win32 restore warning on german umlauts

12

win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Ulrich Leodolter-2
Hello,

Today i have built a winbacula-2.5.14.exe (README.mingw32)
from svn trunk.  There was one issue in
bacula/src/win32/installer/winbacula.nsi,
looks like winbacula.nsi is not adapted to new manuals.

After removing the DocumentationGroup from winbacula.nsi
the installer build succeeds.

After installing winbacula-2.5.14.exe into my VirtualBox Windose
(XP SP3) i've run a new Full Backup (using Accurate = yes),
this job succeeds without problems.

Then i've run a full restore into C:/bacula-restores.
this job also terminates OK and number of restored files
is identical to previous full backup.

But there are a lots of warnings on files and directories
using german umlauts.

All warnings look like this:

13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü:
ERR=No such file or directory
13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All
Users/Startmenü/Programme/Autostart: ERR=No such file or directory

Is it a WARNING, an ERR or a BUG ?

Thanks
Ulrich

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Kern Sibbald
On Monday 13 October 2008 15:45:23 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today i have built a winbacula-2.5.14.exe (README.mingw32)
> from svn trunk.  There was one issue in
> bacula/src/win32/installer/winbacula.nsi,
> looks like winbacula.nsi is not adapted to new manuals.

Yes, we still build it with the old manual.

> After removing the DocumentationGroup from winbacula.nsi
> the installer build succeeds.
>
> After installing winbacula-2.5.14.exe into my VirtualBox Windose
> (XP SP3) i've run a new Full Backup (using Accurate = yes),
> this job succeeds without problems.
>
> Then i've run a full restore into C:/bacula-restores.
> this job also terminates OK and number of restored files
> is identical to previous full backup.
>
> But there are a lots of warnings on files and directories
> using german umlauts.

I suspect that either your Director is not setup to run UTF-8 (see the
manual), or you have some other strange configuration problem -- e.g. perhaps
you are not using VSS, though that really should not matter ...

> All warnings look like this:
>
> 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü:
> ERR=No such file or directory
> 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All
> Users/Startmenü/Programme/Autostart: ERR=No such file or directory
>

> Is it a WARNING, an ERR or a BUG ?

A warning is a warning, a "minor" but not critical error.

On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:42 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> On Monday 13 October 2008 15:45:23 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today i have built a winbacula-2.5.14.exe (README.mingw32)
> > from svn trunk.  There was one issue in
> > bacula/src/win32/installer/winbacula.nsi,
> > looks like winbacula.nsi is not adapted to new manuals.
>
> Yes, we still build it with the old manual.
>

> > After removing the DocumentationGroup from winbacula.nsi
> > the installer build succeeds.
> >
> > After installing winbacula-2.5.14.exe into my VirtualBox Windose
> > (XP SP3) i've run a new Full Backup (using Accurate = yes),
> > this job succeeds without problems.
> >
> > Then i've run a full restore into C:/bacula-restores.
> > this job also terminates OK and number of restored files
> > is identical to previous full backup.
> >
> > But there are a lots of warnings on files and directories
> > using german umlauts.
>
> I suspect that either your Director is not setup to run UTF-8 (see the
> manual), or you have some other strange configuration problem -- e.g. perhaps
> you are not using VSS, though that really should not matter ...

Hello,

the build machine runs centos 5.2 LANG=en_US.UTF-8
this is also the machine where bacula-dir runs.
catalog database backend is mysql-5.0.45-7.el5,

I looked at the manual, but sorry, how can i check if director is
correctly setup for UTF-8 ?

I am using VSS

Thanks
Ulrich

> > All warnings look like this:
> >
> > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü:
> > ERR=No such file or directory
> > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All
> > Users/Startmenü/Programme/Autostart: ERR=No such file or directory
> >

> > Is it a WARNING, an ERR or a BUG ?
>
> A warning is a warning, a "minor" but not critical error.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kern
>

> > Thanks
> > Ulrich

Ulrich Leodolter <[hidden email]>
Oesterreichische Bibliothekenverbund und Service GmbH
Bruennlbadgasse 17/2A, A-1090 Wien
Fax +43 1 4035158-30
Tel +43 1 4035158-21
Web http://www.obvsg.at

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Ulrich Leodolter-2
On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:42 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> On Monday 13 October 2008 15:45:23 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Today i have built a winbacula-2.5.14.exe (README.mingw32)
> > from svn trunk.  There was one issue in
> > bacula/src/win32/installer/winbacula.nsi,
> > looks like winbacula.nsi is not adapted to new manuals.
>
> Yes, we still build it with the old manual.
>

> > After removing the DocumentationGroup from winbacula.nsi
> > the installer build succeeds.
> >
> > After installing winbacula-2.5.14.exe into my VirtualBox Windose
> > (XP SP3) i've run a new Full Backup (using Accurate = yes),
> > this job succeeds without problems.
> >
> > Then i've run a full restore into C:/bacula-restores.
> > this job also terminates OK and number of restored files
> > is identical to previous full backup.
> >
> > But there are a lots of warnings on files and directories
> > using german umlauts.
>
> I suspect that either your Director is not setup to run UTF-8 (see the
> manual), or you have some other strange configuration problem -- e.g. perhaps
> you are not using VSS, though that really should not matter ...

Hello,

I looked a bit closer at the Warning messages and started bacula-fd.exe
with debug level 200.

1) Warning messages are limited to directories containing umlauts at
least in one path part.  Files inside such directories are restored
without warnings.  So this is a first hint.

2) I've attached a restore log for one directory (cut from
bacula-fd.trace)

There u can see 2 messages like:

FindFirstFile(C:.../): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden

Maybe the trailing (back)slash should be removed before calling
FindFirstFile.

The msdn Documentation of FindFirstFile says:
lpFileName [in]

        The directory or path, and the file name, which can include
        wildcard characters, for example, an asterisk (*) or a question
        mark (?).

        This parameter should not be NULL, an invalid string (for
        example, an empty string or a string that is missing the
        terminating null character), or end in a trailing backslash (\).

Thanks
Ulrich

> > All warnings look like this:
> >
> > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü:
> > ERR=No such file or directory
> > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All
> > Users/Startmenü/Programme/Autostart: ERR=No such file or directory
> >

> > Is it a WARNING, an ERR or a BUG ?
>
> A warning is a warning, a "minor" but not critical error.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kern
>

> > Thanks
> > Ulrich

Ulrich Leodolter <[hidden email]>
OBVSG

bacula-fd.trace.txt (4K) Download Attachment

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Matthew Rhoten
I ran across this same problem at work recently. FindFirstFile, and _stat/_wstat if you're using the C runtime, definitely don't want to see the trailing path separator.

But I looked at the code a little bit too. In compat.cpp I noticed that on 9x systems, bacula-fd will call FindFirstFileA (and other -A APIs) using UTF-8-encoded pathnames — rather than in the correct encoding for the system/user locale.

Are 9x backup clients even supported? If so, they will pretty much only work with an English OS and ASCII filenames. If not, then those code paths are stale anyway and could be taken out to simplify the compatibility layer a bit.

 -matt

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 04:37:07 Matthew Rhoten wrote:

> I ran across this same problem at work recently. FindFirstFile, and
> _stat/_wstat if you're using the C runtime, definitely don't want to see
> the trailing path separator.
>
>  But I looked at the code a little bit too. In compat.cpp I noticed that on
> 9x systems, bacula-fd will call FindFirstFileA (and other -A APIs) using
> UTF-8-encoded pathnames — rather than in the correct encoding for the
> system/user locale.
>
>  Are 9x backup clients even supported? If so, they will pretty much only
> work with an English OS and ASCII filenames. If not, then those code paths
> are stale anyway and could be taken out to simplify the compatibility layer
> a bit.
>
>   -matt

Yes, on Win 9X systems, there will certainly be problems with non-ASCII
characters.

However, Bacula uses the "best" API that is available.  The only thing that I
can imagine is that Microsoft changed the dll in which one of the API's such
as FindFirstFileW is found in their SP3 that Ulrich reported he is using.  If
Microsoft decides to move the API's around, that is going to cause us some
problems.

Ulrich, could you give me a copy of the output from running the following in
bconsole:

setdebug level=10 client=xxx
status client=xxx
setdebug level=0 client=xxx

where xxx is the client that is having problems.  This will tell use whether
or not the correct wide character APIs were found.   If there are any !
characters in the APIs= lines, then there is a problem with your OS.

