Client and director mis-match, acceptable?

Client and director mis-match, acceptable?

Tom Plancon
Hi all,
I'm setting up bacula on a CentOS 7 machine. Using yum to install I get bacula 7.0.5-7 installed.  A client I want to back up is running CentOS 6.8 and yum wants to install bacula 5.0.0-13 there. I've found rpms for the client, fd, that are version 7.0.5-7 but trying to install them on CentOS 6.8 is a struggle with the dependencies, and I'm concerned using an "rpm --nodeps or --force" will break something.
What is the recommended procedure for matching clients and directors on disparate systems? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
--
myEMAILsignature Thomas Plancon
CAD/IT MANAGER

E:  [hidden email]
W: www.bkaarchitects.com

Re: Client and director mis-match, acceptable?

Wanderlei Huttel
Hello Thomas

The client in a prior version of (director and storage) is acceptable, but client in a higher version of (director and storage) no.

The general rule:
- director always must be in the same version of storage
- client can be in the same version of director and storage or in a prior version

Or you can compile a new one.

Best regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

Hi all,
I'm setting up bacula on a CentOS 7 machine. Using yum to install I get bacula 7.0.5-7 installed.  A client I want to back up is running CentOS 6.8 and yum wants to install bacula 5.0.0-13 there. I've found rpms for the client, fd, that are version 7.0.5-7 but trying to install them on CentOS 6.8 is a struggle with the dependencies, and I'm concerned using an "rpm --nodeps or --force" will break something.
What is the recommended procedure for matching clients and directors on disparate systems? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
--
Thomas Plancon
CAD/IT MANAGER

E:  [hidden email]
W: www.bkaarchitects.com

Re: Client and director mis-match, acceptable?

Simone Caronni-2

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 5:49 PM, Tom Plancon <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm setting up bacula on a CentOS 7 machine. Using yum to install I get bacula 7.0.5-7 installed.  A client I want to back up is running CentOS 6.8 and yum wants to install bacula 5.0.0-13 there. I've found rpms for the client, fd, that are version 7.0.5-7 but trying to install them on CentOS 6.8 is a struggle with the dependencies, and I'm concerned using an "rpm --nodeps or --force" will break something.
What is the recommended procedure for matching clients and directors on disparate systems? Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

If you don't want to use the RHEL/CentOS provided packages I also maintain a backport repository. In place upgrade from 5.x is supported, just pay attention to the database upgrade:

Please read the various docs as described.

Regards,
--Simone