Problem with recycled volume.

yann lapeyre
Hi,

    We use bacula, and volume recycle functionnality is set to be
automaticaly managed by bacula.
Now bacula is asking to mount a tape wich was previously recycle.

+---------+------------+-----------+----------------+----------+--------------+-
--------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
| MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | VolBytes       | VolFiles |
VolRetention |
Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType | LastWritten                |
+---------+------------+-----------+----------------+----------+--------------+-
|          13 |      Tape_6     | Recycle    |                   1 |
        0 |     2,592,000 |
          1 |    0 |               0 |  DLT8000   | 2005-04-01 18:18:58 |

But when I try to mount this tape, I have in result the following error
message :
"Warning: Requested Volume "Tape_6" on /dev/tape is not a Bacula labeled
Volume, because: ERR=bloc k.c:793 Read zero bytes at 0:0 on device
/dev/tape."

Please could somebody to help me to unserstand this problem ?

Thanks in advance,

Yann

Re: Problem with recycled volume.

Arno Lehmann

yann lapeyre wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    We use bacula, and volume recycle functionnality is set to be
> automaticaly managed by bacula.
> Now bacula is asking to mount a tape wich was previously recycle.
>
> +---------+------------+-----------+----------------+----------+--------------+-
>
> --------+------+-----------+-----------+---------------------+
> | MediaId | VolumeName | VolStatus | VolBytes       | VolFiles |
> VolRetention |
> Recycle | Slot | InChanger | MediaType | LastWritten                |
> +---------+------------+-----------+----------------+----------+--------------+-
>
> |          13 |      Tape_6     | Recycle    |                   1 |
>        0 |     2,592,000 |
>          1 |    0 |               0 |  DLT8000   | 2005-04-01 18:18:58 |
>
> But when I try to mount this tape, I have in result the following error
> message :
> "Warning: Requested Volume "Tape_6" on /dev/tape is not a Bacula labeled
> Volume, because: ERR=bloc k.c:793 Read zero bytes at 0:0 on device
> /dev/tape."
>
> Please could somebody to help me to unserstand this problem ?

This seems to indicate a problem with that tape or the tape drive.

Personally, I encoutered these problems only when either the tape was
damaged (sometimes I can recover "initializing", formatting or however
your tape drive calls that procedure the tape or simply dd'ing lots of
random data onto the tape), the tape drive was broken (you recover by
getting a new one :-), or, most probably, the block sizes on tape and
expected by bacula don't fit.

I suggest you do the following:
- unmount /release the tape drive.
- unload the tape
- load the tape again
- wait for the drive to settle
- use mt to verify he tape and drive status. Block size should be set to 0.
- if this is ok, use btape. Read further below...
- if this is not ok, (and I assume the tape is recycled, you will lose
data otherwise!) try using mt's erase command or try using something
like 'dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/tape bs=16k' to get the tape workig
again. Afterwards, you can use btape to label the tape with the same
volume name as before, or use the label command from the console to
assign a new name to it.
- In case you remember taht you tried using fixed block sizes during
setup of bacula (I did...) you have to prepare the tapes with wrong
block-sizes before they can be used automatically again. Either simply
label them as you would with new tapes, or do a 'mt weof; btape <and
label with their previous name>' with them.

- I btape fails, you should check some other tapes, fo example using
btapes readlabel command. In that case, you can assume the tape to be
damaged. Throw it away (possibly after physically destroying the tape
for security reasons).

If you find other tapes can't be read, too, you should verify your
configuration and, of course, your tape drive are ok.

> Thanks in advance,

Hope you can solve your problems,

Arno

> Yann

IT-Service Lehmann                    [hidden email]
Arno Lehmann                  http://www.its-lehmann.de