Paris

I am back from Paris where I gave my first Bacula presentation to a rather
distinguished group of people (3 French Ministers if I am not mistaken) who
were invited to an afternoon seminar presented by IDEALX, which is a company
that has its own software, but also attempts to match up OpenSource projects
with the government and large companies. They do it in a very positive way by
ensuring close cooperation with the OpenSource developers (e.g. Samba,
Nagios, ...) the use of GPL by the contributing institutions, and realistic
goals that are compatible with the Open Source project.

They invited me to speak, which I did for about 20 minutes. Hopefully this
will lead to some new Bacula power users, and perhaps some mutual projects.

The evening before, I invited two people to dinner -- David Barth, CTO of
IDEALX, and Eric Bollengier, who made a 2 hour train trip to be there!  It
was a very pleasant evening, and also very productive because at one point
Eric asked me why I didn't just put the Bacula Recue code on a disk and let
the users use their own rescue disks.  Although this is a solution, it didn't
please me, but it turned out to be a *super* idea, because it made me think a
bit farther.  I took Eric's idea, and have now been about to remaster SuSE,
Madrake (renamed something else now ...), RedHat, and Knoppix rescue disks,
and in the process adding the Bacula generated files.

So thanks to Eric, I now know how to take just about any existing LiveCD or
Rescue disk, open it up, add some Bacula files and generate a new iso.  This
gets me out of the bit pushing business of trying to create boot disks --
just let the distribution do it, and I can write some easy to use scripts
that will add all the nice stuff they leave out.

Of course, each distribution's CDROM layout is a bit different (Mandrake is
essentially a RedHat ...) so a small amount of knowledge is needed about each
iso, which I can obtain by just looking "inside" the iso.

What is even better is that this new technique can equally well be applied to
Mac OS X, Solaris, or FreeBSD rescue disks.  Of course, for those systems, my
"Linux" scripts that collect the system info will need to be adapted.

The only minor downside to this is that the Bacula directory will be on the
CDROM rather than in memory when the system is booted. This means that the
rescue disk must be able to find the CDROM -- most do, but I noticed that
SuSE (I think) doesn't bother to mount the CDROM.  I can provide helper
scripts in this case.  With a little more work, it is possible to redo the
initrd (or the secondary ram disk) to include the Bacula files, but I'm going
to pass on this for the moment.

Anyway, thanks Eric.

I'm now off to "finally" make myself a 2.6 kernel Bacula Rescue disk :-)

  (">
  /\
  V_V

Re: Paris

BOLLENGIER Eric
Hi,

> Eric asked me why I didn't just put the Bacula Recue code on a disk and let
> the users use their own rescue disks.  Although this is a solution, it
> didn't please me, but it turned out to be a *super* idea, because it made
> me think a bit farther.  I took Eric's idea, and have now been about to
> remaster SuSE, Madrake (renamed something else now ...), RedHat, and
> Knoppix rescue disks, and in the process adding the Bacula generated files.

Caution, Knopix live cd (for example) don't have LVM binary or sfdisk command
etc...

> So thanks to Eric, I now know how to take just about any existing LiveCD or
> Rescue disk, open it up, add some Bacula files and generate a new iso.
> This gets me out of the bit pushing business of trying to create boot disks
> -- just let the distribution do it, and I can write some easy to use
> scripts that will add all the nice stuff they leave out.

With a debian system, bootcdwrite, bacula-fd, and a big fat kernel
you can make an rescue system more easly than trying to
customise a Knopix CD.

eric@plume:/tmp$ apt-cache search bootcdwrite
bootcd - run your system from cd without need for disks

So, you have to collect system information (partition, lvm description
fs type, elabels, etc...) and backup /

To restore, you have to :
- boot
- setup network
- get system information
- setup disk lvm etc...
- restore data (with redirection to /mnt/ for example)
- setup grub or lilo
and reboot !

After that, you can restore what you want.

