Linux-Kongress 2005

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Linux-Kongress 2005

Arno Lehmann
Hello,

I just learned that the Linux-Kongress 2005 will take place in Hamburg:

> 12th International Linux System Technology Conference
> October 11-14, 2005 at University of Hamburg, Germany

They have a call for papers - is anyone interested in presenting bacula
there?

This might be a good opportunity to present our most favoured :-) backup
program to an increasing community...

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [hidden email]
Arno Lehmann                  http://www.its-lehmann.de


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux-Kongress 2005

Kern Sibbald-2
Hello Arno,

This is an interesting proposal.  I might be interested in giving such a
presentation if no one else is interested.  My concerns are:

- I have never attended such a conference, so it would be very
  difficult to give a presentation not having previously attended to
  know the style and quality they expect.

- It takes quite a long time for me to prepare for such a presentation,
  especially one of 40 minutes.  I'm wondering if it would justify the
  time taken from programming.

As you can see, I am a bit reluctant to give such a presentation.  However, I
think it would be worth while to attend, if not to give a presentation, at
least to inform myself for giving one at a future conference.

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:32, Arno Lehmann wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just learned that the Linux-Kongress 2005 will take place in Hamburg:
> > 12th International Linux System Technology Conference
> > October 11-14, 2005 at University of Hamburg, Germany
>
> They have a call for papers - is anyone interested in presenting bacula
> there?
>
> This might be a good opportunity to present our most favoured :-) backup
> program to an increasing community...
>
> Arno

--
Best regards,

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [Bacula-devel] Re: Linux-Kongress 2005

Jo-14
Kern Sibbald wrote:

>Hello Arno,
>
>This is an interesting proposal.  I might be interested in giving such a
>presentation if no one else is interested.  My concerns are:
>
>- I have never attended such a conference, so it would be very
>  difficult to give a presentation not having previously attended to
>  know the style and quality they expect.
>
>- It takes quite a long time for me to prepare for such a presentation,
>  especially one of 40 minutes.  I'm wondering if it would justify the
>  time taken from programming.
>
>As you can see, I am a bit reluctant to give such a presentation.  However, I
>think it would be worth while to attend, if not to give a presentation, at
>least to inform myself for giving one at a future conference.
>
>On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:32, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>  
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I just learned that the Linux-Kongress 2005 will take place in Hamburg:
>>    
>>
>>>12th International Linux System Technology Conference
>>>October 11-14, 2005 at University of Hamburg, Germany
>>>      
>>>
>>They have a call for papers - is anyone interested in presenting bacula
>>there?
>>
>>This might be a good opportunity to present our most favoured :-) backup
>>program to an increasing community...
>>
>>Arno
>>    
>>
If you do prepare a presentation, then please consider presenting it at
FOSDEM (http://www.fosdem.org/2005) in Brussels too. It is organized
every year during a weekend towards the end of February. It is a
conference for developers, altough many people simply interested by free
software come there, of course. There is the potential to reach more
than a thousand people with an interest in free software. There are
usually three tracks, so not everybody will be listening to your story,
but I think it's worthwhile. Maybe it makes more sense to prepare a talk
if you give it at more than one place. As far as time away from
development goes, if Bacula gets known to and used by a wider public,
especially one of developers and long time Linux users and tweakers,
there is a good chance that more people will become interested in
contributing to the development. So, I guess, I'm trying to say that it
would make a good investment.
Concerning the contents of the talk: you're the expert, you can't go
wrong. I think what is needed is to talk about the possibilites and the
features of the software. I don't think a demo is necessary. On a
conference where there are developers a roadmap for what you want to
implement for the future and an invitation to help would be appropriate.
During the summer (second week of July) there is also a meeting in
Dijon, France (http://www.rencontresmondiales.org/sections). I'll
probably be going there as well. Maybe that's a good place to get a feel
for the style and the quality expected... and I don't think it's very
far away from Switzerland. It's also a great place to meet lots of
people with an interest in free software and sometimes to exchange tips,
know-how, or to discuss best practices etc.

