to database issues. Make sure that SpoolAttributes=yes so that database updates happen in a batch at the end of the job, rather than during the job. If writing to tape, then make sure SpoolData=yes. If writing to disk, then SpoolData=no.