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 04:37:07 Matthew Rhoten wrote:

> I ran across this same problem at work recently. FindFirstFile, and
> _stat/_wstat if you're using the C runtime, definitely don't want to see
> the trailing path separator.
>
>  But I looked at the code a little bit too. In compat.cpp I noticed that on
> 9x systems, bacula-fd will call FindFirstFileA (and other -A APIs) using
> UTF-8-encoded pathnames — rather than in the correct encoding for the
> system/user locale.
>
>  Are 9x backup clients even supported?

The code is there, but I don't have any 9x systems any more.  WinNT works
fine -- I still have an NT system until the end of this year :-)

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 10:50 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> On Wednesday 15 October 2008 04:37:07 Matthew Rhoten wrote:
> > I ran across this same problem at work recently. FindFirstFile, and
> > _stat/_wstat if you're using the C runtime, definitely don't want to see
> > the trailing path separator.
> >
> >  But I looked at the code a little bit too. In compat.cpp I noticed that on
> > 9x systems, bacula-fd will call FindFirstFileA (and other -A APIs) using
> > UTF-8-encoded pathnames — rather than in the correct encoding for the
> > system/user locale.
> >
> >  Are 9x backup clients even supported? If so, they will pretty much only
> > work with an English OS and ASCII filenames. If not, then those code paths
> > are stale anyway and could be taken out to simplify the compatibility layer
> > a bit.
> >
> >   -matt
>
> Yes, on Win 9X systems, there will certainly be problems with non-ASCII
> characters.
>
> However, Bacula uses the "best" API that is available.  The only thing that I
> can imagine is that Microsoft changed the dll in which one of the API's such
> as FindFirstFileW is found in their SP3 that Ulrich reported he is using.  If
> Microsoft decides to move the API's around, that is going to cause us some
> problems.
>
> Ulrich, could you give me a copy of the output from running the following in
> bconsole:
>
> setdebug level=10 client=xxx
> status client=xxx
> setdebug level=0 client=xxx
>
> where xxx is the client that is having problems.  This will tell use
> whether
> or not the correct wide character APIs were found.   If there are any !
> characters in the APIs= lines, then there is a problem with your OS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kern

*setdebug level=10 client=leodolter-win-fd
Connecting to Client leodolter-win-fd at leodolter-win.bibvb.ac.at:9102
2000 OK setdebug=10
*status client=leodolter-win-fd
Connecting to Client leodolter-win-fd at leodolter-win.bibvb.ac.at:9102

leodolter-win-fd Version: 2.5.15 (14 October 2008)  VSS Linux Cross-compile Win32
Daemon started 15-Oct-08 10:29, 3 Jobs run since started.
VSS enabled, Priv 0x206
APIs=OPT,ATP,LPV,CFA,CFW,
 WUL,WMKD,GFAA,GFAW,GFAEA,GFAEW,SFAA,SFAW,BR,BW,SPSP,
 WC2MB,MB2WC,FFFA,FFFW,FNFA,FNFW,SCDA,SCDW,
 GCDA,GCDW,GVPNW,GVNFVMPW
 Heap: heap=0 smbytes=241,862 max_bytes=356,373 bufs=97 max_bufs=235
 Sizeof: boffset_t=8 size_t=4 debug=10 trace=0

Running Jobs:
Director connected at: 15-Oct-08 11:49
No Jobs running.
====

Terminated Jobs:
 JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
  4273  Full     22,957    1.844 G  OK       13-Oct-08 15:02 Backup-leodolter-win
  4274           22,957    4.380 G  OK       13-Oct-08 15:15 RestoreWin
  4298  Incr         97    10.01 M  OK       14-Oct-08 02:07 Backup-leodolter-win
  4306              980    88.66 M  OK       14-Oct-08 10:43 RestoreWin
  4307              980    88.66 M  OK       14-Oct-08 12:23 RestoreWin
  4308              109    118.4 K  OK       14-Oct-08 13:10 RestoreWin
  4332  Incr      1,961    65.62 M  OK       15-Oct-08 02:06 Backup-leodolter-win
  4340            1,015    111.9 M  OK       15-Oct-08 10:41 RestoreWin
  4341  Full     22,498    1.720 G  OK       15-Oct-08 11:39 Backup-leodolter-win
  4342              999    111.9 M  OK       15-Oct-08 11:48 RestoreWin
====

Anything wrong in my APIs ?

