Moving volumes from one SD to another

12

Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Kern Sibbald
Hello Dan,

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
OK, but how will Bacula know that the files/Volumes are now on a new SD?  The db is still pointing to the old SD.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan,

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
It is a completely new SD.  There is no IP address to change because it's a new IP address.
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Wanderlei Huttel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan

Probably because if you add a new Storage, you will need to changer the IP address of this Storage in bacula-dir.conf.

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

OK, but how will Bacula know that the files/Volumes are now on a new SD?  The db is still pointing to the old SD.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan,

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
To be clear, we are not solving an existing problem.  My backups and restores are working.

We are discussing whether or not Bacula should know/notice that Volumes are now on another SD.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:21 PM, Dan Langille <[hidden email]> wrote:

It is a completely new SD.  There is no IP address to change because it's a new IP address.
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Wanderlei Huttel <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan

Probably because if you add a new Storage, you will need to changer the IP address of this Storage in bacula-dir.conf.

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

OK, but how will Bacula know that the files/Volumes are now on a new SD?  The db is still pointing to the old SD.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello Dan,

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

C M Reinehr
Dan,

Wouldn't this be a Copy Job?

CMR

On 12/08/2016 02:21 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

> It is a completely new SD.  There is no IP address to change because
> it's a new IP address.
> --
> Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>> On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:19 PM, Wanderlei Huttel
>>
>> Hello Dan
>>
>> Probably because if you add a new Storage, you will need to changer
>> the IP address of this Storage in bacula-dir.conf.
>>
>> Best Regards
>>
>> *Wanderlei Hüttel*
>> http://www.huttel.com.br <http://www.huttel.com.br/>

>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>>     OK, but how will Bacula know that the files/Volumes are now on a
>>     new SD?  The db is still pointing to the old SD.
>>
>>     --
>>     Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
>>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>

>>>     On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]
>>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Hello Dan,
>>>
>>>     From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and
>>>     it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage
>>>     in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine,
>>>     you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name
>>>     for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to
>>>     update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is
>>>     a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to
>>>     allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.
>>>
>>>     Best regards,
>>>     Kern

> Training and support from Colfax.
> Order your platform today.http://sdm.link/xeonphi

C M Reinehr
AMS Enterprises, LLC.
323 Bibb St (36104)
PO Box 20
Montgomery AL 36101-0020
334-269-4358 (Voice)
334-262-1706 (Fax)
----
Linux distribution Debian v8.5, "Jessie"
------
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain - and most fools do." --
Benjamin Franklin
--------

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Wanderlei Huttel
But if you will disable the old Storage, you can just edit the IP address and passwords of this old Storage and change to the information of new storage, in this case "IP address and password", of course you had to move manually the volumes to the new storage.

Bacula create new Storages by name. If you change the Storage name, probably bacula will create a a new row in Catalog, you can check this using this query: mysql -u bacula -p"password" -D bacula -e "select * from Storage";

This way if you had changed the address and password of this storage, bacula will know where the volumes are.

Best regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

[...]

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
Agreed.  It will know.  But logically, you have not *moved* the Volumes from one SD to another.  They are the same SD, according to Bacula.

In my case, the Volumes are indeed on a new SD, both logically and physically.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Dec 8, 2016, at 4:00 PM, Wanderlei Huttel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Dan Langille
CMR,

Yes, we could do a copy job, but that would take much longer than other methods.

In my case, the Volumes were moved via cp, but others could involve scp or, better
still, zfs send | zfs recv.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email]

On Dec 8, 2016, at 3:29 PM, C M Reinehr <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dan,

Wouldn't this be a Copy Job?

CMR

On 12/08/2016 02:21 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
It is a completely new SD.  There is no IP address to change because
it's a new IP address.
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

<[hidden email]>>:

   OK, but how will Bacula know that the files/Volumes are now on a
   new SD?  The db is still pointing to the old SD.

   --
   Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon
   [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

   On Dec 8, 2016, at 10:50 AM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]
   <[hidden email]>> wrote:

   Hello Dan,

   From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and
[...]

In this case, the only way is update Media record in Catalog using SQL.

Dan I read in your blog about bacula command "setip".
Do you have some example how to use this feature? More detailed? Or some tips?

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

[...]

From what users have reported, one must update the storageid, and it is clear to me that if you use the same name for the Storage in the Director's resource but it points to a different machine, you must update the storageid.  However, if you use a new name for the new storage daemon, in theory one should not need to update the storageid.  If it is required then in my view there is a problem, because Bacula *should* be relatively transparent to allowing you to move volumes from one Storage definition to another.

