Quantcast

Schedule 4 disks rotating weekly

Sergio Belkin-2
Hi,

I have 4 disks:

I'd want to plug every disk every monday.

So, Mondays run Full Backups and the rest of the days Differential/Incremental ones

But I've found some weird of configure, for example:

December 20th altough is the 4th week of month bacula take it as 3rd week, because is the 3rd tuesday of month, eg:

Run = Level=Differential Pool=Disk1 1th at 13:40

     January 17
Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
                               1
 2   3  4  5    6   7     8
 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31

Monday 2: Disk1 (Full)
Monday 9: Disk2
Monday 16:Disk3
Monday 23: Disk4
Monday 30: Disk1 (again) (Configure bacula to run Full)

Run = Level=Differential Pool=Disk1 1st at 13:40
Run = Level=Differential Pool=Disk1 5th at 13:40

But in february, I'd run into problems:

for example:

take a look at 2nd week:

Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa Su
     6  7  8  9  10  11  12

(The first week there is no problem, because it woud be the same disk)

Now, February 6 and 7 have no issues, because, 6 is the first monday and 7 the first tuesday. But February 8 would ignore it because is the second wednesday of the month.

I'd want that operator: rotate from disk 1 to disk 4 regardless the week of the month. Or at least is a way that set the number of week of the month regardless of the day of week?

Thanks in advance!

Sergio Belkin
LPIC-2 Certified - http://www.lpi.org

Re: Schedule 4 disks rotating weekly

Martin Simmons

> I have 4 disks:
>
> I'd want to plug every disk every monday.
>
> So, Mondays run Full Backups and the rest of the days
> Differential/Incremental ones
> I'd want that operator: rotate from disk 1 to disk 4 regardless the week of
> the month. Or at least is a way that set the number of week of the month
> regardless of the day of week?

You could use "Week of Year" notation (w01, w02 etc) plus the day (mon, tue
etc).  The schedule might have to be rewritten every year to get continuity
though.

__Martin

Re: Schedule 4 disks rotating weekly

Phil Stracchino-2
On 01/04/17 10:52, Martin Simmons wrote:

>> I have 4 disks:
>>
>> I'd want to plug every disk every monday.
>>
>> So, Mondays run Full Backups and the rest of the days
>> Differential/Incremental ones
>> I'd want that operator: rotate from disk 1 to disk 4 regardless the week of
>> the month. Or at least is a way that set the number of week of the month
>> regardless of the day of week?
>
> You could use "Week of Year" notation (w01, w02 etc) plus the day (mon, tue
> etc).  The schedule might have to be rewritten every year to get continuity
> though.

Or you could go the calendar-independent route and set an appropriate
volume use window.  If you set the volume use window to be just less
than a week, expiring late Sunday night or early Monday morning, it will
force Bacula to rotate to the next volume weekly.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications

Re: Schedule 4 disks rotating weekly

dweimer
On 2017-01-04 9:57 am, Phil Stracchino wrote:

>>> I have 4 disks:
>>>
>>> I'd want to plug every disk every monday.
>>>
>>> So, Mondays run Full Backups and the rest of the days
>>> Differential/Incremental ones
>>> I'd want that operator: rotate from disk 1 to disk 4 regardless the
>>> week of
>>> the month. Or at least is a way that set the number of week of the
>>> month
>>> regardless of the day of week?
>>
>> You could use "Week of Year" notation (w01, w02 etc) plus the day
>> (mon, tue
>> etc).  The schedule might have to be rewritten every year to get
>> continuity
>> though.
>

> Or you could go the calendar-independent route and set an appropriate
> volume use window.  If you set the volume use window to be just less
> than a week, expiring late Sunday night or early Monday morning, it
> will
> force Bacula to rotate to the next volume weekly.

the official likely most correct answer would probably be to enable a
virtual tape library and disk changer script. I am doing a similar thing
but with only 3 disks instead of 4. I had looking into setting up a
virtual tape library and about 30 minutes into trying to find out how to
make everything work I thought this is way more complicated than it
needs to be. So I rethought the idea and came up with a different
solution.

I am using multiple backup disk volumes per disk, and setting the
expiration on volumes and jobs at 18days, a few days under the 3 weeks
that the disk will be reused, that way I am sure the fulls have expired
even if some of the incremental jobs haven't before the next full as I
don't have enough disk space for a second full backup.
I then simply created 3 scripts to set the volume enable/disable
property. Then when I change the disk I run the correct script so that
it disables the other volumes and enables the current ones.

Example script, this would enable the volumes on BV100 - BV102 and
disable BV200 - BV202 & BV300 - BV303.

update volume=BV100 enabled=1
update volume=BV101 enabled=1
update volume=BV102 enabled=1

update volume=BV200 enabled=0
update volume=BV201 enabled=0
update volume=BV202 enabled=0

update volume=BV300 enabled=0
update volume=BV301 enabled=0
update volume=BV302 enabled=0

This approach may not be practical for you the virtual tape library
approach I believe will require a lot less interaction on the operators
part. In my case I am using FreeBSD on the server and encrypting the
drives with GELI encryption so I have to login and attach the volume
entering the password before it can be mounted so its not a big issue to
then open bconsole and use @intput script to enable the correct volumes.

I have been doing this for about 5 years now, originally on 4 1TB disks
and now on 3 2TB disks I couldn't afford a 4th 2Tb at the time I
upgraded all of them and just never got around to adding a 4th later.
Its been successful unless I forget to change disks, I keep the 2 not in
use in my office desk drawer for offsite copies and run my full jobs on
Monday night with incremental every now and then I forget to bring the
oldest one home on Monday and with no disk drive laying around to remind
me, I don't disable my fulls and they fail due to space and I have to do
some cleanup.

    Dean E. Weimer
    http://www.dweimer.net/

Re: Schedule 4 disks rotating weekly

Sergio Belkin-2

>> I have 4 disks:
>>
>> I'd want to plug every disk every monday.
>>
>> So, Mondays run Full Backups and the rest of the days
>> Differential/Incremental ones
>> I'd want that operator: rotate from disk 1 to disk 4 regardless the week of
>> the month. Or at least is a way that set the number of week of the month
>> regardless of the day of week?
>
> You could use "Week of Year" notation (w01, w02 etc) plus the day (mon, tue
> etc).  The schedule might have to be rewritten every year to get continuity
> though.

Or you could go the calendar-independent route and set an appropriate
volume use window.  If you set the volume use window to be just less
than a week, expiring late Sunday night or early Monday morning, it will
force Bacula to rotate to the next volume weekly.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  Landline: 603.293.8485

I've implemented a mixed solution, volume use window and time, something like that:

Schedule {
  Name = "Pool-A"
  Run = Storage=Pool-A Pool=Pool-A Level=Differential  w00,w01, w05, w09, w13, w17, w21, w25, w29, w33, w37, w41, w45, w49, w53 fri-sun at 23:00
  Run = Storage=Pool-A Pool=Pool-A Level=Differential w02, w06, w10, w14, w18, w22, w26, w30, w34, w38, w42, w46, w50  mon-thu at 23:00

}

HTH and thanks!