If you do the talk at Hamburg, I'll add that conference to the list of
conferences I'm going to attend. :-)

Jo


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux-Kongress 2005

Arno Lehmann
In reply to this post by Kern Sibbald-2
Kern,

Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello Arno,
>
> This is an interesting proposal.  I might be interested in giving such a
> presentation if no one else is interested.  My concerns are:
>
> - I have never attended such a conference, so it would be very
>   difficult to give a presentation not having previously attended to
>   know the style and quality they expect.

Neither do I. Still, I think a presentation of any kind is good if you
achieve what you want, so, you define what quality you want to offer.
Naturally, afterwards others might tell you if you met their
expectations, but still there's no right or wrong there as long as you
achieve what yo want. (Slightly simplified :-)

> - It takes quite a long time for me to prepare for such a presentation,
>   especially one of 40 minutes.  I'm wondering if it would justify the
>   time taken from programming.

Well, as Jo already said - I think it might be worth the effort.

> As you can see, I am a bit reluctant to give such a presentation.  However, I
> think it would be worth while to attend, if not to give a presentation, at
> least to inform myself for giving one at a future conference.

Well, if you decide you might want to give a presentation I'd be willing
to help preparing or holding it. At the moment, I can't promise
anything, but I'm quite sure I will find the time to go there and I hope
I understand enough of bacula to prepare something. In fact, I think it
would be a good idea if someone else would like to join - you're
definitely the key person concerning baculas development, I'm definitely
more a user than a developer, but someone else with a good understanding
of baculas source would probably help to give a better understanding of
bacula.

Well, let's see what develops.

Arno

> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 13:32, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I just learned that the Linux-Kongress 2005 will take place in Hamburg:
>>
>>>12th International Linux System Technology Conference
>>>October 11-14, 2005 at University of Hamburg, Germany
>>
>>They have a call for papers - is anyone interested in presenting bacula
>>there?
>>
>>This might be a good opportunity to present our most favoured :-) backup
>>program to an increasing community...
>>
>>Arno
>
>

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [hidden email]
Arno Lehmann                  http://www.its-lehmann.de


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Linux-Kongress 2005

Dan Langille
On 31 May 2005 at 20:34, Arno Lehmann wrote:

> Kern,
>
> Kern Sibbald wrote:
>
> > Hello Arno,
> >
> > This is an interesting proposal.  I might be interested in giving
> > such a presentation if no one else is interested.  My concerns are:
> >
> > - I have never attended such a conference, so it would be very
> >   difficult to give a presentation not having previously attended to
> >   know the style and quality they expect.
>
> Neither do I. Still, I think a presentation of any kind is good if you
> achieve what you want, so, you define what quality you want to offer.
> Naturally, afterwards others might tell you if you met their
> expectations, but still there's no right or wrong there as long as you
> achieve what yo want. (Slightly simplified :-)

I think anything you produce will be fine.  Take what I used as a
starting point. Just talk about Bacula, the philosphy, the
components.

Oh... I thought it was at http://www.freebsddiary.org/talks/

Ping me and I'll send them to you when I'm at home.
> > - It takes quite a long time for me to prepare for such a
> > presentation,
> >   especially one of 40 minutes.  I'm wondering if it would justify
> >   the time taken from programming.
>
> Well, as Jo already said - I think it might be worth the effort.

So far, the world has only seen me (AFAIK) talk about Bacula.  Kern,
go for it.  Next year (2006), we'll get you over here for BSDCan.  
There's plenty of BSD Bacula users.

> > As you can see, I am a bit reluctant to give such a presentation.
> > However, I think it would be worth while to attend, if not to give a
> > presentation, at least to inform myself for giving one at a future
> > conference.
>
> Well, if you decide you might want to give a presentation I'd be
> willing to help preparing or holding it. At the moment, I can't
> promise anything, but I'm quite sure I will find the time to go there
> and I hope I understand enough of bacula to prepare something. In
> fact, I think it would be a good idea if someone else would like to
> join - you're definitely the key person concerning baculas
> development, I'm definitely more a user than a developer, but someone
> else with a good understanding of baculas source would probably help
> to give a better understanding of bacula.

Users always love to hear from developers.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/




-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users