The message resource not list restored files when configured

The message resource not list restored files when configured

Wanderlei Huttel
Hello

In the message resource, there is a message-type  called:
"Restored - The ls style listing generated for each file restored is sent to this message class."

I understood I can configure it to show all files restored in joblog of some Job, but this option did not worked.

I've tried to remove the option "all" but did not worked too!

My message resource:

Messages {
  Name = Standard

  MailCommand = "/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"Bacula2 <[hidden email]>\" -s \"Bacula2: %t %e of %c %l\" %r"
  Mail = [hidden email] = all, restored, skipped

  OperatorCommand = "/sbin/bsmtp -h localhost -f \"Bacula2 <[hidden email]>\" -s \"Bacula2: Intervention needed for %j\" %r"
  Operator = [hidden email] = mount

  console = all, restored, skipped, saved
  append = "/var/log/bacula/bacula.log" = all, restored, skipped
  catalog = all, restored, skipped, saved
}

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Messages_Resource.html

Best Regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

Upgrade from 5.2.13 to 7.XX

Steven Hammond-2
We are currently using the community edition 5.2.13 on Ubuntu 14.04LTS.
We are looking are upgrading to the latest 7 version and upgrading to
Ubuntu 16.04LTS.  We are not looking at an in-place upgrade, but instead
we are looking at wiping the machine and will reconfigure it for RAID-10
(as opposed to RAID-5).  Our current backup scenario is to backup to
disks and then copy to tapes.  The volumes on disk are only for the most
recent backups (e.g., last month) so we don't mind them disappearing
since we have copies on tape.  However, I wanted to run this upgrade
scenario by the list to see if there is anything we need to watch out
for.  Essentially, we plan on doing the following:

1. Convert from RAID-10 to RAID-5 of bacula server.
2. Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
3. Install Bacula (community version 7.XX)
4. Use BSCAN to recreate our Bacula catalog

My main concern is if we recreate the catalog from the tapes and the
tapes were marked as COPY, will we still be able to restore from them if
need be in the future (since the disk volumes that were marked BACKUP
are gone)?

Steven Hammond
I.T. Manager
Cleburne, TX

Re: Upgrade from 5.2.13 to 7.XX

bscan is very useful, but in my opinion, if you are using it, you have
done something wrong.  It would be a lot faster to start with a 5.2.13
database, prune or purge anything you don't want, and maybe run dbcheck
to clean it up a bit, then upgrade it.  Although I have not tried it,
the update_database_tables shipped in version 7.4.x should be able to
upgrade all the way from a 5.0 to the current database, and it will
probably do it in one execution. Even if it fails, it would probably be
easier to upgrade the database than get involved with a potentially very
lengthy bscan.

If you cannot get the upgrade to work in a reasonable time, you can
always fall back to bscan.

On 02/15/2017 02:59 PM, Steven Hammond wrote:

> We are currently using the community edition 5.2.13 on Ubuntu 14.04LTS.
> We are looking are upgrading to the latest 7 version and upgrading to
> Ubuntu 16.04LTS.  We are not looking at an in-place upgrade, but instead
> we are looking at wiping the machine and will reconfigure it for RAID-10
> (as opposed to RAID-5).  Our current backup scenario is to backup to
> disks and then copy to tapes.  The volumes on disk are only for the most
> recent backups (e.g., last month) so we don't mind them disappearing
> since we have copies on tape.  However, I wanted to run this upgrade
> scenario by the list to see if there is anything we need to watch out
> for.  Essentially, we plan on doing the following:
>
> 1. Convert from RAID-10 to RAID-5 of bacula server.
> 2. Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
> 3. Install Bacula (community version 7.XX)
> 4. Use BSCAN to recreate our Bacula catalog
>
> My main concern is if we recreate the catalog from the tapes and the
> tapes were marked as COPY, will we still be able to restore from them if
> need be in the future (since the disk volumes that were marked BACKUP
> are gone)?
>
> Steven Hammond
> I.T. Manager
> Cleburne, TX

Re: Upgrade from 5.2.13 to 7.XX

Steven Hammond-2
Kern,

Thanks for the input.  One of the reasons for thinking of starting fresh
was we were considering redoing our current backup scenario.  We
currently swap out tapes daily, weekly, and monthly (e.g., incremental -
M-H, differential - 2-4th Friday, full - 1st Friday).  I was considering
getting rid of the M-H tapes and just using tapes as needed (our FULL
backups are less than 1TB and the daily tapes use only a small fraction
of the LTO-5 tapes).  We are also looking at using the new feature in 7
to copy to an offsite SD since we work in a chemical plant and if the
main plant were to go up in smoke, there would be nothing but a crater
(ha).  Thanks again for a great product.

Steven Hammond

On 2/15/2017 8:50 AM, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> bscan is very useful, but in my opinion, if you are using it, you have
> done something wrong.  It would be a lot faster to start with a 5.2.13
> database, prune or purge anything you don't want, and maybe run
> dbcheck to clean it up a bit, then upgrade it.  Although I have not
> tried it, the update_database_tables shipped in version 7.4.x should
> be able to upgrade all the way from a 5.0 to the current database, and
> it will probably do it in one execution. Even if it fails, it would
> probably be easier to upgrade the database than get involved with a
> potentially very lengthy bscan.
>
> If you cannot get the upgrade to work in a reasonable time, you can
> always fall back to bscan.
>
> Best regards,
> Kern
>
> On 02/15/2017 02:59 PM, Steven Hammond wrote:
>> We are currently using the community edition 5.2.13 on Ubuntu 14.04LTS.
>> We are looking are upgrading to the latest 7 version and upgrading to
>> Ubuntu 16.04LTS.  We are not looking at an in-place upgrade, but instead
>> we are looking at wiping the machine and will reconfigure it for RAID-10
>> (as opposed to RAID-5).  Our current backup scenario is to backup to
>> disks and then copy to tapes.  The volumes on disk are only for the most
>> recent backups (e.g., last month) so we don't mind them disappearing
>> since we have copies on tape.  However, I wanted to run this upgrade
>> scenario by the list to see if there is anything we need to watch out
>> for.  Essentially, we plan on doing the following:
>>
>> 1. Convert from RAID-10 to RAID-5 of bacula server.
>> 2. Install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>> 3. Install Bacula (community version 7.XX)
>> 4. Use BSCAN to recreate our Bacula catalog
>>
>> My main concern is if we recreate the catalog from the tapes and the
>> tapes were marked as COPY, will we still be able to restore from them if
>> need be in the future (since the disk volumes that were marked BACKUP
>> are gone)?
>>
>> Steven Hammond
>> I.T. Manager
>> Cleburne, TX

Re: The message resource not list restored files when configured

Radosław Korzeniewski

I could be totally wrong about it, so please take it as a hint and not a solution.

Hello

In the message resource, there is a message-type  called:
"Restored - The ls style listing generated for each file restored is sent to this message class."

"Restored" are the messages from FD, so did you enabled it in your FD?

I tested it a long time ago (about Bacula 2.x) and it was working as expected.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski