Q: Rename a client in the DB

Robert Wirth
Hi!

Maybe this is no new question, but I didn't find anything about it
in the archives.

Q: Is it possible to rename a client in the Bacula-DB?

The case is:  here, client names correspond to host names.  Now, a host
name has to be changed, so it's client name would also change.  Then it
would be a new client for Bacula, and Bacula would upgrade the next
incremental backup to a full backup, what is completely needless
(and bad because of 4 TB data stored there).

Of course, I could keep the client name regardless of what's going on
with the host name.  But then I would break the naming convention.
And that's bad in an environment of about 100 Bacula clients...

A better solution would be to rename all entries in the DB from
"oldclient-fd" to "newclient-fd".  The next incremental of "newclient-fd"
would just be an appendix to existing data.

Best regards,

        Robert

++    German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence    ++
Dipl.Inf. Robert Wirth,Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,66123 Saarbruecken
@office: +49-681-302-5078, or -5572 +++ @fax: +49-681-302-5020
mailto:[hidden email] ++++++++ http://www.dfki.de/~wirth
- Firmensitz Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern

Geschaeftsfuehrung (executive board):
- Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
- Dr. Walter Olthoff

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats (supervisory board chairman):
- Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes

Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Re: Q: Rename a client in the DB

Arno Lehmann
Hi,

16.05.2008 10:17, Robert Wirth wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Maybe this is no new question, but I didn't find anything about it
> in the archives.
>
> Q: Is it possible to rename a client in the Bacula-DB?

Yes, that's possible. If you know a bit about SQL and understand the
database layout, this is simple.

Even if you feel safe with these  items I recommend doing a catalog
dump before you change the name, and try a job from the renamed client
immediately.

> The case is:  here, client names correspond to host names.  Now, a host
> name has to be changed, so it's client name would also change.  Then it
> would be a new client for Bacula, and Bacula would upgrade the next
> incremental backup to a full backup, what is completely needless
> (and bad because of 4 TB data stored there).
>
> Of course, I could keep the client name regardless of what's going on
> with the host name.  But then I would break the naming convention.
> And that's bad in an environment of about 100 Bacula clients...

Yes.

> A better solution would be to rename all entries in the DB from
> "oldclient-fd" to "newclient-fd".  The next incremental of "newclient-fd"
> would just be an appendix to existing data.

Remember that you have to change the configuration accordingly...

Arno

> Best regards,
>
> Robert

> ++    German Research Center for Artificial Intelligence    ++
> Dipl.Inf. Robert Wirth,Stuhlsatzenhausweg 3,66123 Saarbruecken
> @office: +49-681-302-5078, or -5572 +++ @fax: +49-681-302-5020
> mailto:[hidden email] ++++++++ http://www.dfki.de/~wirth
> Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Kuenstliche Intelligenz GmbH
> - Firmensitz Trippstadter Strasse 122, D-67663 Kaiserslautern
>
> Geschaeftsfuehrung (executive board):
> - Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
> - Dr. Walter Olthoff
>
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats (supervisory board chairman):
> - Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
>
> Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann