Tape Drive Compatibility

Quintin Giesbrecht
I have bacula setup on a Fedora Core 3 server with a Seagate 20/40 dat
tape drive currently.  We are looking at upgrading to an LTO drive.  We
are looking at 3 drives, wondering if anyone can give me feedback on any
of the drives, either good or bad.  Thanks for your time!

HP LTO Model # Q1543A#ABA
Dell Powervault 110T
Certance CL200

Thanks again!

Re: Tape Drive Compatibility

rico-13
dell pv110t should be a ibm. we have this drive and it worls very wello
with bacula.:

tapeinfo -f /dev/sg0
Product Type: Tape Drive
Vendor ID: 'IBM     '
Product ID: 'ULTRIUM-TD2     '
Revision: '3AYC'
Attached Changer: No
SerialNumber: '1110246481'
MinBlock:1
MaxBlock:16777215
SCSI ID: 6
SCSI LUN: 0
Ready: yes
BufferedMode: yes
Medium Type: 0x28
Density Code: 0x42
BlockSize: 0
DataCompEnabled: yes
DataCompCapable: yes
DataDeCompEnabled: yes
CompType: 0x1
DeCompType: 0x1
BOP: yes
Block Position: 0

Quintin Giesbrecht wrote:

>I have bacula setup on a Fedora Core 3 server with a Seagate 20/40 dat
>tape drive currently.  We are looking at upgrading to an LTO drive.  We
>are looking at 3 drives, wondering if anyone can give me feedback on any
>of the drives, either good or bad.  Thanks for your time!
>
>HP LTO Model # Q1543A#ABA
>Dell Powervault 110T
>Certance CL200
>
>Thanks again!

Re: Tape Drive Compatibility

Arno Lehmann

Quintin Giesbrecht wrote:

> I have bacula setup on a Fedora Core 3 server with a Seagate 20/40 dat
> tape drive currently.  We are looking at upgrading to an LTO drive.  We
> are looking at 3 drives, wondering if anyone can give me feedback on any
> of the drives, either good or bad.  Thanks for your time!
>
> HP LTO Model # Q1543A#ABA

It's an Ultrium-1 drive.

> Dell Powervault 110T

Ultrium-1, probably an IBM unit. Usually, they work, but they're not cheap.

> Certance CL200

According to my knowledge, there's no longer a CL200 from Quantum /
Certance. hat one was an Ultrium-1 drive, I think.

I would recommend an Ultrium-1 drive only if you can be really sure that
100GB native capacity are the right size for the next few years.

Usually, the amount of data you have to store grows faster than you
think, and having to change cartridges during a backup run while you
used the drive for only part of its estimated life time is annoying (at
least). Apart from that, I'd say you can buy any LTO drive you find and
get the quality and robustness you expect - but don't expect too much
from the half-height drives :-) Of course, I never compared many of them...

Arno

> Thanks again!

IT-Service Lehmann                    [hidden email]
Arno Lehmann                  http://www.its-lehmann.de

RE: Tape Drive Compatibility

Quintin Giesbrecht
Actually, the Certance CL200 is still listed on their website.  And yes,
we have taken into consideration that our data size will grow.  We are
currently backing up 40GB of data (using a 20/40GB DAT) - yes we are
spanning tapes now, thus the reason for the upgrade.

Thanks for your input.

> I have bacula setup on a Fedora Core 3 server with a Seagate 20/40 dat
> tape drive currently.  We are looking at upgrading to an LTO drive.
We
> are looking at 3 drives, wondering if anyone can give me feedback on
any
> of the drives, either good or bad.  Thanks for your time!
>
> HP LTO Model # Q1543A#ABA

It's an Ultrium-1 drive.