How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

Sean Carolan-2
Due to disk space limitations I would like to re-use the same volumes
each week for a single full backup.  Every time I try to run a new
job, I get an error stating that bacula cannot find any append-able
volumes.  It has been over six days since my last backup.  Anyone know
how to make bacula re-use the same volumes, overwriting or deleting
the old backups each week?

15-Mar 14:12 bacula-sd: Job BackupPC.2010-03-15_14.12.31 waiting.
Cannot find any appendable volumes.

Here are my pool settings:

Pool {
  Name = BackupPC_pool
  Pool Type = Backup
  Volume Retention = 6 days
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  UseVolumeOnce = yes
}

And here are the client settings:

Client {
  Name = myhost
  Address = myhost.company.com
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = ***********
  File Retention = 6 days
  Job Retention = 6 days
  AutoPrune = yes
}

Re: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

Sean Carolan-2
On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Sean Carolan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Due to disk space limitations I would like to re-use the same volumes
> each week for a single full backup.  Every time I try to run a new
> job, I get an error stating that bacula cannot find any append-able
> volumes.  It has been over six days since my last backup.  Anyone know
> how to make bacula re-use the same volumes, overwriting or deleting
> the old backups each week?

Update - I was able to purge the old volumes manually, am just curious
whether bacula can prune them automatically, and also load the labeled
volumes (tapes) in the tape changer.

Re: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

bacula-users-2
You can use ...

PurgeOldestVolume = yes

... in the Pool definition but take care; here's from the Bacula Main
Reference: "However, if you use this directive and have only one Volume in
the Pool, you will immediately recycle your Volume if you fill it and Bacula
needs another one. Thus your backup will be totally invalid. Please use this
directive with care".

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 2:16 PM, Sean Carolan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Due to disk space limitations I would like to re-use the same volumes
> each week for a single full backup.  Every time I try to run a new
> job, I get an error stating that bacula cannot find any append-able
> volumes.  It has been over six days since my last backup.  Anyone know
> how to make bacula re-use the same volumes, overwriting or deleting
> the old backups each week?

Update - I was able to purge the old volumes manually, am just curious
whether bacula can prune them automatically, and also load the labeled
volumes (tapes) in the tape changer.

Re: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

Thomas Mueller-13
Am Mon, 15 Mar 2010 14:16:19 -0500 schrieb Sean Carolan:

> Due to disk space limitations I would like to re-use the same volumes
> each week for a single full backup.  Every time I try to run a new job,
> I get an error stating that bacula cannot find any append-able volumes.
> It has been over six days since my last backup.  Anyone know how to make
> bacula re-use the same volumes, overwriting or deleting the old backups
> each week?

maybe change VolumeRetention to 5 days and do an "update volumes from
resource" (only changing *.conf won't do the trick).

Also change "Use volume once" to "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1 "

http://www.bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION0017150000000000000000

- Thomas

Sean Carolan wrote:

>> maybe change VolumeRetention to 5 days and do an "update volumes from
>> resource" (only changing *.conf won't do the trick).
>>
>> Also change "Use volume once" to "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1 "
>
> Here's what I have in my bacula-sd.conf:
>
> Device {
>   Name = d2d4112
>   Drive Index = 0
>   Media Type = LTO-4
>   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
>   AutomaticMount = yes
>   AlwaysOpen = yes
>   RemovableMedia = yes
>   Random Access = no
>   AutoChanger = yes;
>   Alert Command = "sh -c 'smartctl -H -l error %c'"
> }
>
> I have automaticmount set as yes, but I haven't seen a volume get
> mounted automatically yet.  Every time Bacula sends me an email asking
> me to mount manually.  What am I missing here?

you need to edit the "Pool" resource ("Maximum Volume Jobs" and "Volume
Retention") in bacula-dir.conf

Read:

Sean Carolan wrote:

>> you need to edit the "Pool" resource ("Maximum Volume Jobs" and "Volume
>> Retention") in bacula-dir.conf
>
> Thank you, Thomas.  I have read through the manual section on the Pool
> resource.  Here is one of my pool definitions:
>
> Pool {
>   Name = BackupPC_pool
>   Pool Type = Backup
>   Volume Retention = 5 days
>   Recycle = yes
>   AutoPrune = yes
>   MaximumVolumeJobs = 1
> }
>
> Shouldn't this configuration automatically recycle volumes if I run my
> backup once a week?  My current process goes something like this:
>
> 1.  Unmount tape that is in the drive
> 2.  Run the "purge" command to wipe the volumes for my next backup
> 3.  Run "mtx -f /dev/sg0 load #" to load up the next tape
> 4.  Run "mount" to get the tape ready
> 5.  Run my backup

there should be no need to do anything manually.

did you restart bacula-dir (or "reload" on bconsole) and "update volumes
from resource" in bconsole (or bat) after changing the bacula-dir.conf ?

- Thomas

Sean Carolan wrote:

>> 23-Mar 20:56 bacula-sd: Invalid slot=0 defined, cannot autoload Volume.
>> 23-Mar 20:56 bacula-sd: Please mount Volume "Bacula_Catalog" on
>> Storage Device "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0) for Job
>> BackupCatalog.2010-03-22_23.05.00
>>
>> Any ideas how I can help it find the right slots?
>
> When I do a "list volumes" it is showing all volumes in "slot 0".
> "update slots" yields this:

> Volume "724CE972" not found in catalog. Slot=20 InChanger set to zero.
> Volume "724CE973" not found in catalog. Slot=21 InChanger set to zero.
> Volume "724CE974" not found in catalog. Slot=22 InChanger set to zero.
> Volume "724CE975" not found in catalog. Slot=23 InChanger set to zero.
> Volume "724CE976" not found in catalog. Slot=24 InChanger set to zero.

so your tapes got barcodes but bacula doesn't know about them yet. you
need to label them first (command: label barcodes).

- Thomas

Re: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

John Drescher
>> Volume "724CE972" not found in catalog. Slot=20 InChanger set to zero.
>> Volume "724CE973" not found in catalog. Slot=21 InChanger set to zero.
>> Volume "724CE974" not found in catalog. Slot=22 InChanger set to zero.
>> Volume "724CE975" not found in catalog. Slot=23 InChanger set to zero.
>> Volume "724CE976" not found in catalog. Slot=24 InChanger set to zero.
>
> so your tapes got barcodes but bacula doesn't know about them yet. you
> need to label them first (command: label barcodes).

Agreed. Execute label barcodes and follow the prompts. I would put
them in the Scratch pool if you have more than 1 pool for your
changer.

John

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Sean Carolan <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Agreed. Execute label barcodes and follow the prompts. I would put
>> them in the Scratch pool if you have more than 1 pool for your
>> changer.
>
> Ok, I have done this, now I have another issue.  I'm trying to do a
> test restore from one of my jobs and it is stuck in "waiting for a
> mount request":
>
>    49         RestoreFiles.2010-03-24_12.12.59 is waiting for a mount request
>
> I have verified that the correct tape is loaded, and run the mount
> command.   It says "is doing acquire":
>
> 3001 Device "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0) is doing acquire.

Have you waited a few minutes for this to complete?

--
John M. Drescher

Fwd: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

John Drescher
> Have you waited a few minutes for this to complete?

Yes.  Here's what I see for storage status:

Device status:
Autochanger "Autochanger" with devices:
  "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0)
Device "FileStorage" (/tmp) is not open.
   Device is BLOCKED waiting for media.
Device "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0) is not open.
   Device is being initialized.
   Slot 24 is loaded in drive 0.

Why is /tmp blocked?  The volume that the data is on is from slot 24.
Did the "label barcodes" command I ran earlier mess something up?

--
John M. Drescher

Fwd: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

John Drescher
Please always reply to the list as well as the person you are
communicating with. I do not always have time to answer.

> Have you waited a few minutes for this to complete?

Yes.  Here's what I see for storage status:

Device status:
Autochanger "Autochanger" with devices:
  "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0)
Device "FileStorage" (/tmp) is not open.
   Device is BLOCKED waiting for media.
Device "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0) is not open.
   Device is being initialized.
   Slot 24 is loaded in drive 0.

Why is /tmp blocked?  The volume that the data is on is from slot 24.
Did the "label barcodes" command I ran earlier mess something up?

--
John M. Drescher

--
John M. Drescher

Re: Fwd: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

Sean Carolan-2
On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM, John Drescher <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Please always reply to the list as well as the person you are
> communicating with. I do not always have time to answer.

Sorry, my bad.  Some lists allow "reply" while others require "reply
all".  I wasn't paying attention to the "to:" address that closely.
Here is the latest update on my situation:

Yes.  Here's what I see for storage status:
Device status:
Autochanger "Autochanger" with devices:
  "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0)
Device "FileStorage" (/tmp) is not open.
   Device is BLOCKED waiting for media.
Device "d2d4112" (/dev/nst0) is not open.
   Device is being initialized.
   Slot 24 is loaded in drive 0.

Reading: Full Restore job RestoreFiles JobId=50 Volume="Nettracker_tape1"
   pool="Default" device=""FileStorage" (/tmp)"
   Files=0 Bytes=0 Bytes/sec=0
   FDReadSeqNo=170 in_msg=169 out_msg=5 fd=10

Why is /tmp blocked?  The volume that the data is on is from slot 24.
/tmp doesn't look right for the device.
Did the "label barcodes" command I ran earlier mess something up?

Re: Fwd: How to re-use existing volumes in pool?

Sean Carolan-2
> Why is /tmp blocked?  The volume that the data is on is from slot 24.
> /tmp doesn't look right for the device.
> Did the "label barcodes" command I ran earlier mess something up?

Oddly this error seems to have gone away.  I was able to run the
restore job with no issues, even though I didn't change anything since
my last post.