SD cannot connect to FD

Tom Plancon
Hello All,

I'm getting the following error when trying to back up a remote client:

01-May 17:59 pequod-fd JobId 53: Fatal error: Failed to connect to Storage daemon: gannet:9103
01-May 17:59 bacula-dir JobId 53: Fatal error: Bad response to Storage command: wanted 2000 OK storage
, got 2902 Bad storage

I have Bacula director and storage 7.0.5 installed on a CentOS 7 machine from yum. I am able to connect to the sd from bconsole, check status and label volumes successfully  I'm able to connect to the fd on a CentOS 6.8 machine from bconsole and get the status etc. However trying to run a backup on the 6.8 machine gives the above error after about 30min.

Initially the client on the 6.8 machine was bacula 5.0 so I thought that was the issue. I built a 7.0.5 client from source on the 6.8 machine but still the same error!

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! Thanks!

--
myEMAILsignature Thomas Plancon
CAD/IT MANAGER

E:  [hidden email]
W: www.bkaarchitects.com

Re: SD cannot connect to FD

francisco javier funes nieto
The sd resolv the client name ? (/etc/hosts or dns)

J.

[...]

Francisco Javier Funes Nieto [[hidden email]]
CANONIGOS
Servicios Informáticos para PYMES.
Cl. Cruz 2, 1º Oficina 7
Tlf: 958.536759 / 661134556
Fax: 958.521354
GRANADA - 18002

Re: SD cannot connect to FD

Jim Richardson
myEMAILsignature

Tom try the following

Can the console connect to the client?

# bconsole

status

3 for client

your client number

Does gannet resolve on the client?

The bacula-dir.conf storage resource address must resolve to the same IP that your bacula-sd daemon is bound to.

Has the FD bound to the 9102 port?

netstat -na | grep 9102 && netstat -na | grep bacula-fd

You will see something like 0.0.0.0:9102 or 0.0.0.0:bacula-fd

Do you have a firewall issue?

iptables -L

iptables -L | grep 9102 && iptables -L | grep bacula-fd

cat /etc/bacula/bacula-sd

I am only interested in the top “Storage” section specifically if you have and Address value.  If you don’t Bacula will bind to 0.0.0.0 if you do it will bind to that address only

Can you telnet from the client to the IP/Port of the fd?

Can you do it by name telnet gannet 9102 ?

Let me know how that works out.

Jim Richardson

[...]

CONFIDENTIALITY: This email (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email from your system. Thank you.

Re: SD cannot connect to FD

Simone Caronni-2

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Tom Plancon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Initially the client on the 6.8 machine was bacula 5.0 so I thought that was the issue. I built a 7.0.5 client from source on the 6.8 machine but still the same error!

If you don't want to use the RHEL/CentOS provided packages please use the backport repository:

In place upgrade from 5.x is supported, just pay attention to the database upgrade. Please read the various docs as described.

Regards,
--Simone

--
You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore (R. W. Emerson).

http://xkcd.com/229/
http://negativo17.org/

Re: SD cannot connect to FD

Tom Plancon

Jim,

Thanks for the great trouble shooting tips! It was a firewall issue! The telnet test showed the problem.

Still getting use to CentOS 7, it uses firewalld instead of/with, (not sure which), iptables. Did a little googling and found this at bacula.us:

  1. firewall-cmd --permanent --zone=public –add-port=9101-9103/tcp
  2. firewall-cmd --reload

Then connection was instantaneous!

Thanks again!