How to limit uncopiedjobs

Lee Brown
Hi,

Is there a way to limit what is considered a 'copied' job?  I recently enabled a copy-job which I had in place for ages and just decided to activate.  Unfortunately it wants to copy a few hundreds of jobs going back months, which is not very useful.

How can I mark jobs as already copied?  I found a reference to a similar question here with no resolution.

Thanks,
lee

Re: How to limit uncopiedjobs

Bill Arlofski-4
On 06/28/2017 08:01 PM, Lee Brown wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to limit what is considered a 'copied' job?  I recently enabled
> a copy-job which I had in place for ages and just decided to activate.
> Unfortunately it wants to copy a few hundreds of jobs going back months, which
> is not very useful.
>
> How can I mark jobs as already copied?  I found a reference to a similar
> question here
> <http://www.backupcentral.com/forum/19/247405/247683/question_about_pooluncopiedjobs_selection#msg-247683>
> with no resolution.
>
> Thanks,
> lee

Hi Lee,

What I always recommend in this case is to temporarily not use the
"PoolUncopiedJobs" option, and instead use the SQL option, and set up
something like this:

----8<----
Selection Type = SQLQuery
Selection Pattern = "SELECT JobId FROM Job WHERE Type='B' AND JobStatus='T'
AND JobId BETWEEN 'x' AND 'y' ORDER BY JobId ASC;"
----8<----

Then you can do the copy jobs in batches.

Later, once you have copied all the jobs, you can revert to the
"PoolUncopiedJobs" method.

Best regards,

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
http://www.revpol.com/bacula

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Bill Arlofski <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 06/28/2017 08:01 PM, Lee Brown wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to limit what is considered a 'copied' job?  I recently enabled
> a copy-job which I had in place for ages and just decided to activate.
> Unfortunately it wants to copy a few hundreds of jobs going back months, which
> is not very useful.
>
> How can I mark jobs as already copied?  I found a reference to a similar
> question here
> <http://www.backupcentral.com/forum/19/247405/247683/question_about_pooluncopiedjobs_selection#msg-247683>
> with no resolution.
>
> Thanks,
> lee

Hi Lee,

What I always recommend in this case is to temporarily not use the
"PoolUncopiedJobs" option, and instead use the SQL option, and set up
something like this:

----8<----
Selection Type = SQLQuery
Selection Pattern = "SELECT JobId FROM Job WHERE Type='B' AND JobStatus='T'
AND JobId BETWEEN 'x' AND 'y' ORDER BY JobId ASC;"
----8<----

Then you can do the copy jobs in batches.

Later, once you have copied all the jobs, you can revert to the
"PoolUncopiedJobs" method.

Best regards,

Bill
Thanks Bill,

This is very useful but unfortunately in my case the uncopied jobs are in the region of 100TB which is just going to take forever over a 100mb/s link onto a 1TB disk (usually less than 20-30 minutes at night) for a single copy.

I think I'll just create a new pool and copy jobs from that, just let the existing one age out.

On 06/29/2017 05:30 PM, Lee Brown wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Bill Arlofski <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 06/28/2017 08:01 PM, Lee Brown wrote:
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > Is there a way to limit what is considered a 'copied' job?  I recently
>     enabled
>     > a copy-job which I had in place for ages and just decided to activate.
>     > Unfortunately it wants to copy a few hundreds of jobs going back months,
>     which
>     > is not very useful.
>     >
>     > How can I mark jobs as already copied?  I found a reference to a similar
>     > question here
>     >
>     <http://www.backupcentral.com/forum/19/247405/247683/question_about_pooluncopiedjobs_selection#msg-247683
>     <http://www.backupcentral.com/forum/19/247405/247683/question_about_pooluncopiedjobs_selection#msg-247683>>
>     > with no resolution.
>     >
>     > Thanks,
>     > lee
>
>     Hi Lee,
>
>     What I always recommend in this case is to temporarily not use the
>     "PoolUncopiedJobs" option, and instead use the SQL option, and set up
>     something like this:
>
>     ----8<----
>     Selection Type = SQLQuery
>     Selection Pattern = "SELECT JobId FROM Job WHERE Type='B' AND JobStatus='T'
>     AND JobId BETWEEN 'x' AND 'y' ORDER BY JobId ASC;"
>     ----8<----
>
>     Then you can do the copy jobs in batches.
>
>     Later, once you have copied all the jobs, you can revert to the
>     "PoolUncopiedJobs" method.
>

>     Best regards,
>
>     Bill
>
> Thanks Bill,
>
> This is very useful but unfortunately in my case the uncopied jobs are in the
> region of 100TB which is just going to take forever over a 100mb/s link onto a
> 1TB disk (usually less than 20-30 minutes at night) for a single copy.
>
> I think I'll just create a new pool and copy jobs from that, just let the
> existing one age out.

Hi Lee,

Funny thing is, that is the other thing I recommend when someone has a lot of
jobs in a pools where the PoolUncopiedJobs just won't work due to there being
so many jobs in the pool to copy.

I was in a rush to answer you and neglected to offer that as another option.

I think you're on the right track and have got this under control now. :)

Best regards,

Bill