Building bacula-fd for Windows in Windows

Building bacula-fd for Windows in Windows

Matthew Butt
I'm going to look into the slow xfer issue with Windows bacula-fd and am
trying to build it in VC++.

I've got zlib, pthreads and wx to build fine but am having problems with
bacula-fd in VC++.  Compiling works fine but linking produces a bunch of
unresolved externals, first few lines of which are:

save-cwd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
verify.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
makepath.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
message.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
parse_conf.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
restore.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
...etc

These seem to be calling stuff from src/lib but I don't see any .LIB
file for the code.  Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

MattB

Re: Building bacula-fd for Windows in Windows

Kern Sibbald
On Thursday 19 May 2005 16:26, Matthew Butt wrote:
> I'm going to look into the slow xfer issue with Windows bacula-fd and am
> trying to build it in VC++.

If you are using the VC++ project file, it is *way* out of date.  The file
that you need to run with nmake to rebuild it is:

<bacula>/src/win32/baculafd/baculafd.mak

The library files are pulled in by including the ones needed in the link. They
are in src/win32/lib -- if I am not mistaken, everything in that directory
must be compiled and the object files included.

> I've got zlib, pthreads and wx to build fine but am having problems with
> bacula-fd in VC++.  Compiling works fine but linking produces a bunch of
> unresolved externals, first few lines of which are:
>
> save-cwd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> verify.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> makepath.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> message.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> parse_conf.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> restore.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: char
> const * __thiscall berrno::strerror(void)" (?strerror@berrno@@QAEPBDXZ)
> ...etc
>
> These seem to be calling stuff from src/lib but I don't see any .LIB
> file for the code.  Am I missing something here?

Almost everything from src/lib is pulled in from src/win32/lib, because we
could not make VC++ believe that .c files should be compiled as C++ files.
There is no .lib file

> Thanks,
>
> MattB

  (">
  /\
  V_V

RE: Building bacula-fd for Windows in Windows

Matthew Butt
OK thanks - I tried this first and got the error below.

        cl.exe /nologo /MTd /W3 /Gm /GX /ZI /Od /I "../compat" /I "../.." /I "../../../../depkgs-win32/pthreads" /I "../../../../depkgs-win32/zlib" /I "." /D "_DEBUG" /D "_WINMAIN_" /D "PTW32_BUILD" /D "WIN32" /D "_CONSOLE" /D "_MBCS" /D "HAVE_WIN32" /FR".\Debug\\" /Fo".\Debug\\" /Fd".\Debug\\" /FD /GZ /c..\lib\address_conf.cpp address_conf.cpp
NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '"..\..\config.h"'
Stop.

I guess config.h is made by ./configure - was hoping to avoid installing cygwin but looks like I have no choice!

Matthew Butt + T R I C Y C L E

On Thursday 19 May 2005 17:29, Matthew Butt wrote:

> OK thanks - I tried this first and got the error below.
>
>         cl.exe /nologo /MTd /W3 /Gm /GX /ZI /Od /I "../compat" /I "../.."
> /I "../../../../depkgs-win32/pthreads" /I "../../../../depkgs-win32/zlib"
> /I "." /D "_DEBUG" /D "_WINMAIN_" /D "PTW32_BUILD" /D "WIN32" /D "_CONSOLE"
> /D "_MBCS" /D "HAVE_WIN32" /FR".\Debug\\" /Fo".\Debug\\" /Fd".\Debug\\" /FD
> /GZ /c..\lib\address_conf.cpp address_conf.cpp NMAKE : fatal error U1073:
> don't know how to make '"..\..\config.h"' Stop.
>
> I guess config.h is made by ./configure - was hoping to avoid installing
> cygwin but looks like I have no choice!

I can send you one.  Hang on.

> Matthew Butt + T R I C Y C L E

  (">