Retention period - last written date, and time?

Retention period - last written date, and time?

Gi Dot
Hello,

I have always calculated my volume retention period based on its last written date, and time. This means when I want to plan for a new configuration, I will consider how long it takes for the backup to complete - say if it takes 2 hours to complete and I need a retention period of 1 day, I will minus the 2 hours so it'll become 22h, though normally I'll minus a couple of more hours just to be safe.

From the manual:
Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Recycle and the InChanger flag is set true (if there is more than one, the Volume with the oldest date last written is chosen. If two have the same date then the one with the lowest MediaId is chosen).

Does the time count? Or bacula just look at the date and count it from 0000 hours?

Thanks.

Re: Retention period - last written date, and time?

Dan Langille
On Dec 29, 2016, at 2:10 AM, Gi Dot <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello,

I have always calculated my volume retention period based on its last written date, and time. This means when I want to plan for a new configuration, I will consider how long it takes for the backup to complete - say if it takes 2 hours to complete and I need a retention period of 1 day, I will minus the 2 hours so it'll become 22h, though normally I'll minus a couple of more hours just to be safe.

From the manual:
Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Recycle and the InChanger flag is set true (if there is more than one, the Volume with the oldest date last written is chosen. If two have the same date then the one with the lowest MediaId is chosen).

Does the time count? Or bacula just look at the date and count it from 0000 hours?

What about using the volume just for one backup?  This solves your issue I think.

     Use Volume Once = yes

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan / PGCon

Re: Retention period - last written date, and time?

Radosław Korzeniewski

I have always calculated my volume retention period based on its last written date, and time. This means when I want to plan for a new configuration, I will consider how long it takes for the backup to complete - say if it takes 2 hours to complete and I need a retention period of 1 day, I will minus the 2 hours so it'll become 22h, though normally I'll minus a couple of more hours just to be safe.

>From the manual:
Search the Pool for a Volume with VolStatus=Recycle and the InChanger flag is set true (if there is more than one, the Volume with the oldest date last written is chosen. If two have the same date then the one with the lowest MediaId is chosen).

Does the time count? Or bacula just look at the date and count it from 0000 hours?

Yes it does bu you should read documentation about recycling. When Bacula cannot find a backup ready volume (volstatus = Append or Recycle/Purge) then it perform a recycle procedure.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski