Quantcast

Recommended OS for VM?

Davin Church-2
My current home Bacula system is so terribly ancient that I've just
got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for
Windows.  So it looks like my best bet to is to create a VirtualBox
VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and install
the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.

However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and
none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to
use.  I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS and
the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited
technical skills.  It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone to
having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to
time.  I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that should
simplify things a bit.  I presume that MySQL would still be a good DB
choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?

So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?

Davin

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

C M Reinehr
DistroWatch.com has the most comprehensive list of Linux distro's that
I'm aware of. And, according to their home page, Mint is the most
popular of the distros & the most beginner friendly. I've never
personally used Mint but from what I understand it is pretty user
friendly. The second most popular distribution is Debian, which is what
I use, but definitely is less user friendly than Mint.

MySQL would be a good choice for your database.

Hope this helps!

cmr

On 05/16/2017 03:16 PM, Davin Church wrote:

> My current home Bacula system is so terribly ancient that I've just
> got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for
> Windows.  So it looks like my best bet to is to create a VirtualBox
> VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and install
> the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.
>
> However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and
> none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to
> use.  I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS and
> the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited
> technical skills.  It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone to
> having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to
> time.  I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that should
> simplify things a bit.  I presume that MySQL would still be a good DB
> choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?
>
> So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?
>
> Davin

C M Reinehr
AMS Enterprises, LLC.
----
Linux distribution Debian v8.5, "Jessie"
------
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last
resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas
Jefferson
--------

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

Davin Church-2
Thanks - I may give Mint a try and see how it looks.  Which Bacula installer would I use for Mint?  I don't recall seeing a build named for that (but I may not have been looking in the right place).

I've certainly heard of many of the distros by name but I don't know enough to choose between them just based on name.  OTOH, I am familiar with using a command-line interface (and even know a handful of typical commands), so it's not necessary to be completely GUI-driven, for instance.  I can figure out how to use commands if I have reasonable instructions to follow.

Davin

At 03:51 PM 5/16/2017, C M Reinehr wrote:
DistroWatch.com has the most comprehensive list of Linux distro's that
I'm aware of. And, according to their home page, Mint is the most
popular of the distros & the most beginner friendly. I've never
personally used Mint but from what I understand it is pretty user
friendly. The second most popular distribution is Debian, which is what
I use, but definitely is less user friendly than Mint.

MySQL would be a good choice for your database.

Hope this helps!

cmr

On 05/16/2017 03:16 PM, Davin Church wrote:
> My current home Bacula system is so terribly ancient that I've just
> got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for
> Windows.  So it looks like my best bet to is to create a VirtualBox
> VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and install
> the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.
>
> However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and
> none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to
> use.  I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS and
> the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited
> technical skills.  It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone to
> having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to
> time.  I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that should
> simplify things a bit.  I presume that MySQL would still be a good DB
> choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?
>
> So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?
>
> Davin

C M Reinehr
AMS Enterprises, LLC.
----
Linux distribution Debian v8.5, "Jessie"
------
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason
for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last
resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas
Jefferson
--------

Davin

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

Dan Langille
> On May 16, 2017, at 4:16 PM, Davin Church <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?

I recommend FreeBSD on DigitalOcean, and use PostgreSQL.

Like everyone's recommendations, I'm biased. :)

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

The current OS on which Bacula is implemented, built and tested is
Ubuntu 16.04.  Mint is essentially the same thing with a slightly
different user interface. All distros are good and each has its
advantages and disadvantages ...

On 05/16/2017 10:16 PM, Davin Church wrote:

> My current home Bacula system is so terribly ancient that I've just
> got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for
> Windows.  So it looks like my best bet to is to create a VirtualBox
> VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and install
> the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.
>
> However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and
> none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to
> use.  I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS and
> the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited
> technical skills.  It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone to
> having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to
> time.  I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that should
> simplify things a bit.  I presume that MySQL would still be a good DB
> choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?
>
> So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?
>
> Davin

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

Matthias Koch-Schirrmeister
I've been running 7.0.5 with MySQL on OpenBSD 5.8, and currently 7.4.2
with PostgreSQL on OpenBSD 6.0. My clients are both Windows (V 5.x) and
Linux machines.

I am currently migrating my core services to OpenBSD because right now
it appears that Linux is going to be systemd as a secondary OS running
under a Linux kernel.

Matthias

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

Josh Fisher
I would add that since this is for a VM dedicated to running Bacula
daemons, nearly all of the distros have a minimal install ISO image.
Few, if any, of the bells and whistles installed with a full install are
in any way useful to the Bacula daemons.

On 5/18/2017 2:22 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> The current OS on which Bacula is implemented, built and tested is
> Ubuntu 16.04.  Mint is essentially the same thing with a slightly
> different user interface. All distros are good and each has its
> advantages and disadvantages ...
>
> Best regards,
>
> Kern
>

> On 05/16/2017 10:16 PM, Davin Church wrote:
>> My current home Bacula system is so terribly ancient that I've just
>> got to get rid of it, but no pre-compiled updates are available for
>> Windows.  So it looks like my best bet to is to create a VirtualBox
>> VM (on my Win8.1 host) and load some flavor of *nix on it and install
>> the appropriate binaries and run the system from there.
>>
>> However, since I'm barely conversant with *nix OSes in general (and
>> none specifically), I'd like a recommendation on which (free) OS to
>> use.  I'd like it to be easy to acquire and set up both the OS and
>> the latest community Bacula binaries so it doesn't strain my limited
>> technical skills.  It would also be best if that OS wasn't prone to
>> having compatibility issues that I see mentioned from time to
>> time.  I'll be backing up to disk rather than tape, so that should
>> simplify things a bit.  I presume that MySQL would still be a good DB
>> choice to use in whichever OS I end up with?
>>
>> So has anyone got a recommendation (and perhaps some download links) for me?
>>
>> Davin

Re: Recommended OS for VM?

compdoc
On 5/18/2017 2:22 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> The current OS on which Bacula is implemented, built and tested is
> Ubuntu 16.04.

I use Ubuntu Server, and then a minimal install of the Mate desktop with
X2go to allow remote desktop connections. No unneeded services like
bluetooth or packages like LibreOffice to slow things down or needing
large downloads to keep things updated.

There are packages for bacula, but Ive been compiling it myself for a
while. But this means I dont always have the latest version...