Regards
Ulrich

On Wednesday 15 October 2008 12:01:33 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:

> [...]
> ====
>
> Terminated Jobs:
>  JobId  Level    Files      Bytes   Status   Finished        Name
>   4273  Full     22,957    1.844 G  OK       13-Oct-08 15:02
> Backup-leodolter-win 4274           22,957    4.380 G  OK       13-Oct-08
> 15:15 RestoreWin 4298  Incr         97    10.01 M  OK       14-Oct-08 02:07
> Backup-leodolter-win 4306              980    88.66 M  OK       14-Oct-08
> 10:43 RestoreWin 4307              980    88.66 M  OK       14-Oct-08 12:23
> RestoreWin 4308              109    118.4 K  OK       14-Oct-08 13:10
> RestoreWin 4332  Incr      1,961    65.62 M  OK       15-Oct-08 02:06
> Backup-leodolter-win 4340            1,015    111.9 M  OK       15-Oct-08
> 10:41 RestoreWin 4341  Full     22,498    1.720 G  OK       15-Oct-08 11:39
> Backup-leodolter-win 4342              999    111.9 M  OK       15-Oct-08

No, they all look good.

I have to admit that we have not explicitly tested the new 2.5 Win32 for
handling non-ASCII characters, so there may be something wrong.    Did you
say that you built the daemon yourself?  (I don't remember).

If you are not using any of the new features, I would recommend that you
re-install a 2.4.3 daemon and see if you have the same problems.  If you do,
then there is something strange going on that I don't understand.  If the old
version works, then we have obviously made some change that breaks something
and knowing that narrows down the problem significantly.

Another thing is that if you built the FD yourself, please let me know, and I
can build the current version, and make sure it basically works here, then
let you try it since it is possible (but unlikely) something might have gone
wrong in the build process.

On Tuesday 14 October 2008 15:22:03 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 16:42 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > On Monday 13 October 2008 15:45:23 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Today i have built a winbacula-2.5.14.exe (README.mingw32)
> > > from svn trunk.  There was one issue in
> > > bacula/src/win32/installer/winbacula.nsi,
> > > looks like winbacula.nsi is not adapted to new manuals.
> >
> > Yes, we still build it with the old manual.
> >
> > > After removing the DocumentationGroup from winbacula.nsi
> > > the installer build succeeds.
> > >
> > > After installing winbacula-2.5.14.exe into my VirtualBox Windose
> > > (XP SP3) i've run a new Full Backup (using Accurate = yes),
> > > this job succeeds without problems.
> > >
> > > Then i've run a full restore into C:/bacula-restores.
> > > this job also terminates OK and number of restored files
> > > is identical to previous full backup.
> > >
> > > But there are a lots of warnings on files and directories
> > > using german umlauts.
> >
> > I suspect that either your Director is not setup to run UTF-8 (see the
> > manual), or you have some other strange configuration problem -- e.g.
> > perhaps you are not using VSS, though that really should not matter ...
>
> Hello,
>
> I looked a bit closer at the Warning messages and started bacula-fd.exe
> with debug level 200.
>
> 1) Warning messages are limited to directories containing umlauts at
> least in one path part.  Files inside such directories are restored
> without warnings.  So this is a first hint.
>
> 2) I've attached a restore log for one directory (cut from
> bacula-fd.trace)
>
> There u can see 2 messages like:
>
> FindFirstFile(C:.../): Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden
>
> Maybe the trailing (back)slash should be removed before calling
> FindFirstFile.
>
> The msdn Documentation of FindFirstFile says:
> lpFileName [in]
>
>         The directory or path, and the file name, which can include
>         wildcard characters, for example, an asterisk (*) or a question
>         mark (?).
>
>         This parameter should not be NULL, an invalid string (for
>         example, an empty string or a string that is missing the
>         terminating null character), or end in a trailing backslash (\).
>

> Thanks
> Ulrich
>
> > > All warnings look like this:
> > >
> > > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü:
> > > ERR=No such file or directory
> > > 13-Oct 15:10 leodolter-win-fd JobId 4274:
> > > Warning: ../../findlib/mkpath.c:75 Cannot change permissions of
> > > C:/bacula-restores/C/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All
> > > Users/Startmenü/Programme/Autostart: ERR=No such file or directory
> > >

> > > Is it a WARNING, an ERR or a BUG ?
> >
> > A warning is a warning, a "minor" but not critical error.

