Need some advice with Mac OS X 10.8.5

Ralf Winkler
Dear all,

it has been a while since I worked with  Bacula.
My last installation was in 2007.

I installed Bacula on a RHEL 7.3 and it works fine.
Now I want to backup my Mac too, the OS version is 10.8.5.
I need to keep the old version because of some programs on my Mac.

I tried to install the FD with homebrew at first.
I copied the Director entries (included the password) from the running system and was able to start the FD.
At first I got a problem with the password, they did not match.
I changed the password to something simple and then I was able to connect and ask the client status from the bconsole.
But every time I start the backup job, I got the message that the password for the sd that was provided from the director did not match.

After I was not able to fix the problem, I uninstall the bacula-fd from homebrew.

Then I tried the same with fink, but this time the bacula-fd did not start, without any error message.
At least the port 9102 was not in use, I checked it with nmap.
The same happen with the version from Macport (I found the website from Dan describing his way).

So I went back to homebrew again.
I kept the old config file which worked before, but now I get a new problem.

I get this message "hello.c:103-0 Connection from unknown Director xxxxxxxx rejected".

Might it be related to some other messages that I got in the debug session before?

local-fd: plugins.c:142-0 Found plugin: name=bpipe-fd.so len=11
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbac-7.4.4.dylib len=18
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbac.dylib len=12
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbaccfg-7.4.4.dylib len=21
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbaccfg.dylib len=15
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbacfind-7.4.4.dylib len=22
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbacfind.dylib len=16

I suspect that the rejected plugins are the source of my problems are.
Also it might be reason why the password was not proper transfer at first.

Here is the bacula-fd.conf:

Director {
  Name = name-dir
#  Password = "old-complicated-pw"
  Password = "secret"
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the file daemon
#
Director {
  Name = kvm.ralfwinkler.com-mon
  Password = "another-complicated-pw"
  Monitor = no
}

#
# "Global" File daemon configuration specifications

FileDaemon {                          # this is me
  Name = my-name-fd
  FDport = 9102                  # where we listen for the director
  WorkingDirectory = /usr/local/var/lib/bacula
  Pid Directory = /usr/local/var/run
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20
  Plugin Directory = /usr/local/Cellar/bacula-fd/7.4.4_1/lib
}

I copied the configuration from the running system and only alter the File-Daemon name, and later the password for the director after it does not work.

And this is the client part in the director on the backup machine:

Client {
  Name = my-name-fd
  Address = iMac
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
#  Password = "old-complicated-pw"        # password for FileDaemon 2
  Password = "secret"        # password for FileDaemon 2
  File Retention = 60 days           # 60 days
  Job Retention = 6 months           # six months
  AutoPrune = yes                    # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

Is anyone here who had the same problems and found a solution?
Or anyone who can point out where the problem is?

TIA,

Ralf Winkler

Re: Need some advice with Mac OS X 10.8.5

Dan Langille

I used MacPorts on OSX.  https://dan.langille.org/2011/04/02/getting-bacula-running-on-my-macbook/
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: Need some advice with Mac OS X 10.8.5

Ralf Winkler
Hello,

I knew I forgot something.
I am using Bacula 7.4.4.

And @Dan, I tried MacPorts following your recipe, but could not get it working on my Mac.
The FD does not start, without any error message.

Best regards,
Ralf

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 12:47 AM, Dan Langille <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jan 25, 2017, at 3:48 PM, Ralf Winkler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Dear all,

it has been a while since I worked with  Bacula.
My last installation was in 2007.

I installed Bacula on a RHEL 7.3 and it works fine.
Now I want to backup my Mac too, the OS version is 10.8.5.
I need to keep the old version because of some programs on my Mac.

I tried to install the FD with homebrew at first.

I used MacPorts on OSX.  https://dan.langille.org/2011/04/02/getting-bacula-running-on-my-macbook/
--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: Need some advice with Mac OS X 10.8.5

Radosław Korzeniewski

[...]

It should be a standard "director name"/"password for a client" problem. In bacula-fd.conf you need to define a proper director name. Does your director has a name: name-dir?

Might it be related to some other messages that I got in the debug session before?

local-fd: plugins.c:142-0 Found plugin: name=bpipe-fd.so len=11
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbac-7.4.4.dylib len=18
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbac.dylib len=12
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbaccfg-7.4.4.dylib len=21
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbaccfg.dylib len=15
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbacfind-7.4.4.dylib len=22
local-fd: plugins.c:139-0 Rejected plugin: want=-fd.so name=libbacfind.dylib len=16

I suspect that the rejected plugins are the source of my problems are.

No it is not a problem.

Also it might be reason why the password was not proper transfer at first.

Here is the bacula-fd.conf:

Director {
  Name = name-dir

Does your director has a name: name-dir?

#  Password = "old-complicated-pw"
  Password = "secret"
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the file daemon
#
Director {
  Name = kvm.ralfwinkler.com-mon
  Password = "another-complicated-pw"
  Monitor = no
}

Well, you defined a second director for use by bacula-fd.conf. Do you have another one, or is it a main director in you setup?

#
[...]

Correct your configuration and match director name and password for a client.

Or anyone who can point out where the problem is?

As mentioned above. :)

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski

Re: Need some advice with Mac OS X 10.8.5

Josh Fisher

On 1/26/2017 6:49 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
Start it manually, probably a mkdir is missing.

Are there Mac binary packages anywhere? The MacPorts method seems more of a debugging session than an install, and homebrew is worse.

[...]

I checked three times that the names are correct.
And at the first time the configuration worked and there was only a problem with the password for bacula-sd.
But as I read, this password is only bypassed from the director to the client.
I guess the password was changed while it was passing the Mac.
For the second test I used the same configuration that worked before but I got the problem.

@Dan, I always start the client manually at first.
Start it with -f and -d100 to see what happen.
But there was happen nothing, no error message, no hint what went wrong.
I install the fd client while I was reading your recipe, it was the blueprint for my work.
Some messages changed, but yours was from 2012, mine just a few days before.
And I guess they read your blog too and fixed the problems you had.

I will try out something else and already create a workaround.
The filesystems get exported with NFS to the Bacula server and backed up "locally".

BR,
Ralf