Rescue CD + multiple hosts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rescue CD + multiple hosts

Yann Cézard
Hi list !

I have some questions concerning the creation of the boot CD for bacula
in case of
multiple hosts. If I have correctly looked at the created iso, in fact
only the machine
on which the iso has been created will have its kernel and binaries on
CD, right ?
It is OK when all the backuped machines share the same
kernel/configuration (so
which have quite the same hardware) but it should be wrong when having
differents
machine types (like somes using specific RAID drivers, something like
that I mean).
Am I still right at this point ?

Isn't there a way to have a boot CD allowing to choose between different
kernels
(one per machine) at boot time, like almost every distros installation
CD (which offers
differents flavors, a rescue mode...) ?

Does someone has already done some work on this ?

I think that such a feature would be a good idea, perhaps something to
look at when
the 2.6 kernels booting from CD problem has been resolved ;)

Cheers,

Yann


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rescue CD + multiple hosts

Yann Cézard
Great for the 2.6 kernel !
I looked at the ML archive this afternoon and only seen that
it was not working, I might have missing an announce for that.
For the rest, I will first test if I really need differents kernels for
differents machines !

Just one more question : Can I use the cvs version of the rescue CD tools
only on the machine on which I create the ISO, and keeping 1.36.3  stable
versions on the other ones (from which I only copy "roottree") ?
I don't really like having cvs versions of software on my servers as it
is not really easy to keep up to date... :)

Thanks a lot for all your job !

Yann

Kern Sibbald a écrit :

>On Friday 27 May 2005 17:14, Yann Cézard wrote:
>  
>
>>Hi list !
>>
>>I have some questions concerning the creation of the boot CD for bacula
>>in case of
>>multiple hosts. If I have correctly looked at the created iso, in fact
>>only the machine
>>on which the iso has been created will have its kernel and binaries on
>>CD, right ?
>>    
>>
>
>Yes.  However, the disk can boot on any machine with the same basic
>architecture.
>
>  
>
>>It is OK when all the backuped machines share the same
>>kernel/configuration (so
>>which have quite the same hardware) but it should be wrong when having
>>differents
>>machine types (like somes using specific RAID drivers, something like
>>that I mean).
>>Am I still right at this point ?
>>    
>>
>
>The disk captures the state of a single system.  However, what is important in
>the caputured state when recoverying after booting is the
>bacula-<machine-name> directory.
>
>I run the rescue make on all my machines, then transfer each of the bacula-xxx
>directories to a single disk (as documented in the manual if I am not
>mistaken), and then I have a boot disk that can recover all my machines.  The
>machine on which it was made has the bacula-xxx directory in memory. If you
>want to recover a different machine, you will need to copy the appropriate
>directory into memory to recover -- or run it directly from the CDROM.
>
>  
>
>>Isn't there a way to have a boot CD allowing to choose between different
>>kernels
>>(one per machine) at boot time, like almost every distros installation
>>CD (which offers
>>differents flavors, a rescue mode...) ?
>>    
>>
>
>If you have multiple kernels loaded on a given machine, the disk will use the
>one that is running. You can override it by setting the KERNEL variable in
>the makekernel file.
>
>If you want different kerenels for each machine, either you need to
>significantly increase the complexity of the scripts (pretty simple at the
>moment), or much simpler, you simply make a separate boot disk for each
>machine.
>
>  
>
>>Does someone has already done some work on this ?
>>
>>I think that such a feature would be a good idea, perhaps something to
>>look at when
>>the 2.6 kernels booting from CD problem has been resolved ;)
>>    
>>
>
>The 2.6 kernel boot from CD has been resolved for several weeks.  It is in the
>rescue project or module of the Bacula CVS -- it is no longer in the Bacula
>source tree, but in its own tree.  The new stuff is not yet documented ...
>
>  
>
>>Cheers,
>>
>>Yann
>>
>>
>>-------------------------------------------------------
>>This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
>>Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
>>Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
>>Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
>>_______________________________________________
>>Bacula-users mailing list
>>[hidden email]
>>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
>>    
>>
>
>  
>



-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rescue CD + multiple hosts

Kern Sibbald-2
On Friday 27 May 2005 18:42, Yann Cézard wrote:
> Great for the 2.6 kernel !
> I looked at the ML archive this afternoon and only seen that
> it was not working, I might have missing an announce for that.

