New website on narrow browsers

Richard Mortimer
Hi Kern,

I'm been having trouble viewing the new website. I've tried with a few
browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE on Windows & Chrome on Linux) and all have
the same behaviour. I've seen you say that Firefox works so I'm
suspecting this is something that you don't know about.

Basically if the browser window is smaller than 1200 pixels or so the
main body of the page just doesn't display (I see an empty box) and it
is very difficult to work out what bits of the sidebars are where.

Some pages are worse than others but the following URLs are good
examples when you use a smaller browser size.

http://blog.bacula.org/category/kerns-blog/
http://www.bacula.org/general/supported-operating-systems/

Now I've worked out it is a window size issue I can use a larger window
to view the content but obviously that isn't a generally applicable
solution.

Other than that the site is looking nice.

Best Regards

Richard

P.S. Not sure if it is intentional but all of the page links on the site
seem to be to blog.bacula.org irrespective of whether you came to
www.bacula.org or blog.bacula.org

Re: New website on narrow browsers

Kern Sibbald
Hello Richard,

We have been working on this (especially making the site display on
mobile telephones), but have not found any problems.  It sounds like the
screen size issue is probably the key, and we will look into it.  Yes,
it is something that to this point I have not been able to reproduce
with either Firefox or Chrome, but now that I know about the 1200
pixels, we can probably reproduce it and fix it.  Thanks for digging
into it.

By the way, when I shrink the size of my browser window, everything
still displays, it is just stacked vertically.

Can you send me a screenshot of what you are actually seeing.  That
might help.

Yes, everything should now point to blog.bacula.org so that is correct.

On 04/01/2014 12:17 PM, Richard Mortimer wrote:

> Hi Kern,
>
> I'm been having trouble viewing the new website. I've tried with a few
> browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE on Windows & Chrome on Linux) and all
> have the same behaviour. I've seen you say that Firefox works so I'm
> suspecting this is something that you don't know about.
>
> Basically if the browser window is smaller than 1200 pixels or so the
> main body of the page just doesn't display (I see an empty box) and it
> is very difficult to work out what bits of the sidebars are where.
>
> Some pages are worse than others but the following URLs are good
> examples when you use a smaller browser size.
>
> http://blog.bacula.org/category/kerns-blog/
> http://www.bacula.org/general/supported-operating-systems/
>
> Now I've worked out it is a window size issue I can use a larger
> window to view the content but obviously that isn't a generally
> applicable solution.
>
> Other than that the site is looking nice.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Richard
>
> P.S. Not sure if it is intentional but all of the page links on the
> site seem to be to blog.bacula.org irrespective of whether you came to
> www.bacula.org or blog.bacula.org

Re: New website on narrow browsers

Martin Simmons
Ah, this explains most of what I'm seeing too.

The new site still has an annoying internal scrolling frame for long pages
though (e.g. Documentation->Manuals).

__Martin

On 04/02/2014 06:28 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
> Ah, this explains most of what I'm seeing too.
>
> The new site still has an annoying internal scrolling frame for long pages
> though (e.g. Documentation->Manuals).
It seems that the option we had was for long pages to be cutoff or to
have an internal scroll bar.  I'll ask about it.

> __Martin

>> Hello Richard,
>>
>> We have been working on this (especially making the site display on
>> mobile telephones), but have not found any problems.  It sounds like the
>> screen size issue is probably the key, and we will look into it.  Yes,
>> it is something that to this point I have not been able to reproduce
>> with either Firefox or Chrome, but now that I know about the 1200
>> pixels, we can probably reproduce it and fix it.  Thanks for digging
>> into it.
>>
>> By the way, when I shrink the size of my browser window, everything
>> still displays, it is just stacked vertically.
>>
>> Can you send me a screenshot of what you are actually seeing.  That
>> might help.
>>
>> Yes, everything should now point to blog.bacula.org so that is correct.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kern
>>
>> On 04/01/2014 12:17 PM, Richard Mortimer wrote:
>>> Hi Kern,
>>>
>>> I'm been having trouble viewing the new website. I've tried with a few
>>> browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE on Windows & Chrome on Linux) and all
>>> have the same behaviour. I've seen you say that Firefox works so I'm
>>> suspecting this is something that you don't know about.
>>>
>>> Basically if the browser window is smaller than 1200 pixels or so the
>>> main body of the page just doesn't display (I see an empty box) and it
>>> is very difficult to work out what bits of the sidebars are where.
>>>
>>> Some pages are worse than others but the following URLs are good
>>> examples when you use a smaller browser size.
>>>
>>> http://blog.bacula.org/category/kerns-blog/
>>> http://www.bacula.org/general/supported-operating-systems/
>>>
>>> Now I've worked out it is a window size issue I can use a larger
>>> window to view the content but obviously that isn't a generally
>>> applicable solution.
>>>
>>> Other than that the site is looking nice.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> P.S. Not sure if it is intentional but all of the page links on the
>>> site seem to be to blog.bacula.org irrespective of whether you came to
>>> www.bacula.org or blog.bacula.org

Re: New website on narrow browsers

Blake Dunlap-3
I haven't been able to view the pages on any computer or browser I have tried. I figured it was just broken and left it at that.

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 04/02/2014 06:28 PM, Martin Simmons wrote:
> Ah, this explains most of what I'm seeing too.
>
> The new site still has an annoying internal scrolling frame for long pages
> though (e.g. Documentation->Manuals).
It seems that the option we had was for long pages to be cutoff or to
have an internal scroll bar.  I'll ask about it.

> __Martin

>> Hello Richard,
>>
>> We have been working on this (especially making the site display on
>> mobile telephones), but have not found any problems.  It sounds like the
>> screen size issue is probably the key, and we will look into it.  Yes,
>> it is something that to this point I have not been able to reproduce
>> with either Firefox or Chrome, but now that I know about the 1200
>> pixels, we can probably reproduce it and fix it.  Thanks for digging
>> into it.
>>
>> By the way, when I shrink the size of my browser window, everything
>> still displays, it is just stacked vertically.
>>
>> Can you send me a screenshot of what you are actually seeing.  That
>> might help.
>>
>> Yes, everything should now point to blog.bacula.org so that is correct.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Kern
>>
>> On 04/01/2014 12:17 PM, Richard Mortimer wrote:
>>> Hi Kern,
>>>
>>> I'm been having trouble viewing the new website. I've tried with a few
>>> browsers (Firefox, Chrome, IE on Windows & Chrome on Linux) and all
>>> have the same behaviour. I've seen you say that Firefox works so I'm
>>> suspecting this is something that you don't know about.
>>>
>>> Basically if the browser window is smaller than 1200 pixels or so the
>>> main body of the page just doesn't display (I see an empty box) and it
>>> is very difficult to work out what bits of the sidebars are where.
>>>
>>> Some pages are worse than others but the following URLs are good
>>> examples when you use a smaller browser size.
>>>
>>> http://blog.bacula.org/category/kerns-blog/
>>> http://www.bacula.org/general/supported-operating-systems/
>>>
>>> Now I've worked out it is a window size issue I can use a larger
>>> window to view the content but obviously that isn't a generally
>>> applicable solution.
>>>
>>> Other than that the site is looking nice.
>>>
>>> Best Regards
>>>
>>> Richard
>>>
>>> P.S. Not sure if it is intentional but all of the page links on the
>>> site seem to be to blog.bacula.org irrespective of whether you came to
>>> www.bacula.org or blog.bacula.org

Re: New website on narrow browsers

Kern Sibbald
Sorry for the inconvenience.  We are working on fixing it ...