I just took another look at this, and perhaps I now understand what is going
on, and if I am right the problem should exist on all Bacula versions.

The way Bacula restores directories is if you have explicitly backed up a path
directory, Bacula will use BackupWrite() to create the path during a restore,
providing you are putting it back into the existing tree (i.e. restoring it
to the same place).  If you are restoring it to a different location, or if
you did not explicitly select the directory item to be restored, Bacula will
have to create a sort of "dummy" directory to put the file in.  In that case,
I believe that it uses simple standard APIs (not the Wide character) APIs to
create the directory entries, and in that case, it is going to have problems.

I believe that this is documented (particularly the premissions problems) in
the Win32 chapter of the manual.  I am not sure if it talks about accented
characters.

Possibly one work around for this problem, as is already documented in the
manual, would be for you to create all these "weird" directories prior to
doing the restore.  If they pre-exist, then quite possibly Bacula will be
able to correctly use them (though I have some doubts here).

Another work around, that may or may not be possible is to copy any existing
directories that you want to restore to some other place for safekeeping,
then do a restore without specifying a "where" i.e. directly to the original
locations.  I suspect that will work

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 12:36 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> [...]
> I believe that it uses simple standard APIs (not the Wide character) APIs to
> create the directory entries, and in that case, it is going to have problems.
>
> I believe that this is documented (particularly the premissions problems) in
> the Win32 chapter of the manual.  I am not sure if it talks about accented
> characters.
>
> Possibly one work around for this problem, as is already documented in the
> manual, would be for you to create all these "weird" directories prior to
> doing the restore.  If they pre-exist, then quite possibly Bacula will be
> able to correctly use them (though I have some doubts here).
>
> Another work around, that may or may not be possible is to copy any existing
> directories that you want to restore to some other place for safekeeping,
> then do a restore without specifying a "where" i.e. directly to the original

Hi,

I have run a restore job to the original location,
marked only C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü/

Directories and Files exist, i have nothing removed or
changed at this location , last full backup was before midday.

Warning messages are still there (see attachment)
(the Error can be ignored for this issue)

I am testing new features "Accurate = yes" and "Exclude Dir Containing".
Would be nice if you can build winbacula-2.5.15.exe or newer (please
give me download link because .exe will not got through our email
server)

Maybe Warnings appear only if "Accurate = yes" (not sure, but
cant remember on 2.4.x winxp client)

Thanks
Ulrich

restore-job-4343.txt (6K) Download Attachment

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Kern Sibbald
Thanks for the update.  That makes the problem much clearer now.

I will try to look in detail at this as quickly as possible.

Kern

On Wed, 2008-10-15 at 13:44 +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> Thanks for the update.  That makes the problem much clearer now.
>
> I will try to look in detail at this as quickly as possible.
>
> Kern

Hello,

I know u are very busy, but did u find some time to look at this?

I looks like chmod() at ../../findlib/mkpath.c:72 is called
with utf8 encoded path (bacula standard), but utf8 pathnames
containg umlauts do not work with mingw32.

I verified that by writing a simple C program chmod.c
(source must be utf8 encoded)

-------------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <errno.h>

int
main()
{
        char *path = "Zubehör";
        if (chmod(path, 0775) == -1)
        {
                printf("chmod failed: %s\n", strerror(errno));
        }
        else
        {
                printf("chmod ok\n");
        }
        return 0;
}
-------------------------------------

Compiled this using bacula mingw32 cross compiler and Linux gcc.

