bacula-dir permanent connect to database (version 7.4.3)

bacula-dir permanent connect to database (version 7.4.3)

Andrey Mursenkov
Hello,

what connection type does bacula-dir use while connecting to database,
permanent or not?

If bacula-dir uses permanent connection does it support reconnect?

Here what I can see:

When I launch bacula-console and run job manually, bacula-dir
establishes network connection to database and keep it till I close
bacula-console. If some network error occurs during this session any
sequential job commands fails dew to database unavailability.

I was trying to open a bug (http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=2283) but
it was closed. It seems to me that bacula-dir indeed uses permanent
connections. I think there may be some misunderstanding on my side.
Please explain.

Debain 8, Bacula 7.4.3.

--

Mursenkov Andrey

Re: bacula-dir permanent connect to database (version 7.4.3)

Wanderlei Huttel
Hello Andrey

As Kern said in that bugreport, "Every job that starts opens a new connection (sometimes during the job additional connections will be opened)."
But is not persistent.

If you are running a command "list files jobid=XXX" of a job with some million of files and you have connection problems, maybe bconsole can be close, but is very rare.
Probably you can have a network issue and not bacula issue

If you have some problem about connection lost with client or storage, is interesting activate the option "Heartbeat Interval" in some Resources:
Heartbeat Interval = 300 seconds  # Is a good configuration

Include the option above in the following files/resources:
bacula-dir.conf - Director, Storage, Client
bacula-fd.conf - FileDaemon (client side)

Best regards

Wanderlei Hüttel

[...]

Hello, thank you for reply.

But Heartbeat interval is a socket option, and is not what I need.

Let me be more precise:

after completion job in bacula-console:

# netstat -nap|grep ESTABLISHED|grep bacula-dir
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:55336         127.0.0.1:5432          ESTABLISHED 10244/bacula-dir
tcp        0      0 192.168.63.16:9101      192.168.63.16:51950     ESTABLISHED 10244/bacula-dir

as you can see there is still established database connection after job completion (to 127.0.0.1 port 5432), if I run the second job the same connection is used (no new connection is opened, and the first one remains established)

If I restart database and in the same console try to run job, I get these errors:

17-май 16:16 sup1-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: bdb.h:107 bdb.h:107 query SELECT ClientId,Uname FROM Client WHERE Name='serv1' failed:

17-май 16:17 sup1-dir JobId 0: Error: sql_create.c:514 Create DB Client record INSERT INTO Client (Name,Uname,AutoPrune,FileRetention,JobRetention) VALUES ('serv1','',1,31536000,31536000) failed. ERR=...

17-май 16:18 sup1-dir JobId 0: Fatal error: Could not create Client record. ERR=Query failed: INSERT INTO Log (JobId, Time, LogText) VALUES (0,'2017-05-17 16:17:56','sup1-dir JobId 0: Error: sql_create.c:514 Create DB Client record INSERT INTO Client (Name,Uname,AutoPrune,FileRetention,JobRetention) VALUES (''serv1'','''',1,31536000,31536000) failed. ERR=...

and of course no established connection appear in netstat

If it helps to clear the situation I can show tcpdump output.

--

Mursenkov Andrey

On 05/17/2017 04:03 PM, Wanderlei Huttel wrote:
[...]

Well, first, you should not be getting database disconnects.  If you
are, either something is configured incorrectly, or perhaps you are
running your database on a machine other than where the Director is,
which is possible but not really recommended for performance reasons.

The only time that Bacula will stop because of a database problem is
when Bacula first starts.  Bacula attempts to connect to the database
and on failure will retry for a certain period (5 minutes I think). If
it cannot establish a connection, Bacula gives up and will not run.  If
the connection succeeds, Bacula closes the connection and runs.  None of
Bacula's connections to the database are permanent.

In all other cases, a new database connection is done for each job that
starts and terminated at the end of the job.  For a console, it can open
and close the database connections multiple times if it is needed to
satisfy a command. The principles are very similar for a Console to a
Job. If the connection drops while a job is running, the job is failed,
but Bacula continues running other jobs.  In production environments, it
is rare that a database connection is dropped.

If your behavior is other than the above, most likely you have either a
bad Bacula build or installation or a problem with your database
server.  Bacula only supports MySQL and PostgreSQL.   On some distros
they have replaced MySQL with MariaDB and though we do not "officially"
support it (lack of resources), it seems to work perfectly well.

On 05/17/2017 02:32 PM, Andrey Mursenkov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> what connection type does bacula-dir use while connecting to database,
> permanent or not?
>
> If bacula-dir uses permanent connection does it support reconnect?
>

> Here what I can see:
>
> When I launch bacula-console and run job manually, bacula-dir
> establishes network connection to database and keep it till I close
> bacula-console. If some network error occurs during this session any
> sequential job commands fails dew to database unavailability.
>
> I was trying to open a bug (http://bugs.bacula.org/view.php?id=2283) but
> it was closed. It seems to me that bacula-dir indeed uses permanent
> connections. I think there may be some misunderstanding on my side.
> Please explain.
>
> Debain 8, Bacula 7.4.3.
>
> --
>
> Mursenkov Andrey

Re: bacula-dir permanent connect to database (version 7.4.3)

In looking at your output, I see that you are using a TCP connection.  That is not the optimal way or the default way to run Bacula with a local database.  On my server:

netstat -nap|grep bacula-dir

I get:

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:9101            0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      1660/bacula-dir
unix  2      [ ]         DGRAM                    201036   1660/bacula-dir

I suspect that the "permanent" connection you see is something that the PostgreSQL client library does itself as a control mechanism, and in that case, if that connection drops perhaps the client library ceases to work.

I use the default bacula-dir.conf for the Catalog.

Catalog {
  Name = BackupDB
  dbname = bacula; user = bacula; password = "highly secret"
}

On 05/17/2017 03:33 PM, Andrey Mursenkov wrote:

[...]

Got it, thank you for explanation.

I wondered  why this connect was running. I know that it is better to use filesystem sockets on local machine, just got the same behavior on file sockets and gave a try to tcp setup, but saw this permanent connect.

Thought it was a bacula bug but guess it is really a postgresql library issue.

--

Mursenkov Andrey