SCSI Errors in LTO External Drive

francisco javier funes nieto
Hi All,

Bacula Server 7.4.4 in FreeBSD 10.3 with SCSI 29320ALP and LTO 3 External SCSI Drive ...

Doing a btape fill, same thing with btape test, in dmesg:

(sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2 (SCSI bus reset occurred)
(sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): Retrying command (per sense data)
(sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM command to clear this state.

I don't know what's the error means but I think it's a Cable or Unit error.

Someone  see this error before ? Any suggestion to debug the error ? Discard the cable or unit ?

I've another Ultrium unit but this is internal and the server has not place inside to put the LTO SAS Drive.

J.

Francisco Javier Funes Nieto [[hidden email]]
CANONIGOS
Servicios Informáticos para PYMES.
Cl. Cruz 2, 1º Oficina 7
Tlf: 958.536759 / 661134556
Fax: 958.521354
GRANADA - 18002

Re: SCSI Errors in LTO External Drive

Cejka Rudolf
Francisco Javier Funes Nieto wrote (2016/11/07):

> Bacula Server 7.4.4 in FreeBSD 10.3 with SCSI 29320ALP and LTO 3 External
> SCSI Drive ...
>
> Doing a btape fill, same thing with btape test, in dmesg:
>
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2 (SCSI bus reset
> occurred)
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): Retrying command (per sense data)
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM
> command to clear this state.
>
> I don't know what's the error means but I think it's a Cable or Unit error.
>
> Someone  see this error before ? Any suggestion to debug the error ?
> Discard the cable or unit ?

Hi,
  I have had many problems with SCSI LTO-3. It helped me to connect just
one device per one SCSI bus and to lower speed from 320 MB/s to 160 MB/s.
My position is that External SCSI never worked with 320 MB/s. Maybe you
could have the same problem.

--
Rudolf Cejka <cejkar at fit.vutbr.cz> http://www.fit.vutbr.cz/~cejkar
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of Information Technology

Re: SCSI Errors in LTO External Drive

Ralf Brinkmann
Am 07.11.2016 um 20:57 schrieb Francisco Javier Funes Nieto:

> Hi All,
>
> Bacula Server 7.4.4 in FreeBSD 10.3 with SCSI 29320ALP and LTO 3 External
> SCSI Drive ...
>
> Doing a btape fill, same thing with btape test, in dmesg:
>
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2 (SCSI bus reset
> occurred)
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): Retrying command (per sense data)
> (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM
> command to clear this state.
>
> I don't know what's the error means but I think it's a Cable or Unit error.
>
> Someone  see this error before ? Any suggestion to debug the error ?
> Discard the cable or unit ?
>
> I've another Ultrium unit but this is internal and the server has not place
> inside to put the LTO SAS Drive.

We did have SCSI errors with our old LTO4 tape device - finally the
Bacula host did stuck on booting.

I replaced the two obviously cooked 1500nF capacitors of the LSI SAS
PCIe controller and everything was fine again.

--
Ralf Brinkmann

Re: SCSI Errors in LTO External Drive

Alberto Brosich

Hi,

my experience.
I had strange scsi errors.
Finally, after months of investigation and headache, I moved the scsi controller to another pci slot and then worked all fine.

Regards

Alberto

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 08:37:57 +0100
Ralf Brinkmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am 07.11.2016 um 20:57 schrieb Francisco Javier Funes Nieto:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Bacula Server 7.4.4 in FreeBSD 10.3 with SCSI 29320ALP and LTO 3 External
> > SCSI Drive ...
> >
> > Doing a btape fill, same thing with btape test, in dmesg:
> >
> > (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
> > (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
> > (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): SCSI sense: UNIT ATTENTION asc:29,2 (SCSI bus reset
> > occurred)
> > (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): Retrying command (per sense data)
> > (sa0:ahd0:0:3:0): tape is now frozen- use an OFFLINE, REWIND or MTEOM
> > command to clear this state.
> >
> > I don't know what's the error means but I think it's a Cable or Unit error.
> >
> > Someone  see this error before ? Any suggestion to debug the error ?
> > Discard the cable or unit ?
> >
> > I've another Ultrium unit but this is internal and the server has not place
> > inside to put the LTO SAS Drive.
>
> We did have SCSI errors with our old LTO4 tape device - finally the
> Bacula host did stuck on booting.
>
> I replaced the two obviously cooked 1500nF capacitors of the LSI SAS
> PCIe controller and everything was fine again.
>
> --
> Ralf Brinkmann

Alberto Brosich <[hidden email]>

Re: SCSI Errors in LTO External Drive

Alan Brown
On 10/11/16 08:33, Alberto Brosich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> my experience.
> I had strange scsi errors.
> Finally, after months of investigation and headache, I moved the scsi controller to another pci slot and then worked all fine.

This happens depressingly regularly if there are PCI bridges involved on
the motherboard (PCIe, PCIx or plain PCI)

A lot of the older ones are flakey under high load.

We had no end of issues with this on systems with PCIe-PCIx bridges and
more recently a 5500 chipset system with 6 PCIe x8 slots in it would
only work if certain devices were in certain slots - and adding a NVMe
drive in any slot resulted in it only seeing 32GB ram of the 96GB installed.