Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

LeJav
Hello,

I have done several tests and I don't understand well the recycling to the Scratch pool.
According to the documentation and my tests, the recycling occurs only when a job
  needs a tape and there is no one appendable in the pool. In this case, it will
  try to recycle a tape (from the same pool only !)
I have never succeeded to have a tape recycled in the Scratch pool when all the retention periods
  had elapsed.
Or maybe something is wrong with my configuration ?

If for instance I have several tapes in a pool which are not Append and for which the
  retention periods (files/jobs/volumes) have elapsed, they will not be automatically
  recycled in the Scratch pool, to be reused by a job in another pool.

Thx for your explanations !

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

LeJav
Any explanation on the recycle mechanism is welcome !

LeJav a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> I have done several tests and I don't understand well the recycling to the Scratch pool.
> According to the documentation and my tests, the recycling occurs only when a job
>   needs a tape and there is no one appendable in the pool. In this case, it will
>   try to recycle a tape (from the same pool only !)
> I have never succeeded to have a tape recycled in the Scratch pool when all the retention periods
>   had elapsed.
> Or maybe something is wrong with my configuration ?
>
> If for instance I have several tapes in a pool which are not Append and for which the
>   retention periods (files/jobs/volumes) have elapsed, they will not be automatically
>   recycled in the Scratch pool, to be reused by a job in another pool.
>
> Thx for your explanations !

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

James Cort-2
LeJav wrote:
> Any explanation on the recycle mechanism is welcome !

The scratch pool is only used for newly labelled volumes.  If there are
no spare tapes in the pool that the current backup is taking place on,
Bacula will look to see if it can take one from the scratch pool.  It
won't look for volumes which may be recycled but are part of another
pool, nor will it move volumes back to scratch when they become
eligible for recycling.  Though that's an interesting idea.....

HTH,

James.

--
James Cort

IT Manager
U4EA Technologies Ltd.

--
U4EA Technologies
http://www.u4eatech.com

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

Attila Fülöp-2
James Cort wrote:
> LeJav wrote:
>> Any explanation on the recycle mechanism is welcome !
>
> The scratch pool is only used for newly labelled volumes.  If there are
> no spare tapes in the pool that the current backup is taking place on,
> Bacula will look to see if it can take one from the scratch pool.  It
> won't look for volumes which may be recycled but are part of another
> pool, nor will it move volumes back to scratch when they become
> eligible for recycling.  Though that's an interesting idea.....

You can use "RecyclePool = Scratch" in the pool resource:

RecyclePool = <pool-resource-name> On versions 2.1.4 or greater,
    this directive defines to which pool the Volume will be placed (moved)
    when it is recycled.

Attila Fülöp wrote:
> > You can use "RecyclePool = Scratch" in the pool resource:
> >
> > RecyclePool = <pool-resource-name> On versions 2.1.4 or greater,
> >     this directive defines to which pool the Volume will be placed
(moved)
> >     when it is recycled.

Well, you learn something every day.

I'm not clear from the manual - I would think it logical that such a
line goes into the pool definition for the source pool, eg:

Pool {
  Name = DailyTape
  Pool Type = Backup
  Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
  Recycle = Yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Recycle Current Volume = yes
  Volume Retention = 27 days
  Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
  RecyclePool = Scratch
}

however, the manual states:

"This directive is probably most useful when defined in the Scratch
pool"  - surely the scratch pool is one pool in which you wouldn't
define this?

--
James Cort

IT Manager
U4EA Technologies Ltd.

--
U4EA Technologies
http://www.u4eatech.com

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

LeJav
I have defined it in the pool
Pool {
  Name = System
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Volume Retention = 1 days 1 hour # for tests
  RecyclePool = Scratch
}

but tapes never go automatically to Scratch pool after the retention period.

I will check source code to understand...

>> > You can use "RecyclePool = Scratch" in the pool resource:
>> >
>> > RecyclePool = <pool-resource-name> On versions 2.1.4 or greater,
>> > this directive defines to which pool the Volume will be placed
> (moved)
>> > when it is recycled.

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

LeJav
The problem is that the variable RecyclePoolId is not set for the media.
If I execute "update volume" for all the volumes of the pool, the RecyclePoolId
  field is well set, and recycling works fine
It seems there is a bug...

LeJav wrote:
> The problem is that the variable RecyclePoolId is not set for the media.
> If I execute "update volume" for all the volumes of the pool, the RecyclePoolId
>   field is well set, and recycling works fine
> It seems there is a bug...

Nope, this is by design. If you change a pools definition only volumes
added after that date will pick up the new defs, all existing volumes
must be updated, see "update volume", "All Volumes from Pool" in the
manual.

This is a common pitfall when changing volume parameters like retention
times and the like.

Attila

James Cort wrote:

> Attila Fülöp wrote:
>>> You can use "RecyclePool = Scratch" in the pool resource:
>>>
>>> RecyclePool = <pool-resource-name> On versions 2.1.4 or greater,
>>>     this directive defines to which pool the Volume will be placed
> (moved)
>>>     when it is recycled.
>>>

> Well, you learn something every day.
>
> I'm not clear from the manual - I would think it logical that such a
> line goes into the pool definition for the source pool, eg:
>

> Pool {
>   Name = DailyTape
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Cleaning Prefix = "CLN"
>   Recycle = Yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   Recycle Current Volume = yes
>   Volume Retention = 27 days
>   Volume Use Duration = 23 hours
>   RecyclePool = Scratch
> }

Right.

> however, the manual states:
>
> "This directive is probably most useful when defined in the Scratch
> pool"  - surely the scratch pool is one pool in which you wouldn't
> define this?

Yes, this is a bit misleading and should better read
"most useful when <pool-resource-name> is the Scratch pool"
or the like.

Attila

Re: Don't understant recycling and Scratch pool

LeJav
In fact, my initial configuration was not correct.
The RecyclePool=Scratch directive must be specified in the Scratch pool section.
If I purge a tape, it is automatically moved to the Scratch pool.
But the tape is never moved to the Scratch pool after a retention period.
I have to purge it manually for that.