VM for bacula

Dan Langille
Hello,

I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
Bacula.

The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
running Bacula instance.

Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.

I started with:

* VirtualBox
* FreeBSD
* PostgreSQL
* simple configuration

Walk first.  Run later.

Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

Re: VM for bacula

Jon Pounder
On 10/02/2013 03:20 PM, Dan Langille wrote:

I always found that part relatively simple with the apt system on linux,
the tougher part is actually getting the preruns working, making sure
the right places are backed up, etc. Deciding on schedules and
retentions that actually are useful and fit within the storage available
is difficult at times too when stuff is always growing.

> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration
>
> Walk first.  Run later.
>
> Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.

Re: VM for bacula

Vitaly Kuznetsov-2
Dan Langille писал 02.10.2013 21:20:

> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to
> try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured,
> and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration

Have you considered creating cloud images? AWS EC2 would be a good fit
for "trying"..

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille
On 2013-10-02 15:58, jon pounder wrote:

> On 10/02/2013 03:20 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration
>
> Walk first.  Run later.
>
> Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.
>

> I always found that part relatively simple with the apt system on
> linux,

Please.  This isn't an knock at any OS. Each OS has their own way to get
stuff
installed.

> the tougher part is actually getting the preruns working, making sure
> the right places are backed up, etc. Deciding on schedules and
> retentions that actually are useful and fit within the storage
> available
> is difficult at times too when stuff is always growing.

Each situation differs.  Some solutions aren't appropriate for everyone.

On 2013-10-03 05:01, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:

> Dan Langille писал 02.10.2013 21:20:
> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to
> try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured,
> and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration
>

> Have you considered creating cloud images? AWS EC2 would be a good fit
> for "trying"..

Not specifically.

I was planning to keep the configuration part of the project (i.e.
Bacula specific)
separate from the VM part.  That is, the creation of the VM would be one
step,
and the loading of the configuration would be another step.  That way, a
new
target VM could be created by and added to the mix.

I think there would be three main parts to this process:

- installing of software (OS specific)
- configuration (Bacula specific, but slightly OS-specific too; e.g.
file locations)
- export of VM for distribuation

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

Re: VM for bacula

Josh Fisher
On 10/3/2013 9:16 AM, Dan Langille wrote:

> On 2013-10-03 05:01, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
>
> Have you considered creating cloud images? AWS EC2 would be a good fit
> for "trying"..
> Not specifically.
>
> I was planning to keep the configuration part of the project (i.e.
> Bacula specific)
> separate from the VM part.  That is, the creation of the VM would be one
> step,
> and the loading of the configuration would be another step.  That way, a
> new
> target VM could be created by and added to the mix.
>
> I think there would be three main parts to this process:
>
> - installing of software (OS specific)
> - configuration (Bacula specific, but slightly OS-specific too; e.g.
> file locations)
> - export of VM for distribuation

I would add a 4th item:
   -  VM setup/configuration

Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That can
be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a tape
lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille
On 2013-10-03 11:20, Josh Fisher wrote:

> On 10/3/2013 9:16 AM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 2013-10-03 05:01, Vitaly Kuznetsov wrote:
>
> Have you considered creating cloud images? AWS EC2 would be a good fit
> for "trying"..
> Not specifically.
>
> I was planning to keep the configuration part of the project (i.e.
> Bacula specific)
> separate from the VM part.  That is, the creation of the VM would be
> one
> step,
> and the loading of the configuration would be another step.  That way,
> new
> target VM could be created by and added to the mix.
>
> I think there would be three main parts to this process:
>
> - installing of software (OS specific)
> - configuration (Bacula specific, but slightly OS-specific too; e.g.
> file locations)
> - export of VM for distribuation
>
> I would add a 4th item:
> -  VM setup/configuration

There will be some VM configuration for each VM, yes.  For example, on
FreeBSD,
this line, amongst others, would be added to /etc/rc.conf:

bacula_server_enable="YES"

> Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
> appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
> can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
> tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?

To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
intend
for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

Re: VM for bacula

Radosław Korzeniewski
Hello,

2013/10/3 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
> Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
> appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
> can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
> tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?

To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
intend
for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?

