Quantcast

Migrate subset of volume to tape

Luiz F. C. Martins

Hi all,

I’d like to ask you guys if do know any way to run a migration of a subset of a volume to tape, but not the whole volume.

For instance, a monthly full backup job from one server is about ~1TB in size and another monthly Migration moves it to tape. Now we require that a subset of that volume(a specific fileset of 200GB) is moved to a different tape.

I now that I can create a second backup job for that client with that specific fileset and migrate that to tape, however I’m looking for an alternative to avoid wasting space with a second backup job.

Kind Regards,

Luiz Fernando Cotta Martins

IT Systems Administrator

Wellington Building

Griffith College

South Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland

Phone:  + 353 1 416 3365

Website: http://www.griffith.ie

Disclaimer:

This E-mail is from Griffith College Dublin.

The E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and may be privileged and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.

If you are not the addressee you are prohibited from disclosing its content, copying it or distributing it otherwise than to the addressee. If you have received this e-mail in error,

please immediately notify the sender by replying to this e-mail and delete the e-mail from your computer. Griffith College is a trading name of Bellerophon Ltd,

(registered in Ireland No. 60469) with its registered address as Griffith College Campus,South Circular Road, Dublin 8, Ireland.

P Think before you print!

Re: Migrate subset of volume to tape

Dimitri Maziuk
On 01/30/2017 11:39 AM, Luiz F. C. Martins wrote:

> For instance, a monthly full backup job from one server is about
> ~1TB in size and another monthly Migration moves it to tape. Now we require
that a subset of that volume(a specific fileset of 200GB) is moved to a
different tape.

I doubt you can do that without "un-archiving" the entire tape to get
that fileset out, but do you also want that different tape in the
catalog etc.?

--
Dimitri Maziuk
Programmer/sysadmin