I probably mentioned it in passing on the devel list.

> For the rest, I will first test if I really need differents kernels for
> differents machines !
>
> Just one more question : Can I use the cvs version of the rescue CD tools
> only on the machine on which I create the ISO, and keeping 1.36.3  stable
> versions on the other ones (from which I only copy "roottree") ?

The Bacula rescue disk is now separate from the source code, so you can mix
and match versions.  If you are using 1.36.3 and you have a 2.4 kernel, you
can use the rescue code in the source of 1.36.3.  

If you have a 2.6 kernel, you must download the new CVS code.  It is in a
totally separate directory tree, and it just needs to know where the Bacula
source is, but doesn't care what version the Bacula source tree is.

> I don't really like having cvs versions of software on my servers as it
> is not really easy to keep up to date... :)

If you have 2.6 kernels and you want to build the Bacula rescue disk, you
don't have much choice.

Keeping it up to date is far easier with CVS once you have done the checkout.  
Thereafter, you:
   
  cd rescue
  cvs update

and you are up to dat.

>
> Thanks a lot for all your job !
>
> Yann
>
> Kern Sibbald a écrit :
> >On Friday 27 May 2005 17:14, Yann Cézard wrote:
> >>Hi list !
> >>
> >>I have some questions concerning the creation of the boot CD for bacula
> >>in case of
> >>multiple hosts. If I have correctly looked at the created iso, in fact
> >>only the machine
> >>on which the iso has been created will have its kernel and binaries on
> >>CD, right ?
> >
> >Yes.  However, the disk can boot on any machine with the same basic
> >architecture.
> >
> >>It is OK when all the backuped machines share the same
> >>kernel/configuration (so
> >>which have quite the same hardware) but it should be wrong when having
> >>differents
> >>machine types (like somes using specific RAID drivers, something like
> >>that I mean).
> >>Am I still right at this point ?
> >
> >The disk captures the state of a single system.  However, what is
> > important in the caputured state when recoverying after booting is the
> >bacula-<machine-name> directory.
> >
> >I run the rescue make on all my machines, then transfer each of the
> > bacula-xxx directories to a single disk (as documented in the manual if I
> > am not mistaken), and then I have a boot disk that can recover all my
> > machines.  The machine on which it was made has the bacula-xxx directory
> > in memory. If you want to recover a different machine, you will need to
> > copy the appropriate directory into memory to recover -- or run it
> > directly from the CDROM.
> >
> >>Isn't there a way to have a boot CD allowing to choose between different
> >>kernels
> >>(one per machine) at boot time, like almost every distros installation
> >>CD (which offers
> >>differents flavors, a rescue mode...) ?
> >
> >If you have multiple kernels loaded on a given machine, the disk will use
> > the one that is running. You can override it by setting the KERNEL
> > variable in the makekernel file.
> >
> >If you want different kerenels for each machine, either you need to
> >significantly increase the complexity of the scripts (pretty simple at the
> >moment), or much simpler, you simply make a separate boot disk for each
> >machine.
> >
> >>Does someone has already done some work on this ?
> >>
> >>I think that such a feature would be a good idea, perhaps something to
> >>look at when
> >>the 2.6 kernels booting from CD problem has been resolved ;)
> >
> >The 2.6 kernel boot from CD has been resolved for several weeks.  It is in
> > the rescue project or module of the Bacula CVS -- it is no longer in the
> > Bacula source tree, but in its own tree.  The new stuff is not yet
> > documented ...
> >
> >>Cheers,
> >>
> >>Yann
> >>
> >>
> >>-------------------------------------------------------
> >>This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
> >>Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
> >>Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
> >>Applications - visit
> >> http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
> >> _______________________________________________
> >>Bacula-users mailing list
> >>[hidden email]
> >>https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
>
> -------------------------------------------------------
> This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
> Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
> Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
> Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
> _______________________________________________
> Bacula-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

--
Best regards,

Kern

  (">
  /\
  V_V


-------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by Yahoo.
Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users