Proper way to install bacula-fd to a FreeBSD?

Proper way to install bacula-fd to a FreeBSD?

Jari Fredriksson

Hello all!

I'm a Linux veteran but now having one FreeBSD instance too.

What is the proper way to install an bacula-fd into this. # pkg install bacula-fd or bacula-client did not work.

The instance is OPNsense firewall, but it is afaik a full working FreeBSD+. It actually has cc too, which is not quite comforting for a firewall, but as it is so, I'll live with it. Anyway, I would prefer precompiled Bacula-fd.

-- [hidden email]

Re: Proper way to install bacula-fd to a FreeBSD?

Jari Fredriksson

Please keep and stay on list!

It just tells me that the package can not be found. If the command is correct then it must be distro specific limitation and I need to figure out what next.

Thanks!

br. jarif

Mark Radabaugh kirjoitti 24.6.2017 21:33:

What you tried seems correct for FreeBSD.  What errors did you get?

Mark Radabaugh
Amplex
22690 Pemberville Rd
Luckey, OH 43447
419-261-5996

On Jun 24, 2017, at 7:19 AM, Jari Fredriksson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello all!

I'm a Linux veteran but now having one FreeBSD instance too.

What is the proper way to install an bacula-fd into this. # pkg install bacula-fd or bacula-client did not work.

The instance is OPNsense firewall, but it is afaik a full working FreeBSD+. It actually has cc too, which is not quite comforting for a firewall, but as it is so, I'll live with it. Anyway, I would prefer precompiled Bacula-fd.

-- [hidden email]

Re: Proper way to install bacula-fd to a FreeBSD?

Mark Radabaugh
try  ‘pkg search bacula’  and see if what shows up.   Typical would be something like this:

root@bugzilla:~ # pkg search bacula

bacula-bat-7.4.7               Network backup solution (GUI)
bacula-client-7.4.7            Network backup solution (client)
bacula-client-static-7.4.7     Network backup solution (static client)
bacula-docs-7.4.4              Bacula document set
bacula-server-7.4.7            Network backup solution (server)
bacula-web-7.2.0               Bacula-web provides a summarized output of Bacula jobs
bacula5-bat-5.2.12_6           Network backup solution (GUI)
bacula5-client-5.2.12_2        Network backup solution (client)
bacula5-client-static-5.2.12_2 Network backup solution (static client)
bacula5-docs-5.2.12            Bacula document set
bacula5-server-5.2.12_2        Network backup solution (server)
nagios-check_bacula-7.4.7_3    Nagios plugin for Bacula
nagios-check_bacula5-5.2.12_2  Nagios plugin for Bacula
root@bugzilla:~ #

This is a FreeBSD box, not OPNsense - I have not used OPNsence.

pkg install bacula-client-7.4.7

might be what you want.

Mark

On Jun 24, 2017, at 3:44 PM, Jari Fredriksson <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It’s possible that the pkg system is not installed.  Documentation on the pkg system is  here: pkgng-intro.html

Mark

On Jun 24, 2017, at 4:40 PM, Jari Fredriksson <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks, pkg search bacula indeed returns nothing.

It is not available on OPNsense. I'll write to their forum a complaint, as they say that pkg remove opnsense will get me a plain FreeBSD. Does not seem so.

br. jarif

Mark Radabaugh kirjoitti 24.6.2017 22:59:

[...]

Ian Douglas
On Saturday 24 June 2017 14:19:13 Jari Fredriksson wrote:

> I'm a Linux veteran but now having one FreeBSD instance too.
>
> What is the proper way to install an bacula-fd into this. # pkg install
> bacula-fd or bacula-client did not work.

FWIW when I was in a similar situation trying to get bacula-fd to work on
FreeNas (also BSD-based) I was recommended to mount the drive I wanted to
backup locally, and simply run bacula-fd on the Linux box.

It works. (at the expense of extra network traffic)

My issue was more to do with version mismatches than getting it to work but I
guess same solution could apply.

Cheers, Ian
--
[hidden email] http://www.zti.co.za