On 12/08/2016 03:47 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.

All new backups are going to the new SD.

I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.

I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.

I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Training and support from Colfax.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Martin Simmons
Yes, that's what I did and it was very easy.  Both storages have the same
Media Type.

__Martin

> I added another bacula-sd to my configuration.  It has more storage than the existing SD.  Both SD use file-based storage.
>
> All new backups are going to the new SD.
>
> I want to copy all the old Volumes to the new SD and have them available there.
>
> I suspect all I need to do is copy the Volumes over, then run an SQL command to adjust the storageid for all volumes which refer to old SD.
>
> I think some of you have already done this. I know I have: https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/ <https://dan.langille.org/2013/08/06/moving-bacula-volumes-from-one-storage-to-another/>
>
> --
> Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Martin Simmons
If a volume moves to a different location then it seems to me that changing
the StorageId is the logical thing to do.

IMHO, changing the Media Type of an existing volume is a timebomb waiting to
explode if you need to use bscan (because the existing label contains the old
media type).

__Martin

> OK, I understand all those points, and
> I can say that Bacula will not notice by itself that Volumes have
> moved, so you will need to help it by using Pools or Media Types,
> but it should not require digging into StorageIds, which I don't
> think is even in the main manual.  If it really *requires*
> changing the StorageId, then either I need to automate that or
> remove the dependency.
>
> Best regards,
> Kern

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Josh Fisher

On 12/9/2016 6:32 AM, Martin Simmons wrote:
> If a volume moves to a different location then it seems to me that changing
> the StorageId is the logical thing to do.

Has anyone tried simply moving them without changing the StorageId or
anything else? Devices are directly queried for their available volumes.
My guess is that volume location is decided from the queried
information, not from the db.

On 12/09/2016 12:32 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
> If a volume moves to a different location then it seems to me that changing
> the StorageId is the logical thing to do.
>
> IMHO, changing the Media Type of an existing volume is a timebomb waiting to
> explode if you need to use bscan (because the existing label contains the old
> media type).

The label contains the Media Type as you say, but it is never used (or I
should say checked).

Kern

> __Martin

>> OK, I understand all those points, and
>> I can say that Bacula will not notice by itself that Volumes have
>> moved, so you will need to help it by using Pools or Media Types,
>> but it should not require digging into StorageIds, which I don't
>> think is even in the main manual.  If it really *requires*
>> changing the StorageId, then either I need to automate that or
>> remove the dependency.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kern

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Sorry Josh, but Bacula never queries for available volumes (with the
exception of removable File media).  The information in the Media record
is used to know which device should be used in many cases.

On 12/9/2016 7:49 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Sorry Josh, but Bacula never queries for available volumes (with the
> exception of removable File media).  The information in the Media record
> is used to know which device should be used in many cases.

OK. What about tapes in autoloaders? I know it issues a LIST command to
the mtx-changer script. I had assumed it was to identify the available
tapes. Are you saying that if I have two SDs with identical autoloaders
and using the same MediaType, I still cannot simply move tapes between
the two autoloaders?

On 12/09/2016 03:51 PM, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 12/9/2016 7:49 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> Sorry Josh, but Bacula never queries for available volumes (with the
>> exception of removable File media).  The information in the Media record
>> is used to know which device should be used in many cases.
>
> OK. What about tapes in autoloaders? I know it issues a LIST command
> to the mtx-changer script. I had assumed it was to identify the
> available tapes. Are you saying that if I have two SDs with identical
> autoloaders and using the same MediaType, I still cannot simply move
> tapes between the two autoloaders?

I was assuming that we are talking about File devices,  For tapes, yes
Bacula does know how to update the Slot in the catalog when you do
update slots, which I believe uses the LIST command as you say.

>>> Has anyone tried simply moving them without changing the StorageId or
>>> anything else? Devices are directly queried for their available
>>> volumes.
>>> My guess is that volume location is decided from the queried
>>> information, not from the db.

Re: Moving volumes from one SD to another

Josip Deanovic
On Friday 2016-12-09 07:50:33 Kern Sibbald wrote:
[...]
> The storageid helps Bacula find the right storage device when it is not
> specified, but it *should* not be required.

This is valuable piece of information.

Next year (probably in next few months) I will setup a lab which will
help me to test opensource and commercial versions of bacula.
When it is ready I will be able to test cases such as this one without
too much effort.

--
Josip Deanovic

12