bare metal bacula server recovery

Thing
So I would like to take my volumes that I have backed up and copy them to a
gluster NAS in a remote location.

Assuming I have a bare system with a clean bacula running but an empty
mysql database instance, how do I import the volumes into bacula? (I assume
then a recover off them is easy?)

Kind of frustrating trying to google for an answer how to do this, I guess
I am simply not using the right search terms...

So does someone have a document out there I can read please for a complete
procedure to import
volumes?

Re: bare metal bacula server recovery

Josip Deanovic
On Thursday 2017-01-26 11:34:45 Thing wrote:
> So I would like to take my volumes that I have backed up and copy them
> to a gluster NAS in a remote location.
>
> Assuming I have a bare system with a clean bacula running but an empty
> mysql database instance, how do I import the volumes into bacula? (I
> assume then a recover off them is easy?)

Yes, you can use bscan tool to read the volumes into the bacula
catalog.

If your bacula setup completely broken you can still restore files
from your volumes manually but this is another story.

If you have a clean bacula setup the bscan approach is the right
way to do it (and the easier one).

> So does someone have a document out there I can read please for a
> complete procedure to import
> volumes?

I believe that bacula manual could be helpful:
http://www.bacula.org/7.4.x-manuals/en/utility/utility.pdf

Look for bscan. It starts at section 1.7 at 10th page.

There is a section 1.7.2 Using bscan to Recreate a Catalog from a Volume

Good luck.

--
Josip Deanovic

Re: bare metal bacula server recovery

Radosław Korzeniewski
Hello,

The correct way of planing bare bacula server recovery is to restore all config files (it is a must) and a catalog data from the catalog backup (optional). If you do not have a catalog backup then you can use bscan as mentioned by Josip (alternative). Catalog recovery from catalog backup in most cases will be a far faster (and shorter in time) then bscanning all your volumes.

best regards