Connect to SD over OpenVPN

Martijn de Munnik-2
Hi,

I need to backup several laptops which can be in the office but also at home or somewhere else. I trying to make this working using OpenVPN so the laptops are connected to the backup server using a VPN network.

[backup server 172.16.0.10]<---- LAN 172.16.0.0/24 ---->[router with portforwarding 1194]<---- INTERNET ---->[router]<---- LAN ???? ---->[laptop]

OpenVPN is successfully configured and continuously tries to make a connection with the backup server. The laptop get an IP address based on their certificate name so all VPN IPs are known. The Director on the backup server can connect to the FD on the laptop and start a job but the laptop tries to connect to the SD on IP 172.16.0.10. That's where the problem is because the VPN IP of the backup server is 10.67.0.1 so it should connect to the SD on 10.67.0.1.
How can I tell the client to connect to the SD on the right IP?

Martijn de Munnik

Re: Connect to SD over OpenVPN

Bill Moran

> Hi,
>
> I need to backup several laptops which can be in the office but also at home or somewhere else. I trying to make this working using OpenVPN so the laptops are connected to the backup server using a VPN network.
>

> [backup server 172.16.0.10]<---- LAN 172.16.0.0/24 ---->[router with portforwarding 1194]<---- INTERNET ---->[router]<---- LAN ???? ---->[laptop]
>
> OpenVPN is successfully configured and continuously tries to make a connection with the backup server. The laptop get an IP address based on their certificate name so all VPN IPs are known. The Director on the backup server can connect to the FD on the laptop and start a job but the laptop tries to connect to the SD on IP 172.16.0.10. That's where the problem is because the VPN IP of the backup server is 10.67.0.1 so it should connect to the SD on 10.67.0.1.
> How can I tell the client to connect to the SD on the right IP?

Define the storage daemon that way.

I'm confused, however.  Is the SD on the same system as the dir?  If so, why
does it have 2 IPs?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:20:36 -0400, Bill Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to backup several laptops which can be in the office but also at
> home or somewhere else. I trying to make this working using OpenVPN so the
> laptops are connected to the backup server using a VPN network.
>>

>> [backup server 172.16.0.10]<---- LAN 172.16.0.0/24 ---->[router with
> portforwarding 1194]<---- INTERNET ---->[router]<---- LAN ????
> ---->[laptop]
>>
>> OpenVPN is successfully configured and continuously tries to make a
> connection with the backup server. The laptop get an IP address based on
> their certificate name so all VPN IPs are known. The Director on the backup
> server can connect to the FD on the laptop and start a job but the laptop
> tries to connect to the SD on IP 172.16.0.10. That's where the problem is
> because the VPN IP of the backup server is 10.67.0.1 so it should connect
> to the SD on 10.67.0.1.
>> How can I tell the client to connect to the SD on the right IP?
>
> Define the storage daemon that way.
>
> I'm confused, however.  Is the SD on the same system as the dir?  If so,
> why
> does it have 2 IPs?

Hi the SD is on the same machine as the DIR (172.16.0.10) but when a vpn connection is made the SD and DIR are known as 10.67.0.1. One solution could be to do all backups over a VPN connection (so also for the machines in office).

> --
> Bill Moran
> http://www.potentialtech.com
>
> !DSPAM:4628b01b122491062210762!

Re: Connect to SD over OpenVPN

Bill Moran

> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 08:20:36 -0400, Bill Moran <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I need to backup several laptops which can be in the office but also at
> > home or somewhere else. I trying to make this working using OpenVPN so the
> > laptops are connected to the backup server using a VPN network.
> >>

> >> [backup server 172.16.0.10]<---- LAN 172.16.0.0/24 ---->[router with
> > portforwarding 1194]<---- INTERNET ---->[router]<---- LAN ????
> > ---->[laptop]
> >>
> >> OpenVPN is successfully configured and continuously tries to make a
> > connection with the backup server. The laptop get an IP address based on
> > their certificate name so all VPN IPs are known. The Director on the backup
> > server can connect to the FD on the laptop and start a job but the laptop
> > tries to connect to the SD on IP 172.16.0.10. That's where the problem is
> > because the VPN IP of the backup server is 10.67.0.1 so it should connect
> > to the SD on 10.67.0.1.
> >> How can I tell the client to connect to the SD on the right IP?
> >
> > Define the storage daemon that way.
> >
> > I'm confused, however.  Is the SD on the same system as the dir?  If so,
> > why
> > does it have 2 IPs?
> >

> Hi the SD is on the same machine as the DIR (172.16.0.10) but when a vpn connection is made the SD and DIR are known as 10.67.0.1. One solution could be to do all backups over a VPN connection (so also for the machines in office).

How about configuring routing on that system so attempts to contact
172.16.0.10 get routed to the correct interface?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: Connect to SD over OpenVPN

Vicente_42
Glad to know about this information on openvpn. I am in search of best vpn providers and came across hidemyass pro vpn review. Got to know that they are providing good services and looking forward to get registered with them.