baculum vs. bweb gui

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

baculum vs. bweb gui

Ulrich Leodolter-2
Hello Kern,

i have installed new baculum gui and played a little bit.
first i tried it to install a location /baculum, but it seems
it can only be installed at document root /, hopefully this
can be made configurable in one of the next releases.

i have still installed bweb from 5.2.13 on my web server and
it works too against 7.0.2.

why has bweb completely removed from bacula 7.0.x ?
baculum has really nice features, the config wizard and the
integrated restore.  

but it is not a replacement for bweb, i am missing statistical
features and graphs, the timing graph of bweb was very
helpful to visualize what is going on when more then 100 jobs
run overnight.  i liked also the autochanger feature of bweb.

can u explain a little bit what happened to bweb and why it was
removed.  i am not a php programmer and more used to perl, that's
another reason why i miss it.

Best regards
Ulrich




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Kern Sibbald
On 04/02/2014 09:39 PM, Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> Hello Kern,
>
> i have installed new baculum gui and played a little bit.
> first i tried it to install a location /baculum, but it seems
> it can only be installed at document root /, hopefully this
> can be made configurable in one of the next releases.
Yes, I suspect that is no problem. I will pass it on to the author. Who
has probably already seen your email.
>
> i have still installed bweb from 5.2.13 on my web server and
> it works too against 7.0.2.
>
> why has bweb completely removed from bacula 7.0.x ?
It is not being updated any more, and we would prefer to privilege Baculum.

> baculum has really nice features, the config wizard and the
> integrated restore.  
>
> but it is not a replacement for bweb, i am missing statistical
> features and graphs, the timing graph of bweb was very
> helpful to visualize what is going on when more then 100 jobs
> run overnight.  i liked also the autochanger feature of bweb.
>
> can u explain a little bit what happened to bweb and why it was
> removed.  i am not a php programmer and more used to perl, that's
> another reason why i miss it.
Just pull it from the last release.  It should remain usable for quite a
long time.

Best regards,
Kern

>
> Best regards
> Ulrich
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Bacula-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Marcin Haba
2014-04-02 23:33 GMT+02:00 Kern Sibbald <[hidden email]>:
> On 04/02/2014 09:39 PM, Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
>> Hello Kern,
>>
>> i have installed new baculum gui and played a little bit.
>> first i tried it to install a location /baculum, but it seems
>> it can only be installed at document root /, hopefully this
>> can be made configurable in one of the next releases.
> Yes, I suspect that is no problem. I will pass it on to the author. Who
> has probably already seen your email.

Hello,

Yes, Baculum needs to be installed at document root of web server
host. Thanks for your notice about it. I will try to make available
running Baculum from subdir.

Best regards.
Marcin

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Phil Stracchino-2
In reply to this post by Kern Sibbald
Speaking of baculum ... what exactly *is* baculum?  It appears to be new
in 7.0, but is not contained in Gentoo's app-backup/bacula-7.0.2
package.  (I upgraded this morning; so far everything seems to be
working smoothly.)

I have one 5.2.5 Ubuntu client still left; Ubuntu hasn't updated yet.
This appears to be working fine for now.


--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  [hidden email]
  [hidden email]
  Landline: 603.293.8485

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Phil Stracchino-2
On 04/11/14 18:59, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> Speaking of baculum ... what exactly *is* baculum?

Doh.  Never mind.  If I were a little less overstressed right now, I
would have deduced that it is a replacement for bweb.


--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  [hidden email]
  [hidden email]
  Landline: 603.293.8485

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Marcin Haba
2014-04-12 1:00 GMT+02:00 Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]>:
> On 04/11/14 18:59, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>> Speaking of baculum ... what exactly *is* baculum?
>
> Doh.  Never mind.  If I were a little less overstressed right now, I
> would have deduced that it is a replacement for bweb.

Hi Phil,

Yes, Baculum is a new web interface for Bacula.

