Quantcast

bconsole can't connect to director

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

bconsole can't connect to director

Bob Williams
Hi,

I'm new to bacula. I've modified the various conf files to suit my setup
here (IOW changed the names and passwords from the defaults), but
bconsole gets the following error message

Connecting to Director localhost:9101
21-Apr 19:01 bconsole:  Fatal error: bnet.c:870 Unable to connect to
Director daemon on localhost:9101. ERR=Connection refused

bacula-dir.conf contains the following

Director {                            # define myself
  Name = bhf-dir
  DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
  QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
  WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula/working"
  PidDirectory = "/var/run"
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
  Password = "panache"         # Console password
  Messages = Daemon
}

and bconsole.conf consists of

#
# Bacula User Agent (or Console) Configuration File
#

Director {
  Name = bhf-dir
  DIRport = 9101
  address = localhost
  Password = "panache"
}

Any suggestions what might be going wrong here?
--
Bob
Registered Linux User #463880
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E
openSUSE 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1-default, KDE 3.5.9
Intel Celeron 2.53GB, 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia GeForce 7600GS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: bconsole can't connect to director

Arno Lehmann
Hi,

21.04.2008 20:20, Bob Williams wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to bacula. I've modified the various conf files to suit my setup
> here (IOW changed the names and passwords from the defaults), but
> bconsole gets the following error message
>
> Connecting to Director localhost:9101
> 21-Apr 19:01 bconsole:  Fatal error: bnet.c:870 Unable to connect to
> Director daemon on localhost:9101. ERR=Connection refused

Have you verified the DIR is actually running ('ps -lfC bacula-dir'
for example), listening on the network interface and port (better
don't use localhost, network backups will not work...) with something
like 'netstat -tulpen | grep bacula-dir', and no firewall interferes?

Also, I assume you try to run bconsole on the same host the DIR runs on...

Arno

> bacula-dir.conf contains the following
>
> Director {                            # define myself
>   Name = bhf-dir
>   DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
>   QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
>   WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula/working"
>   PidDirectory = "/var/run"
>   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
>   Password = "panache"         # Console password
>   Messages = Daemon
> }
>
> and bconsole.conf consists of
>
> #
> # Bacula User Agent (or Console) Configuration File
> #
>
> Director {
>   Name = bhf-dir
>   DIRport = 9101
>   address = localhost
>   Password = "panache"
> }
>
> Any suggestions what might be going wrong here?

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
www.its-lehmann.de

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Fwd: bconsole can't connect to director

John Drescher
In reply to this post by Bob Williams
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John Drescher <[hidden email]>
Date: Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bconsole can't connect to director
To: Bob Williams <[hidden email]>



On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Bob Williams
 <[hidden email]> wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 >  I'm new to bacula. I've modified the various conf files to suit my setup
 >  here (IOW changed the names and passwords from the defaults), but
 >  bconsole gets the following error message
 >
 >  Connecting to Director localhost:9101
 >  21-Apr 19:01 bconsole:  Fatal error: bnet.c:870 Unable to connect to
 >  Director daemon on localhost:9101. ERR=Connection refused
 >
 >  bacula-dir.conf contains the following
 >
 >  Director {                            # define myself
 >   Name = bhf-dir
 >   DIRport = 9101                # where we listen for UA connections
 >   QueryFile = "/etc/bacula/query.sql"
 >   WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula/working"
 >   PidDirectory = "/var/run"
 >   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
 >   Password = "panache"         # Console password
 >   Messages = Daemon
 >  }
 >
 >  and bconsole.conf consists of
 >
 >  #
 >  # Bacula User Agent (or Console) Configuration File
 >  #
 >
 >  Director {
 >   Name = bhf-dir
 >   DIRport = 9101
 >   address = localhost
 >   Password = "panache"
 >  }
 >
 >  Any suggestions what might be going wrong here?
 >  --

 Did you start the bacula services / daemons?