> Of course, each distribution's CDROM layout is a bit different (Mandrake is
> essentially a RedHat ...) so a small amount of knowledge is needed about
> each iso, which I can obtain by just looking "inside" the iso.
>
> What is even better is that this new technique can equally well be applied
> to Mac OS X, Solaris, or FreeBSD rescue disks.  Of course, for those
> systems, my "Linux" scripts that collect the system info will need to be
> adapted.
>
> The only minor downside to this is that the Bacula directory will be on the
> CDROM rather than in memory when the system is booted. This means that the
> rescue disk must be able to find the CDROM -- most do, but I noticed that
> SuSE (I think) doesn't bother to mount the CDROM.  I can provide helper
> scripts in this case.  With a little more work, it is possible to redo the
> initrd (or the secondary ram disk) to include the Bacula files, but I'm
> going to pass on this for the moment.
>
> Anyway, thanks Eric.

Thanks kern,

Regards

Re: Paris

Kern Sibbald
On Friday 13 May 2005 18:08, BOLLENGIER Eric wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Eric asked me why I didn't just put the Bacula Recue code on a disk and
> > let the users use their own rescue disks.  Although this is a solution,
> > it didn't please me, but it turned out to be a *super* idea, because it
> > made me think a bit farther.  I took Eric's idea, and have now been about
> > to remaster SuSE, Madrake (renamed something else now ...), RedHat, and
> > Knoppix rescue disks, and in the process adding the Bacula generated
> > files.
>
> Caution, Knopix live cd (for example) don't have LVM binary or sfdisk
> command etc...

Yes, I am not going to be recommending Knoppix because it is so full, and
perhaps, I'll copy a good number of tools just be be sure (as well as the
libraries they need).

Anyway, the user can decide what he uses -- my recommendation will be to stick
with the rescue disk furnished with the distribution and release you are
using.

I've now verified that the technique works, now it is just a matter of 2 or 3
days of script programming ... :-)

> > So thanks to Eric, I now know how to take just about any existing LiveCD
> > or Rescue disk, open it up, add some Bacula files and generate a new iso.
> > This gets me out of the bit pushing business of trying to create boot
> > disks -- just let the distribution do it, and I can write some easy to
> > use scripts that will add all the nice stuff they leave out.
>
> With a debian system, bootcdwrite, bacula-fd, and a big fat kernel
> you can make an rescue system more easly than trying to
> customise a Knopix CD.
>
> eric@plume:/tmp$ apt-cache search bootcdwrite
> bootcd - run your system from cd without need for disks
>
> So, you have to collect system information (partition, lvm description
> fs type, elabels, etc...) and backup /
>
> To restore, you have to :
> - boot
> - setup network
> - get system information
> - setup disk lvm etc...
> - restore data (with redirection to /mnt/ for example)
> - setup grub or lilo
> and reboot !
>
> After that, you can restore what you want.
>
> > Of course, each distribution's CDROM layout is a bit different (Mandrake
> > is essentially a RedHat ...) so a small amount of knowledge is needed
> > about each iso, which I can obtain by just looking "inside" the iso.
> >
> > What is even better is that this new technique can equally well be
> > applied to Mac OS X, Solaris, or FreeBSD rescue disks.  Of course, for
> > those systems, my "Linux" scripts that collect the system info will need
> > to be adapted.
> >
> > The only minor downside to this is that the Bacula directory will be on
> > the CDROM rather than in memory when the system is booted. This means
> > that the rescue disk must be able to find the CDROM -- most do, but I
> > noticed that SuSE (I think) doesn't bother to mount the CDROM.  I can
> > provide helper scripts in this case.  With a little more work, it is
> > possible to redo the initrd (or the secondary ram disk) to include the
> > Bacula files, but I'm going to pass on this for the moment.
> >
> > Anyway, thanks Eric.
>
> Thanks kern,
>
> Regards

  (">