For testing only you can use VTL inside VM.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille
On 2013-10-04 04:54, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/3 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
>
> appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
> can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
> tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?
>
> To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
> intend
> for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?
>
> For testing only you can use VTL inside VM.

Yes, the virtual tape library is well tested and known to work well.
It is thoroughly exercised by the regression testing.  Use of the VTL
would be a good scenario to include within this project.

On 2013-10-04 04:54, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
Hello,

2013/10/3 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>

Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the

appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?

To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
intend
for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?

For testing only you can use VTL inside VM.

Yes, the virtual tape library is well tested and known to work well.
It is thoroughly exercised by the regression testing.  Use of the VTL
would be a good scenario to include within this project.

I mean "real" VTL, not a "fake" build in Bacula itself. When someone wants to check how Bacula work with a real tape library, I show him a VTL, ie:

# lsscsi -g
[1:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  QEMU     QEMU DVD-ROM     1.1.  /dev/sr0  /dev/sg0
[2:0:0:0]    mediumx STK      L700             0104  /dev/sch0  /dev/sg9
[2:0:1:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st0  /dev/sg1
[2:0:2:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st1  /dev/sg2
[2:0:3:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st2  /dev/sg3
[2:0:4:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st3  /dev/sg4
[2:0:8:0]    mediumx STK      L80              0104  /dev/sch1  /dev/sg10
[2:0:9:0]    tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st4  /dev/sg5
[2:0:10:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st5  /dev/sg6
[2:0:11:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st6  /dev/sg7
[2:0:12:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st7  /dev/sg8

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille
On 2013-10-04 07:49, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/4 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> On 2013-10-04 04:54, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/3 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
>
> appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
> can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
> tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?
>
> To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
> intend
> for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?
>
> For testing only you can use VTL inside VM.
>
> Yes, the virtual tape library is well tested and known to work well.
> It is thoroughly exercised by the regression testing.  Use of the VTL
> would be a good scenario to include within this project.
>
> I mean "real" VTL, not a "fake" build in Bacula itself. When someone
> wants to check how Bacula work with a real tape library, I show him a
> VTL, ie:
>
> # lsscsi -g
> [1:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  QEMU     QEMU DVD-ROM     1.1.  /dev/sr0  /dev/sg0
> [2:0:0:0]    mediumx STK      L700             0104  /dev/sch0
>  /dev/sg9
> [2:0:1:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st0  /dev/sg1
> [2:0:2:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st1  /dev/sg2
> [2:0:3:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st2  /dev/sg3
> [2:0:4:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st3  /dev/sg4
> [2:0:8:0]    mediumx STK      L80              0104  /dev/sch1
>  /dev/sg10
> [2:0:9:0]    tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st4  /dev/sg5
> [2:0:10:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st5  /dev/sg6
> [2:0:11:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st6  /dev/sg7
> [2:0:12:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st7  /dev/sg8

You're going to make me guess what tool this is?  :)

Do you have a URL?

Hello,

On 2013-10-04 04:54, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

Hello,

[...]

I thought everybody know it. :)
MHVTL is your key.

best regards
--
Radosław Korzeniewski

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille
On 2013-10-04 09:35, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:

> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/4 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> On 2013-10-04 07:49, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/4 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> On 2013-10-04 04:54, Radosław Korzeniewski wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> 2013/10/3 Dan Langille <[hidden email]>
>
> Regardless of target, there will be some VM configuring to get the
>
> appropriate backup device mapped so that bacula-sd can use it. That
> can be nontrivial, particularly if SCSI passthrough is required for a
> tape lbirary, etc. Or are you just going to support disk storage only?
>
> To get SCSI going from within the VM would be interesting.  Do you
> intend
> for the VM to access external SCSI devices on the host?
>
> For testing only you can use VTL inside VM.
>
> Yes, the virtual tape library is well tested and known to work well.
> It is thoroughly exercised by the regression testing.  Use of the VTL
> would be a good scenario to include within this project.
>
> I mean "real" VTL, not a "fake" build in Bacula itself. When someone
> wants to check how Bacula work with a real tape library, I show him a
> VTL, ie:
>
> # lsscsi -g
> [1:0:0:0]    cd/dvd  QEMU     QEMU DVD-ROM     1.1.  /dev/sr0  /dev/sg0
> [2:0:0:0]    mediumx STK      L700             0104  /dev/sch0
>  /dev/sg9
> [2:0:1:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st0  /dev/sg1
> [2:0:2:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD5      0104  /dev/st1  /dev/sg2
> [2:0:3:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st2  /dev/sg3
> [2:0:4:0]    tape    IBM      ULT3580-TD4      0104  /dev/st3  /dev/sg4
> [2:0:8:0]    mediumx STK      L80              0104  /dev/sch1
>  /dev/sg10
> [2:0:9:0]    tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st4  /dev/sg5
> [2:0:10:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st5  /dev/sg6
> [2:0:11:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st6  /dev/sg7
> [2:0:12:0]   tape    STK      T10000B          0104  /dev/st7  /dev/sg8
>
> You're going to make me guess what tool this is?  :)
>
> I thought everybody know it. :)