WinXP

H:>mkdir Zubehör
H:>chmod.exe
chmod failed: no such file or directory

Linux (CentOS 5.2)

ulrich@leodolter:~$ mkdir Zubehör
ulrich@leodolter:~$ ./chmod.out
chmod ok

Possible solution for WIN32:

convert path to UTF16 and call _wchmod()

Best Regards
Ulrich

> On Wednesday 15 October 2008 13:22:33 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:

> > > I just took another look at this, and perhaps I now understand what is
> > > going on, and if I am right the problem should exist on all Bacula
> > > versions.
> > >
> > > The way Bacula restores directories is if you have explicitly backed up a
> > > path directory, Bacula will use BackupWrite() to create the path during a
> > > restore, providing you are putting it back into the existing tree (i.e.
> > > restoring it to the same place).  If you are restoring it to a different
> > > location, or if you did not explicitly select the directory item to be
> > > restored, Bacula will have to create a sort of "dummy" directory to put
> > > the file in.  In that case, I believe that it uses simple standard APIs
> > > (not the Wide character) APIs to create the directory entries, and in
> > > that case, it is going to have problems.
> > >
> > > I believe that this is documented (particularly the premissions problems)
> > > in the Win32 chapter of the manual.  I am not sure if it talks about
> > > accented characters.
> > >
> > > Possibly one work around for this problem, as is already documented in
> > > the manual, would be for you to create all these "weird" directories
> > > prior to doing the restore.  If they pre-exist, then quite possibly
> > > Bacula will be able to correctly use them (though I have some doubts
> > > here).
> > >
> > > Another work around, that may or may not be possible is to copy any
> > > existing directories that you want to restore to some other place for
> > > safekeeping, then do a restore without specifying a "where" i.e. directly
> > > to the original locations.  I suspect that will work
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have run a restore job to the original location,
> > marked only C:/Dokumente und Einstellungen/All Users/Startmenü/
> >
> > Directories and Files exist, i have nothing removed or
> > changed at this location , last full backup was before midday.
> >
> > Warning messages are still there (see attachment)
> > (the Error can be ignored for this issue)
> >
> > I am testing new features "Accurate = yes" and "Exclude Dir Containing".
> > Would be nice if you can build winbacula-2.5.15.exe or newer (please
> > give me download link because .exe will not got through our email
> > server)
> >
> > Maybe Warnings appear only if "Accurate = yes" (not sure, but
> > cant remember on 2.4.x winxp client)
> >

> > Thanks
> > Ulrich
> >
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Kern

Ulrich Leodolter <[hidden email]>
Oesterreichische Bibliothekenverbund und Service GmbH
Bruennlbadgasse 17/2A, A-1090 Wien
Fax +43 1 4035158-30
Tel +43 1 4035158-21
Web http://www.obvsg.at

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

yistoneriver

I had the same problem when I tried to restore folders with  Japanese file names in winbacula-2.4.3. I tested Ulrich's suggestion by  replacing chmod with  the following functions:

int myChmod(const char *file, int pmode)
{
     int retval;

     POOLMEM* pwszBuf = get_pool_memory(PM_FNAME);
     UTF8_2_wchar(&pwszBuf, file);
     retval = _wchmod((LPCWSTR)pwszBuf, pmode);
     free_pool_memory(pwszBuf);
     Dmsg2(300, "myChmod %s,  return value=%d¥n", file, retval);
     return retval;
}

It worked. I did not see the warning messages and the return values were zero.

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to use
wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32 portability
reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it directly with Win32
API calls.

I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and report
back.  You can find it at:

  http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe

Many thanks,

Kern

On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 23:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to use
> wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32 portability
> reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it directly with Win32
> API calls.
>
> I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and report
> back.  You can find it at:
>
>   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Kern

Hello,

Would be nice if this patch goes into win32 beta.
I have installed winbacula-2.5.16.exe on 15 clients,
and dont like to switch back.

Any plans for next beta release before 3.0.0 ?

Thx
Ulrich

On Thursday 06 November 2008 10:16:31 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 23:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to
> > use wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32
> > portability reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it
> > directly with Win32 API calls.
> >
> > I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and
> > report back.  You can find it at:
> >
> >   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > Kern
>
> Hello,
>
> Would be nice if this patch goes into win32 beta.
> I have installed winbacula-2.5.16.exe on 15 clients,
> and dont like to switch back.

This code is in the trunk SVN. I didn't realize you needed a 2.5.x version, so
I have built it with the new Win32 beta with the code included.  However,
please remember that for the moment, this is more Alpha than beta.  If it
works, it will be OK, but it could possibly blow up too.

