bacula and bare metal recovery

Victor Hugo dos Santos
Hello masters,

I'm finding information about bacula and bare metal recovery (not be
the bare metal  option from baculasystems).

I will need restore a complete system to a new server/disk makeing the
process the most easy possible to the "enduser" !!!

Note: is only to linux server with LVM.

Any url or commentary about it ???

thanks

Victor Hugo dos Santos
http://www.vhsantos.net
Linux Counter #224399

Re: bacula and bare metal recovery

Kern Sibbald
Bacula used to have a bare metal restore feature (a separate CD if I
remember right), but doing bare metal recovery is extremely hard because
of so many different boot procedures in different distros and a
constantly changing boot procedures on a given machine.  It is no longer
supported because if I continued to do so I would have no time for Bacula.

If you keep good backups, I have found a viable substitute to be:
1. Restore the OS from scratch on fresh disks using the distro's install
images.
2a. Restore the last Bacula backup
or
2b. Restore the changed files from the Bacula backup in a temporary
location and move them into place.

Of course, the Bacula Enterprise bare metal restore is better because it
is much more reliable and allows easy bare metal restore of many
different machines (i.e. adapted for a big enterprise situation).