Remote Director

James Chamberlain
Hi Bacula Users,

Does anyone have experience setting up Storage Daemons at different
sites from the Director?  I'm thinking that it would be really nice to
have a central console where I can see and control the backups of
other sites, but I don't have the bandwidth to send all the data to
the central location.  If I have a backup device and Storage Daemon
local to the clients I want to back up, I think their FDs will send
the data straight to their local SD, with the traffic to the Director
being minimal by comparison.  As near as I can tell from the diagram
at the end of the following page, what I want to do should be possible:

http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/What_is_Bacula.html

I'm curious for other people's experiences with this sort of setup -
how much trouble was it, how much bandwidth does the SD actually use
to talk with the Director, what gotchas did you run into, are there
any security or permissions issues to keep in mind, etc.  It would be
nice if I could give someone at each site the ability to restore their
own site's files, but not files from other sites.

Thanks,

James

Re: Remote Director

Radek Hladik-3
James Chamberlain napsal(a):

> Hi Bacula Users,
>
> Does anyone have experience setting up Storage Daemons at different
> sites from the Director?  I'm thinking that it would be really nice to
> have a central console where I can see and control the backups of
> other sites, but I don't have the bandwidth to send all the data to
> the central location.  If I have a backup device and Storage Daemon
> local to the clients I want to back up, I think their FDs will send
> the data straight to their local SD, with the traffic to the Director
> being minimal by comparison.  As near as I can tell from the diagram
> at the end of the following page, what I want to do should be possible:
>
> http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/What_is_Bacula.html
>
> I'm curious for other people's experiences with this sort of setup -
> how much trouble was it, how much bandwidth does the SD actually use
> to talk with the Director, what gotchas did you run into, are there
> any security or permissions issues to keep in mind, etc.  It would be
> nice if I could give someone at each site the ability to restore their
> own site's files, but not files from other sites.
>
> Thanks,
>
> James

Hi James,
        I do not think that the setup you mentioned is something unusual. The
director only contacts FD and SD and these two communicate directly. You
should read the documentation for firewall configuration
http://www.bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Dealing_with_Firewalls.html .
I am not sure about the bandwidth requirements. As the data itself pass
straight from FD to SD, there must be some communication to the Director
to store the metadata in to the catalog. And of course the catalog
backups will go from director to SD.

Radek

Re: Remote Director

James Harper
> Hi Bacula Users,
>
> Does anyone have experience setting up Storage Daemons at different
> sites from the Director?  I'm thinking that it would be really nice to
> have a central console where I can see and control the backups of
> other sites, but I don't have the bandwidth to send all the data to
> the central location.  If I have a backup device and Storage Daemon
> local to the clients I want to back up, I think their FDs will send
> the data straight to their local SD, with the traffic to the Director
> being minimal by comparison.  As near as I can tell from the diagram
> at the end of the following page, what I want to do should be
possible:

It's certainly possible, and I have done it before, but due to bandwidth
requirements between the SD/FD and the director I just created another
director at the remote site instead.

The problem was that the attribute bandwidth requirements were too high
and congested the link (link bandwidth was only 512kbps). Attributes go
from the SD/FD (I forget which - SD I think) to the catalogue, via the
director, so even having the catalogue at the remote site wouldn't help.
The link was also not entirely reliable at the time, so I would get the
occasional backup failing because of a comms error.

So I now run a director at each site. It's slightly less convenient but
at least it works.

James