I do not know if it is replacement for Bweb, maybe it is just a new
tool for Bacula :-)

Best regards.
Marcin

>
>
> --
>   Phil Stracchino
>   Babylon Communications
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]
>   Landline: 603.293.8485

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Kern Sibbald
To the community:

Yes, I second Marcin: Baculum is a new Bacula web interface, and Marcin
is enthusiastic to work on it. Since it is new, it may lack some
features you want, but I am confident that will be corrected over time.

To be 100% clear on bweb.  It is still in use with the Bacula Enterprise
version, but from the community side there was/is no one to work on it,
so I am leaning toward an active project, that the community together
with Marcin can build.   As always with web applications they are more
difficult to install compared to compiled programs such as Bat.  The
problem with bat is that it relies on Qt, which is forever changing and
if you build it with the wrong version as most packagers do, it does not
work well.  In addition, despite the current difficulties of
installation, I am convinced that Web interfaces are the long term
solution.   I am *very* pleased to see this new Baculum community
contribution.

However, let's not forget the excellent bacula-web project that was
taken over by Davide Franco.  The project originally was part of the
Bacula GUI release as is Baculum, but Davide has (with my full
agreement) his own web site for it.

  http://www.bacula-web.org

With products like Baculum and Bacula-web, I am sure the future of web
GUIs for Bacula is in good hands.

Best regards,
Kern



On 04/12/2014 01:15 AM, Marcin Haba wrote:

> 2014-04-12 1:00 GMT+02:00 Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]>:
>> On 04/11/14 18:59, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>>> Speaking of baculum ... what exactly *is* baculum?
>> Doh.  Never mind.  If I were a little less overstressed right now, I
>> would have deduced that it is a replacement for bweb.
> Hi Phil,
>
> Yes, Baculum is a new web interface for Bacula.
>
> I do not know if it is replacement for Bweb, maybe it is just a new
> tool for Bacula :-)
>
> Best regards.
> Marcin
>
>>
>> --
>>   Phil Stracchino
>>   Babylon Communications
>>   [hidden email]
>>   [hidden email]
>>   Landline: 603.293.8485
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Put Bad Developers to Shame
> Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
> Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
> Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
> _______________________________________________
> Bacula-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Phil Stracchino-2
On 04/12/14 04:29, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> The
> problem with bat is that it relies on Qt, which is forever changing and
> if you build it with the wrong version as most packagers do, it does not
> work well.  In addition, despite the current difficulties of
> installation, I am convinced that Web interfaces are the long term
> solution.

I hope BAT remains part of the distribution, though.  I consider a
standalone tool a much better option than a web interface, and I am very
skeptical of the "everything in your browser" school of thought.  Purely
aside from the issue of making the browser a single point of failure, I
have never bought into the idea that the web is a one-size-fits-all tool
for everything.  If my only administration tool for a service runs only
in my browser, then I need to run a webserver for it, whether I want to
expose that large of an attack surface or not.  It's like GUI DB tools
for MySQL - the attack surface of MySQL Workbench is tiny (one secured
port); the attack surface of phpMyAdmin is huge.


--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  [hidden email]
  [hidden email]
  Landline: 603.293.8485

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Marcin Haba
Hello,

In case of the Baculum, access to service is realized by web server.
Access will be as secure as secure is your web server authentication.

On web server level you can configure HTTPS access, non-standard web
server port, IP addresses restrictions and other functions that
provides a web server.

Summing up, authentication is pushed to web server.

About your phpMyAdmin - in case of this application there is also
possible to switch authentication to web server level.

Best regards.
Marcin

2014-04-12 17:59 GMT+02:00 Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]>:

> On 04/12/14 04:29, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> The
>> problem with bat is that it relies on Qt, which is forever changing and
>> if you build it with the wrong version as most packagers do, it does not
>> work well.  In addition, despite the current difficulties of
>> installation, I am convinced that Web interfaces are the long term
>> solution.
>
> I hope BAT remains part of the distribution, though.  I consider a
> standalone tool a much better option than a web interface, and I am very
> skeptical of the "everything in your browser" school of thought.  Purely
> aside from the issue of making the browser a single point of failure, I
> have never bought into the idea that the web is a one-size-fits-all tool
> for everything.  If my only administration tool for a service runs only
> in my browser, then I need to run a webserver for it, whether I want to
> expose that large of an attack surface or not.  It's like GUI DB tools
> for MySQL - the attack surface of MySQL Workbench is tiny (one secured
> port); the attack surface of phpMyAdmin is huge.
>
>
> --
>   Phil Stracchino
>   Babylon Communications
>   [hidden email]
>   [hidden email]
>   Landline: 603.293.8485
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Put Bad Developers to Shame
> Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
> Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
> Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
> _______________________________________________
> Bacula-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel



--
"Większej miłości nikt nie ma nad tę, jak gdy kto życie swoje kładzie
za przyjaciół swoich." Jezus Chrystus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Kern Sibbald
In reply to this post by Phil Stracchino-2
On 04/12/2014 05:59 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 04/12/14 04:29, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> The
>> problem with bat is that it relies on Qt, which is forever changing and
>> if you build it with the wrong version as most packagers do, it does not
>> work well.  In addition, despite the current difficulties of
>> installation, I am convinced that Web interfaces are the long term
>> solution.
> I hope BAT remains part of the distribution, though.  
Yes, Bat remains part of the distribution and will remain in the
distribution for quite some time. It is the tool I use for managing my
home backup.  It is quite OK up to about 50 clients, but after that it
is not as convenient as the web interfaces.

Best regards,
Kern

> I consider a
> standalone tool a much better option than a web interface, and I am very
> skeptical of the "everything in your browser" school of thought.  Purely
> aside from the issue of making the browser a single point of failure, I
> have never bought into the idea that the web is a one-size-fits-all tool
> for everything.  If my only administration tool for a service runs only
> in my browser, then I need to run a webserver for it, whether I want to
> expose that large of an attack surface or not.  It's like GUI DB tools
> for MySQL - the attack surface of MySQL Workbench is tiny (one secured
> port); the attack surface of phpMyAdmin is huge.
>
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: baculum vs. bweb gui

Ondřej Garncarz
In reply to this post by Marcin Haba
Furthermore, you can restrict your VirtualHost/Location/the whole Apache
just to localhost, then create a SSH tunnel (e.g. ssh -CfNL
8000:localhost:80 server) and then access http://localhost:8000 on your
computer.

Dne 2014-04-12 18:34, Marcin Haba napsal:

> Hello,
>
> In case of the Baculum, access to service is realized by web server.
> Access will be as secure as secure is your web server authentication.
>
> On web server level you can configure HTTPS access, non-standard web
> server port, IP addresses restrictions and other functions that
> provides a web server.
>
> Summing up, authentication is pushed to web server.
>
> About your phpMyAdmin - in case of this application there is also
> possible to switch authentication to web server level.
>
> Best regards.
> Marcin
>
> 2014-04-12 17:59 GMT+02:00 Phil Stracchino <[hidden email]>:
>> On 04/12/14 04:29, Kern Sibbald wrote:
>>> The
>>> problem with bat is that it relies on Qt, which is forever changing
>>> and
>>> if you build it with the wrong version as most packagers do, it does
>>> not
>>> work well.  In addition, despite the current difficulties of
>>> installation, I am convinced that Web interfaces are the long term
>>> solution.
>>
>> I hope BAT remains part of the distribution, though.  I consider a
>> standalone tool a much better option than a web interface, and I am
>> very
>> skeptical of the "everything in your browser" school of thought.  
>> Purely
>> aside from the issue of making the browser a single point of failure,
>> I
>> have never bought into the idea that the web is a one-size-fits-all
>> tool
>> for everything.  If my only administration tool for a service runs
>> only
>> in my browser, then I need to run a webserver for it, whether I want
>> to
>> expose that large of an attack surface or not.  It's like GUI DB tools
>> for MySQL - the attack surface of MySQL Workbench is tiny (one secured
>> port); the attack surface of phpMyAdmin is huge.
>>
>>
>> --
>>   Phil Stracchino
>>   Babylon Communications
>>   [hidden email]
>>   [hidden email]
>>   Landline: 603.293.8485
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Put Bad Developers to Shame
>> Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
>> Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
>> Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
>> _______________________________________________
>> Bacula-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
Bacula-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-devel