Quantcast

bacula feedback about documentation

Serge Pouliquen
Hi,

Currently, I'm not a user of bacula and I'm only reading the
documentation in order to determine which backup solution I will choose.

I'm planning to set a backup for my personal computer, no server in
schedule at the moment.

A simple solution could be enough and not too expensive in time.

I was interested in bacula with SQLite, but looks unreliable according
to documentation.

Please find below, some remaining questions / feedbacks after reading of
documentation:

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Installing_Bacula.html

Building Bacula from Source
SQLite is not supported on Solaris. This is because it frequently fails
with bus errors. However SQLite3 may work.
What Database to Use?
However, we should note that a number of users have had unexplained
database corruption with SQLite.
-with-sqlite3=sqlite3-path
     This enables use of the SQLite version 3.x database. The
sqlite3-path is not normally specified as Bacula looks for the necessary
components in a standard location (depkgs/sqlite3). See Installing and
Configuring SQLiteSqlLiteChapter chapter of this manual for more
details. SQLite3 is not supported on Solaris.

1/ I didn't find the SQLite Chapter, Is it possible to update documentation
in order to set a link or update formulation ?

http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/main/Installing_Configuring_SQLi.html

PRAGMA synchronous=OFF

2/ I found that page. Is that option the possible source of sqlite
unreliability ?

3/ I have some difficulties to determine the current status for SQLite
and SQLite3
Sometime the first is used, sometime it is indicated that it is only the
second.

It is good to warn about SQLite, but what is current status ?
Documentation of version 5.0.x contains "similar" informations. It may
have changed, but maybe not.

I'm taking time to submit my feedbacks because my choice may change in a
few months. I hope to find better answer to my questions next time I
will evaluate my need and reading the documentation.

Regards,
Serge Pouliquen

Re: bacula feedback about documentation

Phil Stracchino-2
On 02/08/17 19:09, Serge Pouliquen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Currently, I'm not a user of bacula and I'm only reading the
> documentation in order to determine which backup solution I will choose.
>
> I'm planning to set a backup for my personal computer, no server in
> schedule at the moment.
>
> A simple solution could be enough and not too expensive in time.
>
> I was interested in bacula with SQLite, but looks unreliable according
> to documentation.

[...]

> It is good to warn about SQLite, but what is current status ?
> Documentation of version 5.0.x contains "similar" informations. It may
> have changed, but maybe not.

It is my understanding that SQLite support was removed some time ago
because it just didn't work adequately.  SQlite was never designed for
the kind of load an application like Bacula puts on it.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications

Re: bacula feedback about documentation

The documentation concerning SQLite is somewhat out of date, and for the
most part was written concerning SQLlite and not SQLite3, which is as
far as I know stable.  The code for SQLite3 remains in Bacula, but it is
no longer supported.  As far as I know, it works perfectly fine, but it
is terribly slow compared to MySQL and PostgreSQL, except for very small
workloads.  SQLite3 is embedded in may products (not in Bacula) and so
the author has made and succeeded in a considerable effort to bring it
up to date and to make it stable.

For a small workload, I recommend MySQL, but for larger workloads (more
then 20 backups per night) PostgreSQL performs better. PostgreSQL is
slightly harder to install than MySQL, but once installed works
flawlessly with Bacula.

Best regards,
kern