Difference between Full and Used status

Jason Voorhees
Hello guys:

I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
concepts to make my own documents for clarification.

I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used status?

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

Phil Stracchino-2
On 03/28/16 18:41, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hello guys:
>
> I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
> concepts to make my own documents for clarification.
>
> I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used status?

A Full tape has necessarily been Used.

A Used tape is not necessarily Full, but because it is marked Used,
nothing more can be written to it without either setting it back to
Append, or Recycling it.

Example usage:
My monthly full backup tapes have a 24-hour use window.  The backup
takes about one and a half tapes.  At the end of the full backup, I
manually mark the half-full tape Used to prevent any other jobs from
being written to it.
My daily disk incremental-backup volumes have a 23-hour use window.
That use window expires about an hour before the next day's backup
starts.  This forces the previous day's volume to be marked Used, and a
new volume created for the new day's backups, instead of appending
another set of backups to the previous volume.  Thus I only ever have
one days' backups in a single disk volume, and can prune old volumes
with complete freedom.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

The two statuses have the same effect, but Full is only marked when the
Volume is full.  Used is marked typically when the use time period
expires or some similar feature keeps Bacula from writing on the Volume.

On 03/29/2016 08:41 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:

> Hello guys:
>
> I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
> concepts to make my own documents for clarification.
>
> I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used status?
>
> Thank you all in advance.

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

Jason Voorhees
Thank you Kern, Phil.

It's pretty clear to me what a Used status means: when a volume reaches its maximum duration time (i.e. Use Volume Once, Volume Use Duration). But it wasn't clear the difference with Full status.

If using tapes I could guess that a volume may have a Full status when the physical media is actually full (i.e. 1.5 TB for a LTO-5 tape), but what about File volumes? If I use "Maximum Volume Bytes = 10G", will my volumes get the Full status when they reach 10 GB of data?

On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:
The two statuses have the same effect, but Full is only marked when the Volume is full.  Used is marked typically when the use time period expires or some similar feature keeps Bacula from writing on the Volume.

On 03/29/2016 08:41 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
Hello guys:

I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
concepts to make my own documents for clarification.

I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used status?

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

Kern Sibbald
Hello Jason,

Yes, when a Volume reaches the "configured" maximum size, it should be
marked "Full".

On 03/29/2016 10:11 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:

> Thank you Kern, Phil.
>
> It's pretty clear to me what a Used status means: when a volume reaches
> its maximum duration time (i.e. Use Volume Once, Volume Use Duration).
> But it wasn't clear the difference with Full status.
>
> If using tapes I could guess that a volume may have a Full status when
> the physical media is actually full (i.e. 1.5 TB for a LTO-5 tape), but
> what about File volumes? If I use "Maximum Volume Bytes = 10G", will my
> volumes get the Full status when they reach 10 GB of data?
>

> On Mon, Mar 28, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     The two statuses have the same effect, but Full is only marked when
>     the Volume is full.  Used is marked typically when the use time
>     period expires or some similar feature keeps Bacula from writing on
>     the Volume.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Kern
>

>     On 03/29/2016 08:41 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>
>         Hello guys:
>
>         I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
>         concepts to make my own documents for clarification.
>
>         I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used
>         status?
>
>         Thank you all in advance.

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

Jason Voorhees
Cool, thanks again Kern!

I believe Bacula documentation needs to be reviewed and updated 'cause there are some typos, outdated and wrong info. I would be happy to help with this once I finish clarifying some basic concepts about Bacula that I didn't understand well in the past and caused me some headaches (filesystems getting full, failed backups, many failed jobs, volumes in Error status, jobs being upgraded to Full, data not being able to be restored, paing and suffering, etc...)

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

    The two statuses have the same effect, but Full is only marked when
    the Volume is full.  Used is marked typically when the use time
    period expires or some similar feature keeps Bacula from writing on
    the Volume.

    On 03/29/2016 08:41 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:

        Hello guys:

        I feel like a newbie in Bacula so I'm trying to understand some
        concepts to make my own documents for clarification.

        I have a question: what's the difference between a Full and Used
        status?

        Thank you all in advance.

Re: Difference between Full and Used status

Kern Sibbald
Hello Jason,

Yes, the Bacula document is so big that some of the documentation could
use a fresh touch.  There is also a good amount of integration of new
features from the New Features chapter into the manual body that need to
be done.

Any help would be appreciated. I am sure you know, but please note: the
documentation source is in .tex format, so any suggestions/updates are
much better to submit relative to the source.  If that is not possible
(some people don't want to work with .tex) the best way to contribute
documentation changes is via a Documentation bug report in the bugs
database.