You can find it at:

  http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.5.18.exe

Please be sure to keep the installer for the old version in case of problems.

> Any plans for next beta release before 3.0.0 ?

I was going to release one this week, but there are too many things going on,
so it will need to wait a bit longer.  I am on vacation from the 8th to the
14th, so the following week, I will probably release another beta (without
requiring the database upgrade), which, if it is tested will include the
Win32 chmod fix as well as an Exchange plugin for Win32.  I don't like to
make a release then leave on vacation.  I am sure if I did, Eric could handle
any problems that might crop up, but he has enough work at the moment without
adding that responsibility just at this moment.

By the way, the exchange plugin is included in the winbacula-2.5.18 binary.

By the way, with an LTO-3 drive and running multiple concurrent backups you
should be able to get up to 150GB/sec writing to the tape.  Doing Copy or
Migrate will probably not be as fast -- a lot depends on the CPU speed of the
SD machine.  However, to get these kinds of throughput, you really need to
examine your system in detail -- i.e. you need professional help as there are
a lot of issues concerning configuration of Bacula, but even more concerning
your hardware.

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 10:47 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> On Thursday 06 November 2008 10:16:31 Ulrich Leodolter wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-11-05 at 23:25 +0100, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Thanks for the patch.  I have modified the Bacula Win32 source code to
> > > use wide characters in chmod similar to what you did, but for Win32
> > > portability reasons, I didn't use _wchmod, but rather implemented it
> > > directly with Win32 API calls.
> > >
> > > I would appreciate it if you could test the version I have built and
> > > report back.  You can find it at:
> > >
> > >   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.4.3.exe
> > >
> > > Many thanks,
> > >
> > > Kern
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > Would be nice if this patch goes into win32 beta.
> > I have installed winbacula-2.5.16.exe on 15 clients,
> > and dont like to switch back.
>
> This code is in the trunk SVN. I didn't realize you needed a 2.5.x version, so
> I have built it with the new Win32 beta with the code included.  However,
> please remember that for the moment, this is more Alpha than beta.  If it
> works, it will be OK, but it could possibly blow up too.
>
> You can find it at:
>
>   http://www.sibbald.com/download/winbacula-2.5.18.exe
>
> Please be sure to keep the installer for the old version in case of problems.

I've installed it in my no critcal testing machine (VBox WinXP)
first restore test looks good (no chmod warnings on umlauts)

> > Any plans for next beta release before 3.0.0 ?
>
> I was going to release one this week, but there are too many things going on,
> so it will need to wait a bit longer.  I am on vacation from the 8th to the
> 14th, so the following week, I will probably release another beta (without
> requiring the database upgrade), which, if it is tested will include the
> Win32 chmod fix as well as an Exchange plugin for Win32.  I don't like to
> make a release then leave on vacation.  I am sure if I did, Eric could handle
> any problems that might crop up, but he has enough work at the moment without
> adding that responsibility just at this moment.

Thanks for infos, have a restful vacation!

> By the way, the exchange plugin is included in the winbacula-2.5.18 binary.

Nice, but we dont use Exchange :-)

> Regards,
>
> Kern
>
> By the way, with an LTO-3 drive and running multiple concurrent backups you
> should be able to get up to 150GB/sec writing to the tape.  Doing Copy or
> Migrate will probably not be as fast -- a lot depends on the CPU speed of the
> SD machine.  However, to get these kinds of throughput, you really need to
> examine your system in detail -- i.e. you need professional help as there are
> a lot of issues concerning configuration of Bacula, but even more concerning
> your hardware.
>

> > Thx
> > Ulrich

Ulrich Leodolter <[hidden email]>
OBVSG

Re: win32 restore warning on german umlauts

yistoneriver

I tested the file daemon you had proivded.  I still got the same warnings when I ran a job restoring folders whose paths include Japanese characters.

-yuji

On Friday 07 November 2008 14:07:11 yistoneriver wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tested the file daemon you had proivded.  I still got the same warnings
> when I ran a job restoring folders whose paths include Japanese characters.
>
> -yuji

Thanks for testing.  I'll have to look at the code a bit more to see what went
wrong.

12