 # ps -ef | grep bacula


 John



--
John M. Drescher

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: bconsole can't connect to director

Bob Williams
In reply to this post by Bob Williams
On Monday 21 April 2008 20:48:08 you wrote:
> Did you start the bacula services / daemons?
>
>
> # ps -ef | grep bacula
>
>
> John

No, but I have now. FD and SD are running OK, but the director still won't
run.

barrowhillfarm:/home/bob # ps -ef | grep bacula
root       803     1  0 20:56 ?        
00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-fd -c /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf
root       816     1  0 20:56 ?        
00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-sd -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf
root      2338 32360  0 21:27 pts/4    00:00:00 grep bacula

Getting closer :)
--
Bob
Registered Linux User #463880
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E
openSUSE 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1-default, KDE 3.5.9
Intel Celeron 2.53GB, 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia GeForce 7600GS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: bconsole can't connect to director

Matias Banchoff
Bob Williams escribió:

> On Monday 21 April 2008 20:48:08 you wrote:
>  
>> Did you start the bacula services / daemons?
>>
>>
>> # ps -ef | grep bacula
>>
>>
>> John
>>    
>
> No, but I have now. FD and SD are running OK, but the director still won't
> run.
>
> barrowhillfarm:/home/bob # ps -ef | grep bacula
> root       803     1  0 20:56 ?        
> 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-fd -c /etc/bacula/bacula-fd.conf
> root       816     1  0 20:56 ?        
> 00:00:00 /usr/sbin/bacula-sd -c /etc/bacula/bacula-sd.conf
> root      2338 32360  0 21:27 pts/4    00:00:00 grep bacula
>
> Getting closer :)
>  
Have you tried specifying the IP address or the domain name of your
director?  e.g., In your bacula-dir.conf:
  DIRport = 9101
  DIRAddress = 192.168.0.1
But if the director doesn't work, surely there is a configuration
problem... any way, I would check
- that the addresses are correct
- the matching between passwords (also the names used)
- the firewall rules of your hosts
- /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny  files

Bye!






-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: bconsole can't connect to director

John Drescher
In reply to this post by Bob Williams
On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Bob Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday 21 April 2008 20:48:08 you wrote:
>  > Did you start the bacula services / daemons?
>  >
>  >
>  > # ps -ef | grep bacula
>  >
>  >
>  > John
>
>  No, but I have now. FD and SD are running OK, but the director still won't
>  run.
>
Did you create the bacula catalog?

Also you can run bacula-dir from the shell and it will give you some
debug output.

# bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf -d100

John

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: bconsole can't connect to director

Bob Williams
In reply to this post by Matias Banchoff
On Tuesday 22 April 2008 01:13:17 MatiasB wrote:

> Have you tried specifying the IP address or the domain name of your
> director?  e.g., In your bacula-dir.conf:
>   DIRport = 9101
>   DIRAddress = 192.168.0.1
> But if the director doesn't work, surely there is a configuration
> problem... any way, I would check
> - that the addresses are correct
> - the matching between passwords (also the names used)
> - the firewall rules of your hosts
> - /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny  files

Adding the DIRAddress didn't work :(
I have checked that addresses, names and passwords match in all the .conf
files, over and over again. I hope I'm not ignoring the same error over
and over again ;)
At the moment I am running on one machine, so bconsole and bacula-dir are
in the same address space.
I am not running a firewall on this machine.
hosts.allow and hosts.deny are effectively empty.

Thanks for your interest, MatiasB
--
Bob
Registered Linux User #463880
GPG-FP: A6C1 457C 6DBA B13E 5524 F703 D12A FB79 926B 994E
openSUSE 10.3, Kernel 2.6.22.17-0.1-default, KDE 3.5.9
Intel Celeron 2.53GB, 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia GeForce 7600GS

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100.
Use priority code J8TL2D2.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users
Loading...