I think that is wrong.  :)

In which case, it seems like https://sites.google.com/site/linuxvtl2/

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

Re: VM for bacula

Victor Hugo dos Santos
Hello Dan,

How are you ??

is a great idea !!! :-D

remember that you can convert the VM image from one system to ohter
(vmware -> xen or xen -> virtualbox or etc).
the only problem is the drivers and agents, for example... to get the
best peformance in xenserver, you need install the xen agent
(xentools).  !!

in this case... "maybe" you can install all the agents/drivers in the
VM and make a script to select the correct driver in base of OS.

bye

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 4:20 PM, Dan Langille <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration
>
> Walk first.  Run later.
>
> Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.
>
> --
> Dan Langille - http://langille.org/

Victor Hugo dos Santos
http://www.vhsantos.net
Linux Counter #224399

Re: VM for bacula

Marcin Haba
On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 15:20 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
> Bacula.
>
> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
> running Bacula instance.
>
> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>
> I started with:
>
> * VirtualBox
> * FreeBSD
> * PostgreSQL
> * simple configuration
>
> Walk first.  Run later.
>
> Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.

Hello,

Nice idea :)

Are you going to include to the OS an iSCSI initiator? I think that it
would be nice feature that makes available to connect to every storage
available by iSCSI target (VTLs too). It is easier than storage
configuration on hypervisor and next connecting him to guest OS.

Best regards.
Marcin Haba (gani)

Re: VM for bacula

Dan Langille

On Oct 6, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Marcin Haba wrote:

> On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 15:20 -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have created a new project.  The goal: make it easy for people to try
>> Bacula.
>>
>> The plan: create VM images which contain an installed, configured, and
>> running Bacula instance.
>>
>> Why: The biggest hurdle to using any software is installation and
>> configuration.  Let people try Bacula without having to install.
>>
>> I started with:
>>
>> * VirtualBox
>> * FreeBSD
>> * PostgreSQL
>> * simple configuration
>>
>> Walk first.  Run later.
>>
>> Anyone wishing to try the alpha, please contact me offlist.
>
> Hello,
>
> Nice idea :)
>
> Are you going to include to the OS an iSCSI initiator? I think that it
> would be nice feature that makes available to connect to every storage
> available by iSCSI target (VTLs too). It is easier than storage
> configuration on hypervisor and next connecting him to guest OS.

No, not at this time.

The initial plans are just for a 'try me' scenario, not for production use.

As in, here is a running instance of Bacula, no configuration necessary.  Play.  Learn.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org

Re: VM for bacula

Victor Hugo dos Santos
hello Dan,

any update about this ???
or it is in stand by now ?

thanks

On 2013-10-23 22:58, Victor Hugo dos Santos wrote:
> hello Dan,
>
> any update about this ???
> or it is in stand by now ?

I've made two releases.  The first one didn't have perl, so the default
Catalog backup failed.  The second one fixes that issue.

See http://www.langille.org/bacula-vm/

The latest is bacula-vm-0.1-FreeBSD-92x64.ova

Future releases will included the Bacula release in the title.  The
above contains Bacula 5.2.12 (if memory serves).

Thanks for following up here.  I forgot.  My thanks to Javier Funes for
helping.  We were communicating over Twitter.

History here: https://twitter.com/search?q=bacula-vm&src=typd