Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer

Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer

Moot Account
The job is trying to fetch some files from a machine located remotely (WAN).
Bacula-director is a Debian (etch). Client is Centos 5.

I get the following errors:

Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer
Fatal error: No Job status returned from FD.
Error: Bacula 1.38.11

What is interesting is, I get the errors at exactly 15 mins and
4-7secs of Elapsed time.

Any hints in debugging this?

Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Re: Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer

Dan Langille
Joshua Lenmarc wrote:

> The job is trying to fetch some files from a machine located remotely (WAN).
> Bacula-director is a Debian (etch). Client is Centos 5.
>
> I get the following errors:
>
> Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer
> Fatal error: No Job status returned from FD.
> Error: Bacula 1.38.11
>
> What is interesting is, I get the errors at exactly 15 mins and
> 4-7secs of Elapsed time.
>
> Any hints in debugging this?

That time frame is your clue.  I suspect there is a firewall or gateway
that is dropping the connection.

Look at the heartbeat or keep-alive options.  That may be what you need.

--
Dan Langille - http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Fatal error: Network error with FD during Backup: ERR=Connection reset by peer

Moot Account
Thanks Dan! We have a SonicWall firewall and we suspect that some
record (for our 1:1 NAT) is being dropped. The heartbeat options for
Storage and File daemon as advised in the FAQ works:
http://www.bacula.org/dev-manual/Bacula_Freque_Asked_Questi.html#SECTION0037340000000000000000

Thanks all for your help!